• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 10 Most WTF Wolverine Moments

62 posts in this topic

So, people in the real world behave inconsistently because that's human nature and people in the fictional world can't because they are not real, is that right?

You're using moaning comic book fans as an example of intelligent thinking?

Right..... lol

I'm sensing that you're trying really, really hard to make this an argument. Writing fictional characters requires you to maintain consistency in their personalities and that acting outside of those traits suddenly or without an established reason causes the reader to take issue with that - there really isn't any gray area here. if you can't understand that concept - no amount of rebuttals will convince you.

Very well said

Your post is so out of character.

This is a subject that absolutely infuriates me, especially when it is characters that I care about.

They have completely destroyed Spider-man to me in so many ways. The whole stupid "the other" story, the Gwen/Norman thing, the one more day , its just one thing after another.

Characters certainly evolve, but very rarely do people change their beliefs and the way they behave. It is one of the biggest problems of modern comics in my opinion. When Wolverine stops acting like Wolverine, he becomes much less interesting.

I don't know how many years ago it has been, but they completely forgot that Peter Parker was a scientific genius and used to do cool stuff like create webshooters, spider-tracers, new web formulas for different situations/villains.

It really is less of a problem of writers than it is an editorial problem. No guidance, or guidance which says, sure, do anything you want, if he don't like it, we will act like it never happened later, and that is how you end up with Doc Ock as Spider-man.

So, people in the real world behave inconsistently because that's human nature and people in the fictional world can't because they are not real, is that right?

You're using moaning comic book fans as an example of intelligent thinking?

Right..... lol

I'm sensing that you're trying really, really hard to make this an argument. Writing fictional characters requires you to maintain consistency in their personalities and that acting outside of those traits suddenly or without an established reason causes the reader to take issue with that - there really isn't any gray area here. if you can't understand that concept - no amount of rebuttals will convince you.

Very well said

Your post is so out of character.

This is a subject that absolutely infuriates me, especially when it is characters that I care about.

They have completely destroyed Spider-man to me in so many ways. The whole stupid "the other" story, the Gwen/Norman thing, the one more day , its just one thing after another.

Characters certainly evolve, but very rarely do people change their beliefs and the way they behave. It is one of the biggest problems of modern comics in my opinion. When Wolverine stops acting like Wolverine, he becomes much less interesting.

I don't know how many years ago it has been, but they completely forgot that Peter Parker was a scientific genius and used to do cool stuff like create webshooters, spider-tracers, new web formulas for different situations/villains.

It really is less of a problem of writers than it is an editorial problem. No guidance, or guidance which says, sure, do anything you want, if he don't like it, we will act like it never happened later, and that is how you end up with Doc Ock as Spider-man.

I think your last point hits it on the head- it is editorial. Almost every issue with Spider-Man was all editorial decisions. JMS originally wanted to make the kids Peter and Gwen's children. Editorial said it would look bad for Peter to have had premarital sex doh! The Other nonsense was some weird crossover that I believe got out of hand by editorial demand. It is unreadable in retrospect. OMD is a JQ issue- again goes without saying.

Dan Slott has done some impressive stuff with the character though and prior to Superior had really returned Peter to a lot of the things that made him an intriguing character. Peter was finally a recognizable scientist. Superior also continues to surprise me by how much fun it has been. I can't wait for Peter to come back (it is looking like it will be sooner rather than later).

That isn't to make Slott sound like the best Spidey writer though. I found a lot of things lacking in his run, but it was a vast improvement over where the book had been prior. Oh and notice who was EIC of Marvel…