• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

New edition to the collection:

TITLE: GREEN LANTERN #10 (1st Vandal Savage)

GRADE: FR/GD... Sold to me as G/VG

Green_Lantern10.jpg

Picked this one up this week. I was bidding on the CC auction copy, but it went sky high. So I was happy/skeptical to see this copy up on BestInComics for a very reasonable price.

I've been reticent to give these guys a shot. I've read some questionable things. But I went in fully aware and can't say I wasn't warned. Book has a lot of tape on spine and back cover. I could see most of it from the pic, so I wasn't shocked or anything. But it was definitely overgraded. Slight oddity on initial resto check as well. Though it's complete at 28dsip, two of the interior pages have flap overhangs on them like this, making it appear as though a page has been sliced out:

WP_20140327_001.jpg

Anybody have a thought on this? Maybe this is a common production error that I've somehow just never seen over the years, but my first thought was that a couple of the wraps had been sliced out, then restapled back in along with the tape repairs.

I'm in no way accusing BIC of doing this, probably just amateur OO repair if it's the case. But still, should have been spotted and disclosed. But if my assumption is correct (and I certainly could be off base), that would make this copy at best "conserved" if not restored. Not exactly what I wanted.

But as I stated, the price was right and I was willing to take the gamble of breaking it out of their magic break the seal/no returns toploader.

That GL is very scarce. Such a cool book and tough, tough to find presentable copies. Vandal Savage isn't exactly Lex Luthor, but it's a cool GA first appearance, nonetheless.

I just dropped off a slabbed 2.0 with Metropolis Comics for consignment (handed it to them at C2E2, so will probably be up soon). Originally picked it up from skypinkblu/Sharon. I bought the ComicConnect copy you mentioned (and, yes, it went for much more than I'd hoped), so parting with my undercopy.

Nevertheless, very nice work.

Edited by BarristerBaker

Half wraps with a margin only showing on the other side are common in late war era books due to paper rationing. That one commonly got 2 half wraps instead of just one full wrap on 56 page books is related to the printing process which commonly involved off-set printing plates consisting of two rows of four pages each. Double this for each side of the paper and this is why comic interior pages were generally printed in multiples 16. It is also why books sometimes end up with Siamese pages.

New edition to the collection:

TITLE: GREEN LANTERN #10 (1st Vandal Savage)

GRADE: FR/GD... Sold to me as G/VG

Green_Lantern10.jpg

Picked this one up this week. I was bidding on the CC auction copy, but it went sky high. So I was happy/skeptical to see this copy up on BestInComics for a very reasonable price.

I've been reticent to give these guys a shot. I've read some questionable things. But I went in fully aware and can't say I wasn't warned. Book has a lot of tape on spine and back cover. I could see most of it from the pic, so I wasn't shocked or anything. But it was definitely overgraded. Slight oddity on initial resto check as well. Though it's complete at 28dsip, two of the interior pages have flap overhangs on them like this, making it appear as though a page has been sliced out:

WP_20140327_001.jpg

Anybody have a thought on this? Maybe this is a common production error that I've somehow just never seen over the years, but my first thought was that a couple of the wraps had been sliced out, then restapled back in along with the tape repairs.

I'm in no way accusing BIC of doing this, probably just amateur OO repair if it's the case. But still, should have been spotted and disclosed. But if my assumption is correct (and I certainly could be off base), that would make this copy at best "conserved" if not restored. Not exactly what I wanted.

But as I stated, the price was right and I was willing to take the gamble of breaking it out of their magic break the seal/no returns toploader.

That GL is very scarce. Such a cool book and tough, tough to find presentable copies. Vandal Savage isn't exactly Lex Luthor, but it's a cool GA first appearance, nonetheless.

I just dropped off a slabbed 2.0 with Metropolis Comics for consignment (handed it to them at C2E2, so will probably be up soon). Originally picked it up from skypinkblu/Sharon. I bought the ComicConnect copy you mentioned (and, yes, it went for much more than I'd hoped), so parting with my undercopy.

Nevertheless, very nice work.

I've always loved the cover. Just something about it. This is the second copy I've owned (used to have a real beater). Like you said, it's an underrated book.

Half wraps with a margin only showing on the other side are common in late war era books due to paper rationing. That one commonly got 2 half wraps instead of just one full wrap on 56 page books is related to the printing process which commonly involved off-set printing plates consisting of two rows of four pages each. Double this for each side of the paper and this is why comic interior pages were generally printed in multiples 16. It is also why books sometimes end up with Siamese pages.

Cool info! Much appreciated! (thumbs u

Cosmic Boy I just want to say how inspiring this thread has been. I was getting bored with collecting Silver and Bronze and was looking into the challenge of Golden collecting.

After reading your journey I bought a couple of GA books and haven't looked back. I have been selling unwanted SA and BA to fund it, and my collecting has greatly shifted. I now appreciate having 1 great GA book over 5-10 SA.

