• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

Interesting! Sheldon Moldoff doesn't have too many fans in comicdom these days. I think he's underrated but most comic enthusiasts compare him unfavourably to D ick Sprang.

(shrug)

Strange, I vastly prefer Moldoff to Hibbard, personally.

Pics of a couple of my pickups from the last week or so:

Thanks to skypinkblu for hooking me up with this one:

FLASH COMICS #4

flash_comics_4_0001.jpg

This one came from Metropolis. One of my favorite covers from the GA!

FLASH COMICS #8

fla1_874a.jpg

Also picked up a cool coverless incomplete copy of #2 from another boardie and just today I was able to grab a #5.

This Flash run is really starting to take off! :banana:

i vaguely remember this thread from my earliest days on the boards. i suppose in some way your original posts had some impact on my collecting focus since then.

glad to see this back and alive. kudos

Thanks! It's been quite the ride with the ups and downs, but I'm back up and running.

A couple of recent pickups:

Got this one from Richie Muchin. It's a little more brittle than I'd like but can't complain at the price I got it. Still a very tough book that doesn't come up all that often.

Flash_5.jpg

This one from the 'Bay was a steal. Logo stripped but looks pretty tight otherwise.

s_l1600.jpg

About a month into my early GA Flash run and I've put together a nice string of books: #2 (partial coverless), #4, #5, #8, #15.

Also picked up a nice lower grade All-American #20 this week. Pics to come.

--CB

Here's a pic of my latest acquisition. Picked this one up from Jim Payette. I used to own a logo stripped copy of this one, but here's copy #2. I've always loved this book. I have no idea on the general scarcity (Gerber scale anyone?), but I've found it to be an incredibly tough book to track down over the years. I've only ever seen two copies and I've bought both of them.

Ultimately, I think it's underrated. 1st Atom in costume and 1st Ma Hunkel as Red Tornado.

aa20.jpg

Picked up an Action #23 last night, so pics of that to come. :cloud9:

Here's a pic of the coverless Action #23 that I picked up from Leroy Harper. I'll take a scan when I mylar or slab it up. This is the 3rd copy I've owned. Sold the first two and really wish I hadn't sold the second one. But I'm glad to have a copy back in the fold. Would love to find a cover or partial cover, but not willing to pay the price Metro has on theirs.

s_l1600.jpg

This one from the 'Bay was a steal. Logo stripped but looks pretty tight otherwise.

s_l1600.jpg

About a month into my early GA Flash run and I've put together a nice string of books: #2 (partial coverless), #4, #5, #8, #15.

--CB

At first I thought this was one I used to own, but when I checked my scans I can see that it's not the same copy. I have always loved that Moldoff cover!

flashcomics15-f_zpsnlgk6pid.jpg

I've been waiting to post this one until I had it in hand. Today is the day. I paid a hefty price to snag it, but I'm over the moon for it. Might not be a grail book by guide value or content importance, but it's hands down one of my favorite covers of the GA. So it's a semi-grail for me. I used to own a logo stripped copy, and haven't seen many in the years since I sold it. Took me a long time to find one in my price range. They just don't come up often and not as presentable as this one.

Staples have been replaced but no other resto to my knowledge.

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

I've been waiting to post this one until I had it in hand. Today is the day. I paid a hefty price to snag it, but I'm over the moon for it. Might not be a grail book by guide value or content importance, but it's hands down one of my favorite covers of the GA. So it's a semi-grail for me. I used to own a logo stripped copy, and haven't seen many in the years since I sold it. Took me a long time to find one in my price range. They just don't come up often and not as presentable as this one.

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

Not that my opinion counts for much, however, I think that is a great looking book! Congrats.

That cover is awesome in its simplicity.

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

Not that my opinion counts for much, however, I think that is a great looking book! Congrats.

That cover is awesome in its simplicity.

Yep your opinion is good here!! GREAT BOOK Congrats on all the recent acquisitions!! :applause:

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

Kirby's best GA cover IMHO, and if you got a break on the replaced staples all the better, as thats something that bothers me not one bit.

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

Great book!