• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transitioning from Collectors to Conservators

54 posts in this topic

We've got a local comic book dealer who is collecting Canadian White issues to create a museum display around them to feature the books and create exposure.

In the film industry I believe there are lots of old films that have been rotting away in old warehouses and the film conservation groups are spending alot of $$$ to restore and save them so people can watch them.

Has any comic book art actually been LOST yet ?? I mean we got reprints up the wazoo, so I can't see any (or many) comic book artists being forgotten. Maybe the Stardust guy but even his work is not completely lost (shrug)

I would think that in films, the actors, writers and directors are the chief focus and reason for saving these old movies. In comics the focus also should be the artists and writers..... the people who worked on the books. Superman doesn't matter as much as Seigle and Shuster do.... at least he shouldn't. Yet somehow, in comics..... the people are forgotten and the hero is put on the pedestal and worshipped. Something is wrong with that.

Has any comic book art actually been LOST yet ??

TONS.

I don't mean the OA .... I mean any actual visual representation of it. I know Quality comics used to shred all the OA after the books were printed. What a shame and a loss :(

Good luck finding a Jack Cole Plastic Man page :cry:

I mean any actual visual representation of it.

You mean, are there comics that are extinct?

I'm sure there are books that used to exist that no longer do.

If I still have some of them in the end I would donate one of my Golden Age Batman's or a War cover Superman to the Smithsonian or something like that.

Extinct and endangered comics? Dodo Bird comics? hm

Yea.... I mean completely lost. Exticnt. Dodo birded. No copies of the comic. No OA. No nuthin. I thought we might have to go back before the Superman days to really start losing stuff. We even have Sunday funnies from WAYYY back in the teens so I'd be surprised to hear of comic book art that is extinct.

Yea.... I mean completely lost. Exticnt. Dodo birded. No copies of the comic. No OA. No nuthin. I thought we might have to go back before the Superman days to really start losing stuff. We even have Sunday funnies from WAYYY back in the teens so I'd be surprised to hear of comic book art that is extinct.

There are a fair number of comics with only a few known copies, so reasonable to project that there are some extinct or forgotten comics. Perhaps there are some sitting in a attic right now that'll go out with the trash this week :cry:

I talk to a local representative of the Jack Kirby Museum at every comic show. He donates his time and does his best but all he has to sell is a few buttons and crappy prints - he's pretty well begging for donations.

Can you imagine entire rooms dedicated to characters that deserve the attention? And wings just for eras and genres.

The Underground Era Wing. With faux SF sidewalk of downtown...

If we can have separate wings for rat-chewed treasures and phallus additions...then I'm in.

Yea.... I mean completely lost. Extinct. Dodo birded. No copies of the comic. No OA. No nuthin. I thought we might have to go back before the Superman days to really start losing stuff. We even have Sunday funnies from WAYYY back in the teens so I'd be surprised to hear of comic book art that is extinct.

There are a fair number of comics with only a few known copies, so reasonable to project that there are some extinct or forgotten comics. Perhaps there are some sitting in a attic right now that'll go out with the trash this week :cry:

I talk to a local representative of the Jack Kirby Museum at every comic show. He donates his time and does his best but all he has to sell is a few buttons and crappy prints - he's pretty well begging for donations.

You paint a sad picture Dave :(

Whatever that guy is doing must be the wrong approach. If "people" wanted a Kirby Museum then funding would be there and be adequate. Maybe its not really that important :(

Can you imagine entire rooms dedicated to characters that deserve the attention? And wings just for eras and genres.

The Underground Era Wing. With faux SF sidewalk of downtown...

If we can have separate wings for rat-chewed treasures and phallus additions...then I'm in.

"additions" or "editions", perv? :baiting: