• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 20-35: Some interesting CGC data

6 posts in this topic

Aren't the number of high graded copies exactly what you would expect with the prices as they are?

If you gave me the prices, I would probably draw something similar. Only things of note not related to rarity seem to be the price bump for the first appearance of the Scorpion in ASM 20, the first appearance of Harry Osborn in ASM 31, and the lack of a price bump for the classic cover and story in ASM 33.

Aren't the number of high graded copies exactly what you would expect with the prices as they are?

If you gave me the prices, I would probably draw something similar. Only things of note not related to rarity seem to be the price bump for the first appearance of the Scorpion in ASM 20, the first appearance of Harry Osborn in ASM 31, and the lack of a price bump for the classic cover and story in ASM 33.

Not sure if you read the blog post or not, but especially for issue 33 the data gets weird as it relates to guide price. #33 is a clear warehouse issue, and yet GP Analysis data show that collectors are paying pretty much the same for issue 33 in 9.4 as they are for 32 and 34. This agrees with the guide values all being the same. Perhaps the classic cover is causing the boost for issue 33...but bottom line, issue 33 is WAY more common in high grade and, IMHO, should not command as high a price as 32 or 34.

As for issues issues 23 and 28...the data goes a little counter to what you would expect. Usually, the pricier an issue in the guide, the more submissions you expect, and therefore you expect to see more issues in high grade just due to statistics. Take a look at the data for FF48, it's a perfect example. But you don't see that here...it's a little surprising.

Not sure if you read the blog post or not, but especially for issue 33 the data gets weird as it relates to guide price. #33 is a clear warehouse issue, and yet GP Analysis data show that collectors are paying pretty much the same for issue 33 in 9.4 as they are for 32 and 34. This agrees with the guide values all being the same. Perhaps the classic cover is causing the boost for issue 33...but bottom line, issue 33 is WAY more common in high grade and, IMHO, should not command as high a price as 32 or 34.

It's not just a classic cover. It's a classic story, as well. One of the stories that truly capture the essence of Spider-Man.

As for issues issues 23 and 28...the data goes a little counter to what you would expect. Usually, the pricier an issue in the guide, the more submissions you expect, and therefore you expect to see more issues in high grade just due to statistics. Take a look at the data for FF48, it's a perfect example. But you don't see that here...it's a little surprising.

32 and 34 sell for considerably more than 33 in 9.6/9.8. Guide price is not a particularly good indicator for high grade books in my opinion especially when using the census of high graded books.

So maybe some of the peculiarity you have noted can be explained if you think of the OSPG and High grade census numbers as a mismatch of sorts. Related but not comparable.