• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC Comicon '13 - There and Back again: Downtown Durham!

10 posts in this topic

Here we go again another con that gets bigger every year. It's hard to believe this started in an old retired dead mall that had booths literally spread out in 5-6 different vacant store spots that you needed a map to go around to.

Anyway, it's here to stay now. This is the first year that didn't have any major foul-ups other than too many people.

I love the fact that it is now spread out into the theatre and has an all three day show pop culture movie marathon that is still going on right now on Sunday night.

The Durham convention center even changed the way it presents the whole connected package of the Carolina theater/Duham Con Center/Marriott in one building.

Prior to the show (this past Wed night) I went by my LCS (the one that puts on NC Con - Ultimate Comics) for coffee and a Neal signing.

142551.jpg

On Friday night We had a great pre-show dinner out with Neal and Fam at a nice Mediterranean restaurant in Durham. Before and after the dinner came we swapped seats near Neal so everyone could get a word in...

142616.jpg

142617.jpg

142618.jpg

142622.jpg

142623.jpg

142625.jpg

He was kind enough to entertain us by bringing a table full of his recent sketch work...

142629.jpg

142624.jpg

142626.jpg

142627.jpg

142628.jpg

Josh Adams (Neal's Son) and Saori recently got married at the NY Con

in comic con style - with their Adventure Time style wedding rings (Josh got the "Butt")

142621.jpg

142619.jpg

142620.jpg

And now for the Sat part of the Con! - hopefully, someone can post more pics I had to miss Sunday, my back didn't want to cooperate, so my pics of the actual con are minimal... The lines unfortunately were long - I hate to say it but this con may have out grown this ridiculously awesome space.

142630.jpg

142631.jpg

142632.jpg

Cosplayers!!! (I was able to spend a little quality time with my kid J, he liked

his Finn costume and wanted to be in some pix)...

142636.jpg

142637.jpg

142638.jpg

142633.jpg

142634.jpg

142635.jpg

142639.jpg

I saved the best cosplay for last (one of the boardees Golden Gurl kicked raw azz on her costume as Calise from game of thrones)

Here is a post production pic of the dragon sculpt made out of paper mache!

142643.jpg

Here is the Dragon final - HELL YEAH!

142640.jpg

and the show pics...

142641.jpg

142642.jpg

The wrap up for me was the CGC Board Dinner on Sat night at our usual place the Cuban Revolution. Daniel was concerned about our parking while he was looking for prune juice and a nap, but we made it...

142645.jpg

From left to right: Banks Robinson, Wally's Comics, Sassemble, Get to the Choppa, Daniel of Capt Comics, Capt. Comics, David Shankle, David Burns, Uther, Tsp99 and Golden Gurl!

Here is a better pic of the hidden Uther, Burns and Shankle...

142644.jpg

What a way to spend a Weekend...

:cloud9:

-slym (was hoping for a lower-key show)

There is always the Lyn Anderson show at the North Raleigh Holiday Inn...

His next show is in less than a month.

No Admission, there are about 200 people that come to this show tops...

you can't get any more laid back than that.

Yeah, the size of the crowd freaked me out. I turned around and went back home...

:(

The line outside was deceiving, the line moved quickly, and it was one doorway in (after going up some outside steps) so that was what slowed things down. I waited until the show opened and tried to get in through the convention center/lobby entrance (I had been waiting inside for about 30 minutes) but was turned away even though I had my ticket/wristband. So I had to go back to the theater entrance. No one was counting heads as you entered so I don't know what difference that made.

It was kindof crowded on the inside, it actually kept me from looking at some some dealers booths as I had to leave at noon. It was a very diverse crowd - which was good.

Everyone seemed to be having a good time. It was a very nice show.

Heh - I don't mean that low-key. I just didn't think this con was going to be as crazy, as large, as "real con-like" as it was.

Plus, I am a weirdo when it comes to crowds. I just wasn't ready for that... and it isn't like the show suffered for me me not showing. I just missed out on shaking some hands and an interesting SS opportunity.

:blush:

-slym

Heh - I don't mean that low-key. I just didn't think this con was going to be as crazy, as large, as "real con-like" as it was.

Plus, I am a weirdo when it comes to crowds. I just wasn't ready for that... and it isn't like the show suffered for me me not showing. I just missed out on shaking some hands and an interesting SS opportunity.

:blush:

-slym

If you haven't been the Lyn Anderson show really is worth going to though.

Capt Comics, David Burns, David Shankle, Earl and Shelton are regulars at this show and this small show is about as nuts and bolts as you can get.

I've picked up some nice books there. And I love the fact that since it's such a collector's show that you have the opportunity to talk to locals and relax a bit.

Strangely enough, I don't think I have ever seen Ultimate Comics (the LCS that is responsible for the NC Con) set up at one of these shows - they're missing out.

Heck yeah!

I just got email confirmation that the show will be back here...

"Durham Convention Center on November 15 & 16, 2014!"

Due to the huge crowd, I just don't want Raleigh to steal back our show...

I wonder what Alan has up his sleeve for next year...

:headbang: