• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 9.4 does not equal an 8.5

10 posts in this topic

Or Something Upsetting

I am fully aware a book won't necessarily be the same grade after cracking it open. I had a 9.8 drop to a 9.4 which makes me wonder, should it have even been a 9.8 to begin with? I cracked the universal label to get a signature added. I was decimated when it returned.

At the time, I was still learning everything I know today. Although intellectually I knew it could happen, rationally I couldn't believe such a drop could exist. At least it came back to me during a time I wanted to learn about pressing. I turned it over to Matt Nelson and had him press it before sending it to CGC. The desired results made it's way back home, a 9.8 universal finally became a 9.8 SS. Was a catastrophe averted?

Years later, my New Mutants 9.8 annual #1 had me tremble while cracking it. I vowed if I could ever have it triple signed I would, but as I prepared for the NYCC for this to happen, I couldn't find any of my raw copies to pre-prep a bag. The obvious choice was to crack my universal 9.4, the same book I bought from ComiCards, my first LCS.

Three invoices this week recently changed to shipped/safe and me being me, I checked my grades. As patient as I am, I am not privy to wait until my packages arrive. I expected a change in grade, whether it was up or down didn't matter, just that I expected it. What shocked me is that it didn't move a little, it moved a lot. I would be just as shocked as if it jumped to a 9.9, which has me equally appalled as its fall to an 8.5.

So now I'm curious as to what the notes say. How does the 9.4 differ with the 8.5. What did they find? Or what did they miss? And how bad will my 9.8 fall, especially since I was so worried to crack it the first time.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14713.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

We're in the same boat with our 9.8 NM Annual #1s. I'm extremely nervous as well about my copy falling in grade. I don't think it should have been graded a 9.8 in the first place, but just like you, I just couldn't pass up on the opportunity to get all three main creators signed on it at the same time.

I will never be able to thank you enough for getting it done for me, regardless of whether it retains or not.

As far as this 9.4 copy dropping down to 8.5, we have already discussed it, but I'll comment on it here on the journal for others to read.

For it to have dropped so drastically from its original grade is very disconcerting, troubling, disappointing, you name the negative adjective and it probably applies.

I share your suspicions about it. It seems a little dubious. There would have to have been some serious mishandling done to it somewhere along the line of the signing and/or grading process for it to fall that far.

I guess it's possible for it to have never been truly worthy of the 9.4 in the first place, but I don't think that's it.

If it had fallen one grade, I could've understood. But if you were to send it back for pressing and regrading, and it goes all the way back up to 9.4, that's an awfully large swing in grade to see-saw like that.

In that case, it would seem suspicious to me. However if it were to come back 9.0 or 9.2 with a pressing, then I would have to attribute it to either the possible mishandling or the bad original grading.

Either way, I know you are disappointed in the outcome of the issue and I pray that it can be at least mostly rectified with a resubmission.

Sorry to hear Tnerb. It's a risky (and dude, so expensive!) game cracking, signing, pressing, and slabbing. It's definitely a gamble...sometimes you win (see ASM #129) and sometimes you lose (see NM Annual 1). Hope you and bagofleas both have better luck with your previously 9.8 copies.

sig.jpg

YEAH...you can't imagine how many 9.8 BRONZE/COPPER books I submitted to CGC, that came out graded in 8.5/9.0 for some unknown microscopic defects!!!

Let's try to laugh about it...when you deal with X-Men related books...you have to know that your books can mutate :)

FEDERICO

When you think about it your books go through quite a bit if you have them signed.

You have the extra handling taking it out of the slab if it was slabbed prior to signing.

If you don't triple or quadruple board it the the book can flex in the bag and board as it waits for its signature.

Some artists are not familiar with how to properly handle a book.

Some facilitators don't know how to handle a book. The majority do.

If CGC is shipping it back for you it sits in one of their boxes and is transported back and forth each day until they are ready to be shipped.

Then it is at the mercy of the shipping company.

A lot can happen during any one of these steps. Considering the volume CGC handles on cracked out/signed books I am surprised a greater percentage of books don't fall in grade during the process

I think this may be a big week for the journals, as several of us appear to have books from Baltimore due back in-hand within a few days. My 5 Sig Series books were transferred to "shipped" status yesterday afternoon. :whee:

I also watched an unboxing video from my friend who submitted his Collector's Society Coupon books in October. All Silver and Bronze, they came back in less than 30 calendar days, which is great, but the grading was a little disappointing. All were a bit (0.5-1.0) lower than I expected, but two came back much better than he expected. A third, though, blew us both away with the grade it got. We were expecting high VF, 8.5-9.0 range and they gave it a 7.0, OW/W. We were so suprised he immediately bought the grader's notes to see what we missed. The only flaw listed: "Right Center Front Cover Small Multiple Bend." Small bends dropped it to a 7? To those of you who have bought grader's notes in the past, does this sound like the amount of information to drop it so much? No flaws noted on the spine, corners, etc. ???

I would definitely say that it's a good candidate for pressing, but I am hesitant to recommend the extra expense on a book that we were sure would be an 8 or better. Some days I feel like the slabbing game is a real dice throw.

I experienced something similar. 2 of my books I sent to SDCC raw, were in flawless condition. 1 came back 9.2 and the other 9.0. After receiving the slabs I saw that both books had severe bending on the bottom right corner. Seems that they were mishandled at some point. I would imagine this is what happened to yours. If not, its crazy that your book took such a huge dive. Did the standards or graders opinions change that much between when you had this done the first time? Or did someone have a lax day and just overgrade this book from the beginning? I hope you find some answers in the notes.

That's a bummer!

I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Perhaps getting the grader notes (which, in my opinion, should always be there to follow the book no matter how many times it gets graded and should be inclusive with our grading fees/free-of-charge), might reveal what happened.

Good luck... I hope nothing else becomes this disappointing for your.

SW3D

That sound like poo to me, T.

I've posted previously on how I think my #1's get hammered on grading when compared to my later issues. I know that's not true, but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

See you soon my friend.

Lee K