• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you tell the difference between Mylar & Poly bags?

10 posts in this topic

My fellow obsessed archivers,

I'm working on converting my entire collection to date, to mylar bags, and decent backing boards. Since 99% of my collection are all modern books, I've been trying out different size poly bags to see what sizing I like better. I've determined that I like the overall 'look' of the books in a 'modern' sized bag and board, as opposed to the 'Silver' size, which gives a bit of 'wiggle room'.

I recently purchased a run (40 comics) from a seller that indicated all the comics were stored in mylar bags, which they would come in when delivered. I'm actually excited about seeing this, as I've got ZERO experience with mylar bags. No-one locally carries them, so I haven't been able to examine them firsthand.

My questions are thus; How do you TELL the difference between a mylar bag, and a poly bag, when they're both in front of you? I'd like to be able to tell IF this run of comics I receive are actually in mylar bags or not.

My other question is this; If you were to put 'Modern' books in mylar bags, would you go with 1mil or 2mil bags? I'm looking at the 'Current' size mylites (and mylites2), and half-back backing boards from E. Gerber. Can anyone familiar with this give me some pointers?

My plan is to order a small batch of both 1mil and 2mil mylites, and see which I like better, but any advice would be helpful! flowerred.gif

Okay,

Mylar: a thicker sturdy material. The most common form has no flap, it is just open at the top. This is generally regarded as the best form of archive holder. The only downside is the cost. They are expensive for large quantities. You should use a backing board with mylar.

Mylite: a thinner form of mylar. This is the most cost effective container to be used with large collection affording the most protection for your comics. These generally have a flap and should be used with backing boards. I would recommend Mylite2 and fullbacks.

polypropelyne/polyethelyne: similar to mylite's. These are good for short term storage of comics. They will degrade the comic over a long period of time (5-10 years). Most comic book shops carry this type of bag/board.

When you have seen each of these, you will be able to tell which is which easily.

Any other questions?

Okay,

Mylar: a thicker sturdy material. The most common form has no flap, it is just open at the top. This is generally regarded as the best form of archive holder. The only downside is the cost. They are expensive for large quantities. You should use a backing board with mylar.

Mylite: a thinner form of mylar. This is the most cost effective container to be used with large collection affording the most protection for your comics. These generally have a flap and should be used with backing boards. I would recommend Mylite2 and fullbacks.

polypropelyne/polyethelyne: similar to mylite's. These are good for short term storage of comics. They will degrade the comic over a long period of time (5-10 years). Most comic book shops carry this type of bag/board.

When you have seen each of these, you will be able to tell which is which easily.

Any other questions?

Why YES!

A) Why would you go with fullbacks, as opposed to halfbacks, and yes, cost is a factor here.

B) Are mylite2's REALLY worth the extra money?

C) Would a 'Modern' comic fit 'ok' in one of their 'Current'-size 2mil mylite2's, with a board with no problems?

D) So, if I had a mylite in front of me, and a poly in front of me, I could tell the difference JUST be looking at them, or is there some kind of tactile difference you can feel? I've heard that mylar will cause a 'drag' on your fingers if you run them over it, whereas polybags will feel more 'slippery'. Opinions?

acclaim.gif

A) Why would you go with fullbacks, as opposed to halfbacks, and yes, cost is a factor here.

fullbacks are the sturdiest backing board I know of. The are the best to prevent any corner dings from handling. You can use halfbacks, but I find the fullbacks just aweseme

B) Are mylite2's REALLY worth the extra money?

the mylites are are very thin and don't feel secure. I would suggest mylite2's for the extra cost.

C) Would a 'Modern' comic fit 'ok' in one of their 'Current'-size 2mil mylite2's, with a board with no problems?

I would suggest the standard size mylite2's for all comics from 1970 onward. The current comics may fit a little loosely, but the fullback will keep them from shifting.

