• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 45-53. The greatest run ever...

75 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

Thoughts? Or can you think of a better run? Would love to hear your opinions.

I'm a newbie but i love reading these posts. Not sure if Fantastic Four 45 through 53 has been covered before, but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

Just finished reading this block again and it's amazing on so many levels. Great writing and art from Lee and Kirby, incredible introductions of game changing characters like the Inhumans, Black Bolt, the Big G, Surfer, and Black Panther. Even the lower key issue 47 intros Maximus and 51 is such a brilliant story. I won't count Wyatt Wingfoot though :)

Take away the speculation with the phase 3 movie hype and this is simply amazing!

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60.

:applause:

...but has there ever been a more influential run of comics this late in a series run?

The Claremont / Cockrum / Byrne X-Men run.

Late in the title's history, issue 94 onwards, after the title had basically been written off as a no-hoper.

No, 1 - 102.

:cloud9:

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60. 67.

Fixed that for you. (thumbs u

Kidding apart, I can almost agree with Roy. #96 is also one of my favorites. And #88-89 as well. Kirby in state of grace. :cloud9:

Sinnott just took it to another level altogether.

Unbelievable pair.

It's hard to argue against this run of FF issues being at the top.

I would put Avengers #52-60 (including Special #2) as a contender, though. Black Panther joins the team, first Grim Reaper, X-men crossover, first Ultron, special 2 with an all-time classic cover and great story, first Vision, origin of Vision, origin of Ultron, first Yellowjacket, wedding of Hank and Jan. Boom.

:cloud9:

The next 20 years of Avengers stories pretty pretty much used this run as a jumping off point.

I've never really read any Silver Age FF. I really feel like I need too at some point down the line. Maybe I should invest in the Masterworks hm

And I think there are some Silver Age Spideys that might rival that run. I'm apt to feel the Romita run is stronger, but I know others feel the Ditko issues are better. I might say from around 27-40 is one of the best runs of Spidey. I felt like the first 10 spent a ton of time world building and the book truly hit its stride in the 20s. Then the Goblin became a major player. It might even start earlier, but I've never actually read anything from 14-19 as I'm a purest and waiting until I have those issues in hand.

We could probably find some Action Comics, or the first 7 Spider-man issues etc.

But yeah the 45-53 is a great run, and only getting better.

Is there anything of note in the Action run that stands out? I've never read anything outside of modern action, but I've never heard anyone really put the Golden/Silver Age Actions up as a great title. It always felt almost like the Archie of super hero books. Please educate me if I'm wrong. I'm up for something new to read…

+1

Is there anything of note in the Action run that stands out? I've never read anything outside of modern action, but I've never heard anyone really put the Golden/Silver Age Actions up as a great title. It always felt almost like the Archie of super hero books. Please educate me if I'm wrong. I'm up for something new to read…

I was thinking the same thing this weekend.

Like If you ranked the top DC stories/arcs of all time, there might be 1 or two Superman ones (I"m thinking "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and All-Star Superman) for every 10 Batman stories that get ranked.

And half of the good Superman stories, also starred Batman ("What do you get for the man who has everything?")

Its not Action comics, its Superman... he's very tough to write apparently. Or maybe more accurately. You can write a very good Superman story, but its near-impossible to write a great one.

I've never really read any Silver Age FF. I really feel like I need too at some point down the line. Maybe I should invest in the Masterworks hm

And I think there are some Silver Age Spideys that might rival that run. I'm apt to feel the Romita run is stronger, but I know others feel the Ditko issues are better. I might say from around 27-40 is one of the best runs of Spidey. I felt like the first 10 spent a ton of time world building and the book truly hit its stride in the 20s. Then the Goblin became a major player. It might even start earlier, but I've never actually read anything from 14-19 as I'm a purest and waiting until I have those issues in hand.

We could probably find some Action Comics, or the first 7 Spider-man issues etc.

But yeah the 45-53 is a great run, and only getting better.

Just thinking in overall historical significance it would be hard to beat:

First appearance of Superman

First appearance of Jimmy Olsen

First appearance of Lex Luthor

But depends if we talk significance like first appearance of Black Panther etc or we talk story-lines only regardless of significance.

Just thinking in overall historical significance it would be hard to beat:

First appearance of Superman

First appearance of Jimmy Olsen

First appearance of Lex Luthor

But depends if we talk significance like first appearance of Black Panther etc or we talk story-lines only regardless of significance.

1st appearances are one thing, but were there any "big ideas" like Kirby & Lee put forth during their Fantastic Four run?

Lex Luthor followed the typical "evil scientist" trope from radio days and serials.

Jimmy Olsen hit many of the same "side kick" beats even though he was more of a Clark Kent tag along than a Superman tag along.

It's interesting to note that those beginning and ending issues coincide with:

Ditko asking for plot credit on ASM (which he'd get 4 issues later with ASM #26)

and

Ditko leaving Marvel and trying to get Jack to leave as well.

It's almost as if Kirby threw everything he had into that run to try and show Marvel just how good he could be. Once Ditko left, we got those last remaining classic issues from Jack, and then he kind of just, I don't want to say coasted, because the rest of his run is still really exceptional, but it wasn't at as high a level as that 36-60.

Stan saw Kirby as a talented work horse. Goodman didn't even see Kirby.

It's a shame to think of what more we could've seen...

Batman Hush (608-619) is up there as a story arc. Brilliant story, Catwoman sexual tension, full pantheon of Villains, touches on all aspects of Batman mythos, timeless. Loeb/Lee pairing still unmatched.

Can't leave out Miller's DD run with Elektra, though I don't find myself craving re-reads as much lately.

+1

+2