• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GREAT SET....GL/GR run

31 posts in this topic

While there's always been interest in the books where he did the interiors, the entry of CGC into the marketplace has created a new breed of collector, one that buys for the cover, not the book. I'm a perfect example, buying up as many Nedor Schomburg covers as I can afford.

CGC probably has magnified being only a cover collector, but I've been one for several decades. And of course the release of the Gerber Guides, pretty much made excelerated that part of the hobby.

It's also my opinion that the Adams covers before say 1975 are the ones in greatest demand. The ones you showed, I had never even seen before.

To me the great SA / early BA period for collecting artist (i.e. paying more for a particular issue) starts with Steranko's work with Marvel (Strange Tales), moves to Adams (Marvel & DC) and ends with Barry Smith (Conan) and Wrightson (Swamp Thing). These artist books were hot issue to collected by the late 70's.

CGC probably has magnified being only a cover collector, but I've been one for several decades. And of course the release of the Gerber Guides, pretty much made excelerated that part of the hobby.

It's also my opinion that the Adams covers before say 1975 are the ones in greatest demand. The ones you showed, I had never even seen before.

Sure, cover collectors have been around for years, but now you've got many(not all) cover collectors buying exclusively slabbed books. These collectors don't even have access to the interior of their books, only the cover is relevant. To them, a Detective #405(great Adams cover, but no interior work) is just as cool or cooler than a Detective #408(Adams cover and interior art).

My point is that while there were plenty of cover collectors prior to CGC, there was still a wide disparity in the OPG between books that had Adams C/A and books that just had an Adams cover. I think that disparity is shrinking, and will continue to. Which is why you'll notice in my sig line that I'm looking for a CGC 9.4 Detective #405.

I agree with your statement that pre-1975 Adams covers are in greatest demand. The result of that is that post-1975 Adams covers are a great deal at the moment, and that's why I see a lot of potential growth there. DC Special #29 is probably the first example of a post-1975 Adams cover coming into high demand, but I doubt it will be the last.

I think the disparity between the demand for Adams' pre-75 and post-75 covers are due to two things - post-75 books are simply available in higher supply (esp high grades), and his pre-75 covers are better. Look at the 3 examples you posted - where are the detailed backgrounds!?!? The inking is less detailed as well...

I think the disparity between the demand for Adams' pre-75 and post-75 covers are due to two things - post-75 books are simply available in higher supply (esp high grades), and his pre-75 covers are better. Look at the 3 examples you posted - where are the detailed backgrounds!?!? The inking is less detailed as well...

Adams didn't always employ detailed backgrounds even pre-75. Look At Batman 243, 245, & Superman 233.

I agree that post-75 are in greater supply, but I still believe there's room for growth there, and also with Adams "cover only" books from pre-75.

Adams didn't always employ detailed backgrounds even pre-75. Look At Batman 243, 245, & Superman 233.

I agree that post-75 are in greater supply, but I still believe there's room for growth there, and also with Adams "cover only" books from pre-75.

Yeah, I definitely agree on the cover only books...if they're not already broken out in the guide, they will be soon!

the availability issue aside, Seems to me that these book sare not yet coveted is because its teh natural evolution at work. That is, 10 years ago, Bronze books were looked down on as plentiful and kinds crappy (to older SA collectors) Now BA is obviously hot and highly collectible, and we see that they are more plentiful than SA as we all believed, BUT - - still a lot tougher in 9.4 and up.

So now that BA has been outed and priced up - - whats next??? late 70s books. And cool stuff like these forgotten Adams covers are entering the stage for their turn in the spotlight. Get em while you can cause in a few years, theyll cost a lot more as the standouts of that lost era, th enew frontier, the 35 and 40 cent covers///