• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I remove the tape from this GA book or return it?

8 posts in this topic

I just purchased and received a 1950’s golden age comic book that was listed by the seller as “VG-FN”. This was a private, non-ebay deal with a semi-major dealer and the tape was not mentioned. It guides at about $175 in this condition and I paid $145. While the grade appears to be accurate (I’d put it at VG or VG+ myself), there is a ½” tear on the right side of the cover and someone has put a ½” piece of tape on the inside of the cover to “fix” it. I plan to keep this book in my collection for many years, and would only slab it down the road when I eventually sell it. The question is: Should leave the tape on there, try to take it off, or just send the book back for a refund (I have that option). The book is fairly scarce, and it would be difficult to find another anytime soon. Does the fact that it has been taped knock the grade down below VG? If I was to get it slabbed, would CGC consider the tape as restoration or would they perhaps consider the REMOVAL of the tape as restoration? The tape looks relatively new, and I could probably get it off myself, but you would probably be able to tell that it had been taped at one point. Thanks for the advice.

I just purchased and received a 1950’s golden age comic book that was listed by the seller as “VG-FN”. This was a private, non-ebay deal with a semi-major dealer and the tape was not mentioned. It guides at about $175 in this condition and I paid $145. While the grade appears to be accurate (I’d put it at VG or VG+ myself), there is a ½” tear on the right side of the cover and someone has put a ½” piece of tape on the inside of the cover to “fix” it. I plan to keep this book in my collection for many years, and would only slab it down the road when I eventually sell it. The question is: Should leave the tape on there, try to take it off, or just send the book back for a refund (I have that option). The book is fairly scarce, and it would be difficult to find another anytime soon. Does the fact that it has been taped knock the grade down below VG? If I was to get it slabbed, would CGC consider the tape as restoration or would they perhaps consider the REMOVAL of the tape as restoration? The tape looks relatively new, and I could probably get it off myself, but you would probably be able to tell that it had been taped at one point. Thanks for the advice.

Whether it makes financial sense to keep it is entirely up to you. If you keep it, you should have a professional remove the tape. Don't try to do it yourself or it'll take part of the book with it. Don't leave the tape on the book, because it will eat through the paper eventually.

CGC does not give the purple label to books with tape removal, but they typically note the tape removal on the blue label if they can see the tape stains.

Does the fact that it has been taped knock the grade down below VG?

Subject to correction by FFB 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif, unobstrusive tape is allowed on VG grades. Without seeing it, interior front cover tape would seem to qualify as unobstrusive.

If I was to get it slabbed, would CGC consider the tape as restoration or would they perhaps consider the REMOVAL of the tape as restoration?

Tape (always applied by amateurs) is not considered restoration, as it is not an attempt to return the book to it's natural state. It is generally considered repair. 893whatthe.gif

Removal of the tape, however, if evident by staining, may be considered restoration if detected. See FFB' reply for how and why of removal. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Tape removal is an easy process but not one recommended to someone with no experience. If the area is badly stained it is more trying and certainly comes under the realm of a professional. When you say tape, are you talking about regular Scotch type tape? Thing is, if you send it to a restorer it is probably going to cost more than the difference between what you paid and what you estimate in the guide. On the other hand, you have the book in hand and know what it is like already. Just some factors to keep in mind.

I would just leave the book as is. It will cost too much compared to the value of the book to have the tape removed. I do feel giving the book a VG/F grade was improper of the dealer (tape=VG). It's a VG. Enjoy the book and, if you come across another copy you like better, buy it and flip this one on Ebay as a very nice VG. Just MHO, and Welcome to the Boards! hi.gif

Thanks for the replies. It's scotch tape. I'm leaning towards returning the book, because I agree that the tape sould be removed and I suspect that having it removed professsionally would be relatively expensive for a book of this value. But I'd be interersted in hearing opinions on how much a restorer would charge to remove a 1/2" piece of tape. Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. It's scotch tape. I'm leaning towards returning the book, because I agree that the tape sould be removed and I suspect that having it removed professsionally would be relatively expensive for a book of this value. But I'd be interersted in hearing opinions on how much a restorer would charge to remove a 1/2" piece of tape. Thanks again.

Email Matt Nelson at spectre52@aol.com and ask him. Make sure you tell him what the book is worth and also tell him that you'd like to keep the removal as cheap as possible.