• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 'other' set

3 posts in this topic

Or, at least the other set that I pursue currently

As if 530+ books in the go-go check set were not enough to keep a man occupied, those books also reminded me of some of the other books I really loved as a child.

Three things I loved more than anything else: Sci-fi reprints, Justice League of America, and Weird War Tales...

As I started working on the go-go check collection, I purchased a number of raw books to submit myself as well as acquiring slabs. Of course, I read them. Send in reading them, I was reminded how much I loved the Science Fiction stories that I had read in From Beyond the Unknown, a reprint set from the seventies, and one that I may yet collect for the memories. Only now I was in a position to collect the books that those stories originated in. Most of them, or most of the cover stories anyway, are from Strange Adventures in the many, many years pre-dating Deadman and Neal Adams. Many with beautiful Carmine Infantino covers and art, or Murphy Anderson covers and art.

Either the internet, I was no longer restricted to the poor copies I could find locally - but I was able to find books that I wanted at a reasonable price, layer issues anyway. Early issues aren't difficult to find either...just the books from the middle & late fifties - those books suck to find that present well...but I love them, and they are still more reasonable than copies of a Mystery in Space.

When the day comes that the go-go check collection is complete, or as complete as it is going to get - and I sell it - the eighteen issues of Strange Adventures will stay behind. Because.

For now

Happy Hunting!

P.S. Grade my books! I'm getting tired of the delay.

14663.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

With Strange Adventures, and it's rich and storied history, I see great journals galore in our future!

You gotta love a cover where Spacemen/Extraterrestials are hiding in the shell of a gigantic turtle. That kind of stuff fires up a child's imagination! Where's that kind of comic book creativity today?

SW3D

Given the scale discrepancies between the size of the men on the ground and the jet, I would say the jet is much further away, but it sure looks like the turtle is going to snap it up momentarily. Can you imagine that shame in the Top Gun locker room when Maverick taunts Iceman for getting his jet chomped by a giant space-turtle?