• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone hear from Bob Beerbohm lately?

784 posts in this topic

Don't know where else to put this but I wanted to post that one of your members. Blbcomics, (Robert Beerbohm) is a thief.

I entered into an agreement with him to purchase 341 pulps (mostly argosy) for $3600.00 last April (2013). He was suppose to have them in the mail within one week. Now as of November (2013), he has still not mailed them nor does he intend to.

He recieved the money through paypal back in April. I've contacted him about twice a month by phone since then. Every two weeks it's another excuse. Usually that he forgot, or he has better things to think about because his daughter is sick with cancer (which is why I offered to buy the pulps in the first place). It's no excuse as I paid him almost 8 months ago now, and he still mails over 200 items a month through his ebay store alone.

He entered into the sale with me on bad faith and pocketed the entire amount of money ($3600.00). He has since sold some of the pulps on ebay. He now ignores my phone calls and has left his voice mailbox full so I can't even leave a message.

It's important to note that he used several of you as references in this transaction. I guess he knows many of you from comicon and the like. Sparklecitycomics and Dwight Fuhro are two of you that I remember offhand, but there are others from the ccg boards.

He stole from me and he is smearing your names through his actions.

Please do not do business with this man. He is a thief.

-Matthew King

The guy who posted this has ONE POST on this fourm, Bob has been in the business for 40 years...who is this guy????
\

Mitch, post count doesn't mean much. It's pretty clear that he came to this board because Bob used board members for reference.

I can say that I had a very similar experience with Bob after buying a book off him to help replace his hip. It was a year of delays, confusion (only on his part), problems finding the book, remembering who I was, remembering the transaction entirely, and ultimately I had to pick a different book. I know Bob is a nice guy and I believe he has good intentions but I'd never, ever, ever, ever buy a book from him again.

The guy who posted this has ONE POST on this fourm, Bob has been in the business for 40 years...who is this guy????
\

Mitch, post count doesn't mean much. It's pretty clear that he came to this board because Bob used board members for reference.

I can say that I had a very similar experience with Bob after buying a book off him to help replace his hip. It was a year of delays, confusion (only on his part), problems finding the book, remembering who I was, remembering the transaction entirely, and ultimately I had to pick a different book. I know Bob is a nice guy and I believe he has good intentions but I'd never, ever, ever, ever buy a book from him again.

Same for me. Bought a book through his eBay store to help him out with his daughter's medical bills. Book was definitely not as described and I returned it. Refund was delayed and delayed and delayed (and we are talking less than $100) and finally had to open a case against him to get him to refund the money.

(tsk)

There are certainly 2 sides to every story but the post doesn't strike me as a pack of lies... it seems on the surface at least to be pretty level headed

I contacted Paypal. They have a 90 day policy. Since he put me off for so long with his stories, I am unable to reverse the transaction. I paid using money in my paypal account too, so a cc reverse is also out of the picture. He lives in Nebraska. I live in Maine. The police are unable to do anything other then take a report. Especially since it wasn't so much theft as I sent him the money freely, as it was outright fraud as he never had any intention of sending me his end of the deal (Illegal but not worth their time to prove). That leaves only civil action and with the costs of lawyers nowadays, I could easily spend four times the amount before I won the case.

The worst part is that he uses his daughters health condition and his business acquaintances as references in pursuit of fraud. Through google searches I can see that he's done this with much smaller amounts to other people before. The guy has even written his own wikipedia entry to help promote himself. The guys otherwise a legitimate businessman. He just like to commit fraud every once in a while to make some extra money. Lastly, I know he's recently disconnected his phone (I guess he doesn't like me calling him so much). I've got his new number but he does not answer that either. It's been 8 months, on a transaction that was supposed to take a week. He's not even making the attempt to hide the theft at this point. He's just ignoring me hoping I go away.

Mitch,

Search is your friend. Bob might have been the "go to" dealer 25 years ago but he has caused a s--t storm here and also on eBay.

Bob was co owner of comics and comics, and held a table at SDCC for something like 20 years straight before the "incident" which took place at SDCC.

I have never had a problem with bob, and bought and sold books from him since day 1.....I sold him BLB's at the SDCC con about 3 or 4 years ago.

It just is hard to believe this ' one poster" story....$3600 for 341 pulps??? just does not make sense and anybody can come on and used a assumed name and just trash somebody........I for one would like to see written proof of some transaction....

Mitch,

Search is your friend. Bob might have been the "go to" dealer 25 years ago but he has caused a s--t storm here and also on eBay.

Bob was co owner of comics and comics, and held a table at SDCC for something like 20 years straight before the "incident" which took place at SDCC.

I have never had a problem with bob, and bought and sold books from him since day 1.....I sold him BLB's at the SDCC con about 3 or 4 years ago.

It just is hard to believe this ' one poster" story....$3600 for 341 pulps??? just does not make sense

It makes perfect sense if they're mostly Argosys. Run of the mill Argosys are incredibly low demand. You might have a few in there with ERB or REH, but mix that in with a bunch of Western covers and you have a pretty tough sell.

Mitch,

It just is hard to believe this ' one poster" story....$3600 for 341 pulps??? just does not make sense

He said they were Argosy pulps, so that makes perfect sense. :makepoint: