• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Book Gimmicks

108 posts in this topic

In a word: oversaturation, whether an individual character, the number of titles a character/team has, having to buy 90 tiles that I don't collect just to follow one storyline (which I refuse to do), or 900 variant covers of the same issue. Cases in point:

- I was really turned off in the late 80's when Marvel started printing Uncanny X-Men twice a month, and the artwork seemed to take a step down in quality. It was such an obvious money-making ploy, I just let my subscription run out (which happened twice as fast). I understand that the companies want to make money, but when they make it so obvious, it really turns me off.

- Seems like you couldn't crack open a Marvel comic in the late 80's without seeing Wolverine. They pimped him out like he was a dang crack ho. Ditto for the Punisher to a lesser degree back then.

- I've never collected Spider-Man, Superman, or Batman because I couldn't afford to buy all the titles, graphic novels, one-shots, mini-series, etc. they appeared in. As I mentioned previously, I had a year's subscription to Uncanny X-Men in the late 80's, but I never bothered trying to amass all the different X-titles and the one-shots, mini-series, etc.

Well, apparently a Star Wars #1 30cent Direct Sale w/UPC barcode lines does exist (so a blank UPC version probably doesn't exist). The latest CBG has an article on Star Wars printings and indicates that it does exist:

Image Link

So I need to find a copy of this "variant" to complete my collection of known issues... btw, here's the latest version of the Star Wars grid (which includes a copy of the Star Wars #1 Direct Sale 35cent w/ UPC barcode).