• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the pain of submitting a book you are convinced will grade high

55 posts in this topic

WTOTF8tag_zpsf8ef4cb1.jpg

WTOTF8_zpsa04e7189.jpg

Back cover

Weirdtalesofthefuture8back_zps9bb5a17f.jpg

Unless there's a hidden flaw not evident in scans, I can't see that being lower than 4.0. If it were mine I bust it out of that insulting plastic coffin , slip it mylar, and call it a VG.

On the other hand, this stringency can work to advantage. Structurally this is an 8.5, hammered down to 5.5 because of a small, light stain on the back cover. I bought it thus.

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

Killer copy!

I also feel motivated to ask, why is it that technical grade is what we most value? Clearly we do, myself included. Yet I can think of extremely high grade books with distracting miscuts, bleed through, et al. And at the same time, I can think of beautiful, pleasurable books with slight faults that don't make the cut. Which would you prefer?

It's the question of the CGC era. If you buy a book that you never intend to deslab that has high-grade front and back covers… but also has a torn page or a clipped coupon or even ( :o ) a missing centerfold, should you care? I suppose the answer is you probably do care, partly because that big number on the front does matter (even if you never intend to sell), as does the fine print listing the defect.

A large enough discount, of course, can cover a multitude of sins. :D

You really can get high grade AND eye appeal if you look hard enough. Granted, PCH books are tough regardless and the CGC isn't as important as actually owning a copy.

WTOTF8tag_zpsf8ef4cb1.jpg

WTOTF8_zpsa04e7189.jpg

Back cover

Weirdtalesofthefuture8back_zps9bb5a17f.jpg

Unless there's a hidden flaw not evident in scans, I can't see that being lower than 4.0. If it were mine I bust it out of that insulting plastic coffin , slip it mylar, and call it a VG.

The water stain and fading on the bottom of the front cover is pretty severe and CGC hates nothing worse than stains.

The water stain and fading on the bottom of the front cover is pretty severe and CGC hates nothing worse than stains.

If I have learned nothing else in the past year or two it is this. Second only to - page quality really, really matters.

In any other field of endeavor it would be considered good practice to consult widely to achieve consensus. Does CGC do that? Or are they self appointed arbiters? Surely this argument has been made a multitude of times?

Added to which overall CGC grading standards fluctuate over periods of time. So who judges the judges?

I'd like to see back cover scans on all of these, too.

I dont have a back scan of the Tormented but it is unblemished and near white. No interior stains. Here is the MFPX

ManFromPlanetXbc_zps3ba41b22.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like the woman on the back cover is about to hit that guy in the head with a crowbar?

I'd like to see back cover scans on all of these, too.

I dont have a back scan of the Tormented but it is unblemished and near white. No interior stains. Here is the MFPX

ManFromPlanetXbc_zps3ba41b22.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like the woman on the back cover is about to hit that guy in the head with a crowbar?

She's just jealous

If I have learned nothing else in the past year or two it is this. Second only to - page quality really, really matters.

Ah, I didn't catch that tide line at first look. I think this book usually shows a bit of color fade on the desk though as it gets towards the bottom edge. Still, great eye-appeal for a 3.0

>> why is it that technical grade is what we most value?

That's not true for everyone though.

I'm a fan of a lot of the Fiction House books, and those often have faded covers.

A problem in their print runs, I think.

Within the last year, I sold off a 9.2 copy of a book with drab colors and kept

a 7.5 with vivid colors.

>> Isn't it better to buy books that have high technical grade AND

>> have great eye appeal?

When possible, sure. That's part of the fun of the hunt!

gozer

You always want more eye-of-newt. If it were up to you, the brew

would be nothing but newt-eyes.