D) So, if I had a mylite in front of me, and a poly in front of me, I could tell the difference JUST be looking at them, or is there some kind of tactile difference you can feel? I've heard that mylar will cause a 'drag' on your fingers if you run them over it, whereas polybags will feel more 'slippery'. Opinions?

The mylite2 has a crinkly feel to it, similar to tinting for windows. Poly bags have a soft plastic type feel. polyethelyne bags are clear and flat. polypropelyne bags are cloudy and will wrinkle over time.

....dang, you didn't ask if I had anymore questions...heh.

Thanks a LOT for your thoughts on this deathlok, I certainly appreciate it. I think it's going to come down to me just biting the bullet, and ordering a small batch of the 2mil mylite2's in both 'current' and 'standard' sizes, to see which I will prefer.

I've asked a few people about whether they think the mylite 2's are worth the extra coin, and it's pretty unanimous on the 'yes' factor there. I guess the real mitigating factor here, is whether you could go with the 'current' size mylite 2's, if you used a 'half-back' board, or if the 'standard' size is being chosen because the thickness of the 'full-back' board makes the fit too tight in a 'current' size mylite 2, when used in conjuction with it.

meh. decisions, decisions...

Normally, I wouldn't go into such detail on this topic, but mylite/half-back conversions on collections can get pretty pricey, when you compare it to using poly bags, and just changing every 5-7 years. I'm just trying to work on what might be the best course of action, before I lay out the cash.

Hopefully, I'll get more opinions, but thanks for yours Deathlok!

Wel, if it helps, I just ordered 200 Mylite 2s and 200 Fullbacks. I think it is an amazing combination. Best protection for the $$$ anywhere. Mylite 1's - haven;t used them for years but they were so think and prone to tearing and splitting. Mylite 2s are a totally different animal. My BA horror books will go into them (luckily a good amount already were in mylite 2 and buffered board when I got them). I still have a supply of the GA size 4mil mylars and fullbacks I use for my pre-code horror.

Trust me, go with Standard Mylite2s for Bronze to Modern, assuming you're going to use a backing board.

Current size is just too small with any sort of backing board inside.

Ok. Define 'too small' for me. Exactly what is wrong with the package? Are you folding the comic to get it in there...it is too tight to actually get it in there...does it just 'seem' like it's too tight for your tastes?

I'm looking for something a bit more specific here. I'm pretty gentle with my comics, so it's not like I run through them like a gorilla. If the comic is 'snug' in the bag/board combo, that's perfectly fine by me. I honestly don't like having any 'wiggle-room' inside the bag when a comic an board are in there.

The thing that sucks, is that I wish I could get a sample of some of this stuff, without having to order a 100 pieces. Once I get the size of bag and board that I like, I'll place an order for 500-1000. But, I don't feel like just throwing away a bunch of cash trying to 'find' the right sizes.

I wonder if E. Gerber would be willing to send me a 'sample pack' or something...hmmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ender,

E.Gerber 725M2's with 700HB's are the way to go for your, ahem, fine collection of moderns. makepoint.gif

If you want them "snugger", go with the 700M2's and 675HB's, but I don't recommend this as the book is more susceptible to Mylar "snag", if there's not adequate marginal width. Mylar edges can be sharp, and may snag on any chip, or tear. 893whatthe.gif

I don't recommend the Mylites, as they tear easily. However they are good as an inner sleeve for 64 and 100 pagers, because they are very flexible. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just as an update to this thread...

Look what I got today!

egerber_01.jpg

egerber_02.jpg

I had actually requested a sampe of both the 'Standard' size and 'Current' size from E Gerber, but unfortunately, all they sent me was the 'Current' size. However, from my test-fittings, I can safely say that a Full-Back, in a Mylite 2, fit a squarebound modern comic in my collection just nicely. I don't think that the larger sized 'Standard' size would be what I wanted.

If anyone wants more shots of my test fittings, let me know here, and I'll post them. Also, if anyone has any requests to see how a certain comic looks/fits in these bags, let me know, and I'll take a photo for you. Keep in mind, I'm using these for MODERN comics only guys...