So a Wonder Woman #2 here, a Superman #4 there, and now I see the fun in chasing GA. So, thanks!

Cosmic Boy I just want to say how inspiring this thread has been. I was getting bored with collecting Silver and Bronze and was looking into the challenge of Golden collecting.

After reading your journey I bought a couple of GA books and haven't looked back. I have been selling unwanted SA and BA to fund it, and my collecting has greatly shifted. I now appreciate having 1 great GA book over 5-10 SA.

So a Wonder Woman #2 here, a Superman #4 there, and now I see the fun in chasing GA. So, thanks!

congrats

So here's my latest acquisition, and it's a pretty big deal to me. I've waited a long time for this one.

It's also the reason I've had to part with a few books recently that I would have rather kept. We make choices in this hobby. Some good. Some bad. Some we'll probably regret for a lifetime. But I've always told myself that I wouldn't pass on a copy of this book. That I'd find a way to make it happen.

Recently, and luckily, that opportunity was presented to me by one of our resident collecting gurus... and I couldn't be happier about it!

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Bill! (thumbs u It might not be Action #1, but it sure feels like it to me!

TITLE: ACTION COMICS #23 (1st Lex Luthor)

NOTES: Missing back cover.

action23_zpsb0fd5ff7.jpg

action23splash_zpsac9145af.jpg

So here's my latest acquisition, and it's a pretty big deal to me. I've waited a long time for this one.

It's also the reason I've had to part with a few books recently that I would have rather kept. We make choices in this hobby. Some good. Some bad. Some we'll probably regret for a lifetime. But I've always told myself that I wouldn't pass on a copy of this book. That I'd find a way to make it happen.

Recently, and luckily, that opportunity was presented to me by one of our resident collecting gurus... and I couldn't be happier about it!

So thank you, thank you, thank you, Bill! (thumbs u It might not be Action #1, but it sure feels like it to me!

snip (edit)

15133601466_d0c3c1250e_c.jpg

I like that purchase. Several years ago I passed on the purchase of that issue because I wasn't sure if it was the first Luthor. Oops...

action23_zpsb0fd5ff7.jpg

:applause: well consider me jealous my friend!!! great great pickup very happy for you I know you have been after that one for awhile!!!! it's a stunner for sure (thumbs u well done!!!! it's nice to see that patience and perseverance do pay off!!

That's a great book! My first GA book was a coverless Action 23, I got hooked and never looked back. Took me 12 years to buy one with a cover;)

I love your collection.

This index will help with page counts, don't forget they include the covers.

http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

action23_zpsb0fd5ff7.jpg

Congrats! With that front cover, that's the best looking copy you'll find for the grade as well. :applause:

action23_zpsb0fd5ff7.jpg

:applause:

Action Comics #23 is a great book and for as coveted as it is, I still think it's a bit underrated. Not only is it the 1st app. of Luthor, but the Action #1 color-scheme and cover-art are a fantastic representation of early Siegel and Shuster Superman.

Big time congrats!

Hey gang! :hi:

I haven't written in this thread in a while. Just thought I'd touch base and let you all know that I'm doing well and still having a ball collecting GA DC, although my focus has clearly taken another definitive and dramatic turn.

It'll probably come as no shock that I've decided to focus solely on GA Superman for the time being.

For some reason, I seem to feel better when I have a more specific direction and clarity as a collector, even when we're talking about a subset within an already narrowed focus. And I can truly say, without any hesitation at this moment in my life, that Golden Age Superman is what makes me happy as a collector.

As collectors, I feel like some part of our collecting spirit is always in transition. And though it has already come with all the usual costs and sacrifices, this transition to collecting only one character has felt very natural and necessary to me every step of the way.

That being said (and considering my low budget), I'm pretty darn happy with the little run I've put together in just over a year's time.

I've also made a couple recent transactions, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to post some bigger pics of my collection as it stands. Also, thank you all so much for the kind words and encouragement in this thread! I wish you all the best, and humbly hope you enjoy my poor man's slice of the Superman pie!

Action_Comics_19_Front.jpg

Action_20.jpg

Action_Comics_21_Front.jpg

Action_Comics_22_Front.jpg

Action_23.jpg

Superman_1.jpg

Superman_2_Front.jpg

Superman_3.jpg

Bravo - quite an accomplishment in a short time. You mentioned having a low budget for buying, yet those .5s have excellent 'eye appeal' for the grades, so kudos to you for searching out and acquiring those particular copies!

Bravo - quite an accomplishment in a short time. You mentioned having a low budget for buying, yet those .5s have excellent 'eye appeal' for the grades, so kudos to you for searching out and acquiring those particular copies!

Thanks!! My main criteria when looking are 1) no brittleness and 2) value (I'm really not in a position to overpay). The presentability is nice but has mostly been luck so far. Let's hope it continues. :wishluck:

FWIW, the Action #20 & #23 are both complete but missing back covers. The tradeoff is that the front covers are awesome!