• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90's variant covers fever...

6 posts in this topic

Well, it seems the variant fever is coming up near the big " publishers, but, regarding the titles that in the late 90's and up gathered so many variants (witchblade, fathom, darkchild, rising stars, tenth, etc...) which are the ones that are the most interesting/nice ones (either be for investisement or simply the pleasure on having the same comic with a neat cover)?!

thanks for the advices...

regards

I never colelcted variants, but I do like the Danger Girl #1 vars, both the Danger Size edition (about 11"x14" or so), and the Chromium version, which shows the 3 women wearing silver outfits like Elizabeth Hurley wore in one part of Austin Powers. There were some other interesting ones with Lady Death and other "bad girl" books from that fad which overlapped in time. The Danger Girl books sold for $100 each once upon a time, so

As for investment, a good blue chip comic will be more reliable than any gimmick. You can spend $1800 on a Batman 608 RRP, or you can spend $1800 on a nice copy of a key first app or event of a major character, and I think the latter will be the better choice 99 times out of 100. Still, I can't deny that it's a fun game to play if you don't mind losing. If there are 1000 copies of the Woverine #20 variant, that's about the lowest print run of any book he'll ever appear in, so getting in on one for under $100 might not be bad. They might double in a year. Or they might be forgotten. If you do choose to get into this arena, I'd say stick with very low print runs of very major characters. USM #1 White, Nabisco Wolverine #145, stuff like that. In a segment that is very fickle and unpredictable, these would be the best bets both for (relatively) low risk and high gain. RRPs of Superman and Batman are tempting with such low runs, but the cost of entry is high.

I never colelcted variants, but I do like the Danger Girl #1 vars, both the Danger Size edition (about 11"x14" or so), and the Chromium version, which shows the 3 women wearing silver outfits like Elizabeth Hurley wore in one part of Austin Powers. There were some other interesting ones with Lady Death and other "bad girl" books from that fad which overlapped in time. The Danger Girl books sold for $100 each once upon a time, so

As for investment, a good blue chip comic will be more reliable than any gimmick. You can spend $1800 on a Batman 608 RRP, or you can spend $1800 on a nice copy of a key first app or event of a major character, and I think the latter will be the better choice 99 times out of 100. Still, I can't deny that it's a fun game to play if you don't mind losing. If there are 1000 copies of the Woverine #20 variant, that's about the lowest print run of any book he'll ever appear in, so getting in on one for under $100 might not be bad. They might double in a year. Or they might be forgotten. If you do choose to get into this arena, I'd say stick with very low print runs of very major characters. USM #1 White, Nabisco Wolverine #145, stuff like that. In a segment that is very fickle and unpredictable, these would be the best bets both for (relatively) low risk and high gain. RRPs of Superman and Batman are tempting with such low runs, but the cost of entry is high.

I concur. angel.gif

regarding the witchblade, fathom, tomb rider, darkchylde, rising stars, etc... are the inumerous variants from these titles (and others) still hot/having people searching them?!

i'm thinking on buying some of them for re-sell (have a contact interested on selling a lot of them and asks me what i want, rather than providing a list) but fail to chose beyond so many stuff produced... tongue.gif

any help would be much appreciatted, really... flowerred.gif

thanks in advance gang.

Pdero - I collect them because I like them, but the fever is at a low chill from ebay prices - more common variants are sellig if they are around $5 - $10 a piece. You'll probably get more for the convention blank covers where you can get the artist to draw sketches on it for you