• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Daredevil

75 posts in this topic

Actually, the run all the way through from 191 up to Born Again shouldn't be dismissed either. All very enjoyable books (that I picked up off the newsstand...boy, am I old).

You are not alone! :)

Speaking of books acquired off the newsstands...

I purchased all of these DD books from the spinner rack of a local store myself before I opened a comic file ( DD 184 was file obtained ).

At that time in the bullpen section there was a bulletin stating kids could mail their comics in to have their favorite artists sign books. I took a gamble, and sent my copy of 168 and 181 in hoping to get Frank Miller's signature. It took an extremely long time to get the books back, and I actually assumed them to be long gone and never to return. It was nearly a year later and I received a package from Mr. Frank Miller that contained both my books signed, a copy of his new series Ronin signed, and a letter that said:

"I am so sorry to have taken so long to get you your books back. You would not believe how many books I received to be signed and I had to take months off work to get them done. Please please don't send me anymore books. I have included a free copy of Ronin for you to enjoy in an effort to make good. Thank you for being a fan. Frank Miller"

All of that is long since gone, I wish I had kept the letter.

Does he really believe he can get away saying "Peace & love" 20 times and then tell people to screw off with their fan mail? Definitely not fab anymore.

I tried to read it a couple of times and found it terribly difficult reading.

I'm not sure why but I really couldnt get through the issues he drew.

I did like Born Again though :)

+1 All his ninja stuff is okay. Born Again is one of my favorite runs, if not my favorite.

Having little to no background in DD, is issue 158, the first one in the omnibus, a good jumping on point or will it be hard to get into because it's the middle of the series?

158 is a great jumping off point. Nothing of consequence occurring before that issue is really discussed after it. 158 - 191 (minus #162 which was a fill in issue and I'm sure not even included in the Omnibus) is pretty much one long, contained saga. You'll enjoy it! (thumbs u

hm I thought 232-233 were a bit generic in how they ended it, I think even Mazz has kind of expressed this... but I thought 231 was where it peaked. Mazz's work in particular is astounding in that issue. And issue #230...The Ben Urich scene, his reaction on the phone, that nurse... geez, I can still picture those panels in my head....

dd230p14.jpg

Just great stuff...

Hahah I live in a tiny condo in NYC so don't have room for non collectables (granted I know the omnibus are collected) Do a one month trial and start reading the run. If you like it, pick up the omnibus, if not then you are out $10 bucks plus you can read other books in the mean time :)

Giving the Marvel Unlimited a try for a month. I had to jump threw hoops to get the app/reader on my tablet, my wife's Kindle Fire. They don't have the Marvel app in the amazon app store so that was annoying. But got it installed and signed up, I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

I am aware that this may come off as condescending, but if a comic fan - let alone reader - does not appreciate the Miller run on Daredevil then it is difficult to understand what would appeal.

My 12c

I liked it, but I don't really appreciate Miller as an artist. He coneys noir mood well, but I really credit Klaus Janson the inker on that run. If the art isn't up to par, it directly affects my appreciation of a comic book story. What would appeal to me more? A better artist.

DG

I am aware that this may come off as condescending, but if a comic fan - let alone reader - does not appreciate the Miller run on Daredevil then it is difficult to understand what would appeal.

My 12c

I liked it, but I don't really appreciate Miller as an artist. He coneys noir mood well, but I really credit Klaus Janson the inker on that run. If the art isn't up to par, it directly affects my appreciation of a comic book story. What would appeal to me more? A better artist.

DG

Frank Miller’s artwork may not be the most detailed or realistic, but what makes up for it is the way it is laid out. Miller’s Daredevil is great visual story-telling. He knows how to tell a story with the way the panels flow, like a good movie with the various angles and views. For me, his artwork was an acquired taste. I didn't take to it right away. However, I always appreciated his story-telling abilities.

My 12c

DG

Millers artwork was great for that run.It fit the writing.Some of his other work,not so much.

My 12c

DG

Frank Miller’s artwork may not be the most detailed or realistic, but what makes up for it is the way it is laid out. Miller’s Daredevil is great visual story-telling. He knows how to tell a story with the way the panels flow, like a good movie with the various angles and views. For me, his artwork was an acquired taste. I didn't take to it right away. However, I always appreciated his story-telling abilities.

I can't really say I had to acquire a taste for his art. If anything, I acquired a distaste for his art. My guess is that Jim Shooter was editor at the time because I've seen a tendency over the years for Jim to team weak artists with highly capable/proficient inkers. Miller's earlier published artwork had more of a house style to it. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that Klaus Janson was not working from detailed pencils for much of the run. I do give Miller credit for some interesting layouts. It was definitely more moody.

By the time #184 came out I was buying 6 copies of the title. I did like the story and I did think it was very interesting art because of the layouts. I cannot say it's a "must read". I'm somewhat tired of writers killing off characters after they make them interesting.

I did always find it interesting that Tony Stark was supposed to be the playboy, but I never saw him with many women. Daredevil seemed to have the women.

DG

My 12c

DG

I think people forget how popular an artist he was at the time. His art graced many a cover during that period.

I'd pick it up. The entire run is a pretty solid read. My favorite part was seeing how Miller progressed too. The run just grew and grew and his writing got more noir as he went. It is well worth the read just for the impact it had on the entire market and Miller's career as a whole.

My 12c

DG

I think people forget how popular an artist he was at the time. His art graced many a cover during that period.

No doubt. Him and JB were the top dogs at the time.

My 12c

DG

No doubt. Him and JB were the top dogs at the time.

Between those guys, Perez, Simonson, Paul Smith..etc It was like a new golden age :cloud9: