• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the pain of submitting a book you are convinced will grade high

55 posts in this topic

I also feel motivated to ask, why is it that technical grade is what we most value? Clearly we do, myself included. Yet I can think of extremely high grade books with distracting miscuts, bleed through, et al. And at the same time, I can think of beautiful, pleasurable books with slight faults that don't make the cut. Which would you prefer?

Johnny 545 gave me this idea. Post books you consigned to CGC which came back significantly lower in grade than you expected!

Here are a couple to illustrate the point:

Fully expected this radiant, glossy copy to come back as an 8.5, which would have been highest graded

Tormented1CGC65_zps0cc989a7.jpg

I'd like to see back cover scans on all of these, too.

Wow! That is a gorgeous copy! Any idea why it was dinged so hard?

I really am baffled tormented

Fixed that for you

I also feel motivated to ask, why is it that technical grade is what we most value? Clearly we do, myself included. Yet I can think of extremely high grade books with distracting miscuts, bleed through, et al. And at the same time, I can think of beautiful, pleasurable books with slight faults that don't make the cut. Which would you prefer?

I've owned many a 7.5 I preferred over a 9.0

internal defects (or back cover) leave you with a great higher grade presenting mid-grade book for a midgrade price? ^^

It's the question of the CGC era. If you buy a book that you never intend to deslab that has high-grade front and back covers… but also has a torn page or a clipped coupon or even ( :o ) a missing centerfold, should you care? I suppose the answer is you probably do care, partly because that big number on the front does matter (even if you never intend to sell), as does the fine print listing the defect.

A large enough discount, of course, can cover a multitude of sins. :D