• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

:cool::devil:

This thread has reached such epic heights in incredulity, insanity, hilarity, and irony, that I am tempted to print it out on vellum, and have it bound in calfskin to pass on to the grandkids.

BTW, my vote for Godfather of comics history? Jerry Bails, by a longshot.

Bob was a very good friend to Jerry, and sold his comic book art collection and his "All Star" comic book collection for his Widow. That is what prompted the Bob vs the CGC war, which was addressed in another thead. Jerry is considered by both me and Bob to be the founding father of comic book collecting/fandom as well as a lot of other board members…a great choice. I agree 100%

We have had our fun on the B- Bop thread …….

But it is time to understand who we are dealing with….here a few famous firsts that B.B. has been a part of

1- the first comic book store owner along with Bob and John to have multiple comic books stores in different cites( 4 at the high point).

2-The purchase of the second greatest comic book collection ever sold at 4,500 books from 3 of Tom R's relatives ( total amount of books was 4,650 including Nick marcus #150n timely book purchase which was later stolen from them).

3-First a collector, then a RBCC seller, then a store owner of 10 stores total- 3 in SF, 4 comic and comics etc).

4- Along with Bill Blackbeard, of the SF comic art academy who was a friend of mine also, the two most knowledgeable people on the planet about early comic book history. Note a lot of Bill Blackbeard's comic strip collection is the basis the large comic strip reprint books in the last 20 years. It was B-Bop who let fandom know about Bill Blackbeards death. I was luckily to have Bill attend my first comic book convention in Stockton…to help put it on the map, as well as do a number of trades with him over the years. It was like yesterday when I traded him "Terror Tales pulp# 1 and 3 for a stack of Nemo pages for my comic book store.

If you are gonna read anything about comic book history this year link this NOW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Blackbeard

and here…

http://fischeroncomix.wordpress.com/2012/04/

Folks the the two BB's are part of the founding fathers of our comic book history.

we must pause, and bow, to men whose status, that NO BOARD member will ever …. achieve…… The Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Testla, Ridley Scott. and Gator of their time…….20th century comic book legends: the 2 BB's

:blahblah:

Bl-Ha….I bet you did not even know the two BB's were in the same city for a large number of years and great friends.

By the way, I was a Bay Area kid and Bill Blackbeard was an amazing gent to spend time with, and chat about comics in general. Another old-timer that was a hoot was Bob Sidebottom. As a kid he used to let me help stock the stacks at his ComiCollector Shop while he was either entertaining customers, or barking at them in dismissal. What a character!

I talked to Bob B for a hour tonight. As you are aware, I am prohibited from speaking "for bob" by the mods who have issued me a warning.

I have contacted Mark by PM and told him some very important information. I hope he sets the record straight with both M and the boards here before Sat.

I believe this transaction will be completed in the future, that is my opinion, not bob speaking.

However the fact remains that out of the say 50,000 transactions that Bob has done over the years, we are talking about say 10 transactions which are being questioned over say…..47 years….. this is a true comic book collector/dealer who in addition has spent countless years researching the history of the comic book , written thousands of pages on the history with no $ gain to do so. It is my opinion that once this transaction is completed that we restore Bob to his proper status…..as one of the true comic book historical Giants of our time and one of founding fathers of comic book fandom. Among dealers, the first dealer to set up a comic book store in Pier 39 in San Fran which brought international attention and interest to american comic books at a very early state in comic book collecting history...

Mitch, can you post a copy of that warning please? It sounds somewhat ..out of the ordinary.

Also, isn't Bob in his 50's? How do you get these numbers?

I talked to Bob B for a hour tonight. As you are aware, I am prohibited from speaking "for bob" by the mods who have issued me a warning.

I have contacted Mark by PM and told him some very important information. I hope he sets the record straight with both M and the boards here before Sat.

I believe this transaction will be completed in the future, that is my opinion, not bob speaking.

However the fact remains that out of the say 50,000 transactions that Bob has done over the years, we are talking about say 10 transactions which are being questioned over say…..47 years….. this is a true comic book collector/dealer who in addition has spent countless years researching the history of the comic book , written thousands of pages on the history with no $ gain to do so. It is my opinion that once this transaction is completed that we restore Bob to his proper status…..as one of the true comic book historical Giants of our time and one of founding fathers of comic book fandom. Among dealers, the first dealer to set up a comic book store in Pier 39 in San Fran which brought international attention and interest to american comic books at a very early state in comic book collecting history...

Mitch, can you post a copy of that warning please? It sounds somewhat ..out of the ordinary.

Bob started driving around to shows in his teens. I'm pretty sure he bilked someone out of some money not long after.

This thread has reached such epic heights in incredulity, insanity, hilarity, and irony, that I am tempted to print it out on vellum, and have it bound in calfskin to pass on to the grandkids.

Print it on archival quality paper hermetically sealed in mylar like the Declaration of Independence.

Print it on archival quality paper hermetically sealed in mylar like the Declaration of Independence.

Maybe if I repented of my ways I could get Bob to sign it for me as a CGC SS? But who would witness it for me? Is Baron Münchhausen available?

According to Bob's self-written Wikipedia page, full of his tales of derring-do, and establishment as the bedrock of Comicdom, he is 61.

i always suspected bedrock wasn't really bedrock but in acuality beerbong was bedrock and bedrock was a bedrock impostor and sometimes poster, but not an impostor when posting.

Would I violate board policy by publishing the warning from the mods? It says I violated forum rules by masking as bob and it linked to to the forum rules. I cache give my opinion I just cannot speak for bob. I pm mark and still not heard from him reguarding

matts pulps.

Would I violate board policy by publishing the warning from the mods? It says I violated forum rules by masking as bob and it linked to to the forum rules. I cache give my opinion I just cannot speak for bob. I pm mark and still not heard from him reguarding

matts pulps.

No, lol...that''s exactly what I wanted to see. By masking they meant you were cursing and "masking" it as another word. It has nothing to do with Bob.

matts pulps.

No, lol...that''s exactly what I wanted to see. By masking they meant you were cursing and "masking" it as another word. It has nothing to do with Bob.

EPIC!!!

According to Bob's self-written Wikipedia page, full of his tales of derring-do, and establishment as the bedrock of Comicdom, he is 61.

i always suspected bedrock wasn't really bedrock but in acuality beerbong was bedrock and bedrock was a bedrock impostor and sometimes poster, but not an impostor when posting.

So he's been selling since he was 14? Child labor!!

and only Bedrock is a giant in comics;)

I think Bob is about a foot shorter;)

Bob sidebottom was a real character .... He had his San Jose store very early on and then Carmel .... He told me a story about him Carmel store and. Clint Eastwood . Clint's son collected mad magazine. Clint and son come into his store and they want to buy a stack of back issues. Instead of Clint going in his pocket and taking out a stack of 100 dollar bills he and his son spend 10 mins agreeing on 20 different chores the kid must do to get the stack. They did and was veery impressed with Clint as a real dad,,,

Bob sidebottom has passed away quite some time ago....what was found at his house was .... Well quite the talk,,,,, many many years ago..,,,