• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Daredevil

75 posts in this topic

I can't really say I had to acquire a taste for his art. If anything, I acquired a distaste for his art. My guess is that Jim Shooter was editor at the time because I've seen a tendency over the years for Jim to team weak artists with highly capable/proficient inkers. Miller's earlier published artwork had more of a house style to it. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that Klaus Janson was not working from detailed pencils for much of the run. I do give Miller credit for some interesting layouts. It was definitely more moody.

DG

I've also read that Miller's pencils loosened up as the run went on. Miller's figures and faces were a bit rough in the pencils, so a lot of the final look was Janson. However, when you see Janson's pencil/ink work on other assignments, you don't see the same cinematic storytelling. I also think the DD run was in a particularly good time for both of them, as I don't see anything nearly as good by the time they worked together on Dark Knight Returns.

During the same time as their Daredevil run, Janson was the regular inker on Battlestar Galactica. Despite several artist changes, he kept a consistent visual look, but again, nothing quite as notable as his work over Miller's layouts/pencils.

My favorite issue in the whole run is Issue 185, "Guts," because of the creative way the story and visuals are integrated through the middle of the story.

Janson was a great match for Gil Kane's art, and so I was happy with the final result when he continued inking the pencil art on Daredevil by a new creator who drew Kane-influenced figure work. That's why I continued buying the book when Miller started.

I remember flipping through 158 and putting it back on the rack because the art seemed lazy to me. It wasn't till around issue 178 when a kid next to me was reading Daredevil in class and told me it was the best Marvel book being made that I decided to pick up a few issues. I then realized that the art complimented the story well. It set the mood for the book. Miller is not a detailed artist like Byrne. But that is not who he wanted to be. He used his art to tell the story and that was enough for him.

I read issue 158 on Marvel Unlimited, and I hope it gets better.

I don't care so much about the art, that really doesn't matter too much to me, but the writting/story didn't really impress.

I guess I could say I had the same impression when I read the early books in the Claremont X-men run, and those ended up taking off. I hope this does as well.

I can't really say I had to acquire a taste for his art. If anything, I acquired a distaste for his art. My guess is that Jim Shooter was editor at the time because I've seen a tendency over the years for Jim to team weak artists with highly capable/proficient inkers. Miller's earlier published artwork had more of a house style to it. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that Klaus Janson was not working from detailed pencils for much of the run. I do give Miller credit for some interesting layouts. It was definitely more moody.

DG

I've also read that Miller's pencils loosened up as the run went on. Miller's figures and faces were a bit rough in the pencils, so a lot of the final look was Janson. However, when you see Janson's pencil/ink work on other assignments, you don't see the same cinematic storytelling. I also think the DD run was in a particularly good time for both of them, as I don't see anything nearly as good by the time they worked together on Dark Knight Returns.

During the same time as their Daredevil run, Janson was the regular inker on Battlestar Galactica. Despite several artist changes, he kept a consistent visual look, but again, nothing quite as notable as his work over Miller's layouts/pencils.

My favorite issue in the whole run is Issue 185, "Guts," because of the creative way the story and visuals are integrated through the middle of the story.

That's pretty much how I remember it also. I normally hated all the guest covers he did on other comics. In all honesty, his writing seems a little misogynistic. It wasn't horribly evident with the Daredevil run, but if you look at his greater body of work it seems more obvious. Overall, I'm not a fan of his work.

DG

I don't care so much about the art, that really doesn't matter too much to me, but the writting/story didn't really impress.

I guess I could say I had the same impression when I read the early books in the Claremont X-men run, and those ended up taking off. I hope this does as well.

DD #158 is the tail end of a story that danced between several titles like Ghost Rider & Dr. Strange. It really has nothing to do with the comics that follow. It was Miller's jumping on point and nothing more. The layouts really start to jump out with interesting use of light and shadow. Some real good use of depth and perspective emerge. The art enhances the story he tells despite the weaknesses.

DG

DD #158 is the tail end of a story that danced between several titles like Ghost Rider & Dr. Strange. It really has nothing to do with the comics that follow. It was Miller's jumping on point and nothing more. The layouts really start to jump out with interesting use of light and shadow. Some real good use of depth and perspective emerge. The art enhances the story he tells despite the weaknesses.

DG

As good as Miller’s art was in #158-#167, Daredevil really took off with Miller taking over the writing with #168. Pictures and words come together for superb storytelling. For my money, it doesn’t get any better than #168-#181. This is what good sequential art should be like. You are missing something special if you’ve never read the run.

I am the artist. I can tell the difference between Janson and Miller. Miller is good at drawing but not inking so Janson did the ink job mostly. When Miller did not do that project, Janson did it. It amazed me that his drawing and ink looked identical. I think Janson is a true artist but Frank Miller is a great story teller.

I think Janson and Miller were a great teamwork. DD run and Dark Knight were the most amazing pieces of works. You already noticed many Janson/Miller art boards were sold over $300K!

Another +1 for this run.

Any time I find Frank Miller Daredevil: Vol 2 in a cheap trade box, I buy it. The first person to come to my house never having read it, leaves with it.

That's awesome! :applause:

To the OP Techvodoo, did you continue to read this run? I read it for the 1st time about 8-9 years ago in TPB's. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree with many in this thread that it becomes much better starting with issue #168, Miller starts writing. I also am a big fan of born again, which I have read numerous times.

Okay, back to Swamp Thing for me!

Miller's Daredevil is one of my favorite reads and picking up the omnibus is the best way to get it all in one nice package.

I'm curious as to what others thought of Bendis/Maleev run compared to Miller's, better? Worse? Equal?

I've never read any of Bendis' Daredevil and I'm currently waiting for them to reprint the omnibuses.

Miller's Daredevil is one of my favorite reads and picking up the omnibus is the best way to get it all in one nice package.

I'm curious as to what others thought of Bendis/Maleev run compared to Miller's, better? Worse? Equal?

I've never read any of Bendis' Daredevil and I'm currently waiting for them to reprint the omnibuses.

I enjoyed the Bendis run a lot! I personally like Bendis.....

I enjoyed the Bendis run a lot! I personally like Bendis.....

The Bendis/Maleev run was fantastic. Right up there with Miller's run. Call them 1 and 1A. Brubaker/Lark was excellent as well.