• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREAT SET....GL/GR run

31 posts in this topic

shame the 76 is in there. At only 9.0, its reakky a waste of money to be bought with the rest as youd have to upgrade it for the set.

It's not easy or cheep to get 76 higher then 9.0.

the 9.4s go for 150 to 250

the 9.6s for 300 to 400

I dunno about a 9.0 #76

so there were 6 9.4s and 6 9.6s plus a 9.8 (price = ???)

so the reserve was probably 6 or 7000, which would be aggressive max dollar for each book. Which explains why it didnt sell.

Other than maybe two or three of the issues, you could have bought the rest from various Heritage's auction the past few months. Most of the issues in the 80's are not that hard to find in 9.4 (or higher).

The final bid amount was about the right market value for these books. At that price, I don't think they could have been flipped at much if any profit, therefore the seller was really try to MAXIMIZE the value of these books by selling as a group. Usually, if you sell all as a group, you give a little discount but save FEES and the Buyer saves shipping.

My question is this, considering that the lot did NOT sell, want are your opinions on the reserve. Lets assume for a second that the seller was indeed seriously intending to sell and not putting up a thrill reserve just to test the market. Do you think they made a mistake in not selling? That is, is this truely a high water mark - as sfilosa indicates there is very little left in these books profit wise at that price in the current market? Did the seller miss an opportunity here, or is there a bigger market for these books down the road?

I guess it depends on how far down the road you're talking about. I agree that the bidding reached that set's current market value. I also believe that value has plateaued, and it'll be a number of years before another jump MIGHT come. In simpler terms, at their current value, supply is meeting demand.

The census on these books:

GL/GA (thanks Greg)

Way too many copies of most issue to believe that they should continue commanding greatly higher prices in the future. There are actually 43 copies on #76 in the condition or above that was listed.

Don't get me wrong, great books, but in a six months timeframe, I believe you could complete at least as nice a set without paying much more than the final bid price (if that much).

makes a lot of sense (especially factoring in that many of us have plenty more nice copies raw on top of the already swelled census)

But if these books have sort of "topped out" already....where does that leave all the other BA books? Which books DO HAVE some upside if these dont, considering their high standing and desireability by collectors? If 70s Adams books (like GLGA, XMen, Avengers, Deadman cant climb to 400 - 750 each in 9.4 (perish the thought) what can?

makes a lot of sense (especially factoring in that many of us have plenty more nice copies raw on top of the already swelled census)

But if these books have sort of "topped out" already....where does that leave all the other BA books? Which books DO HAVE some upside if these dont, considering their high standing and desireability by collectors? If 70s Adams books (like GLGA, XMen, Avengers, Deadman cant climb to 400 - 750 each in 9.4 (perish the thought) what can?

1) Adams books, were the books to have by the late 70's, especially his run on GL/GA and Batman / Detective. Maybe some of the off titles have more upside.

2) Bronze-Age books in the ultra-high grades (9.6 and up) and from pedigree collections have been extremely hot (regardless of the title). Therefore, I think they will top out soon (if they haven't already). Also, as prices for 9.4's break the $100 mark, for a particular issue, you will see a lot more copies being graded.

3) The books that could go up significantly would be a MINOR KEY, in a ultra-high grade. Something that is known, but not overly hyped. I am not a BA collector per se, so I can't really give examples. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, one of the things that has made certain BA titles hot over the past year is THE REGISTRY. As stupid as that sounds, I know people who have started to accumulate ultra-high grade books because the title is now in the Registry. gossip.gif

I think there's an upside to books where Adams worked on the cover only. While there's always been interest in the books where he did the interiors, the entry of CGC into the marketplace has created a new breed of collector, one that buys for the cover, not the book. I'm a perfect example, buying up as many Nedor Schomburg covers as I can afford.

The ship has already sailed on books like Batman #222 & 227, but there are plenty of other GREAT Adams covers out there that still have some room for growth.