• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

Great start with a great book!

Your list of books is very well within reach.

I will give you a few pointers:

1. Don't worry about what others think about the books you buy, everyone has different tastes

2. Be Patient

3. As you have probably already seen, there are great books in restored and qualified holders, give them a chance

4. Buy what you love, don't worry about future value

5. Be patient

6. Most importantly....have fun!

:)

Thanks for the tips, AnkurJ! For the first time in my collecting career I really feel like I'm collecting solely for me. I'm not speculating on Silver & Bronze books any more. I'm just going to collect what makes me happy. It's the being patient part that is the hardest! But like I said, that's the chase.

Edited by Cosmic Boy

I would suggest: early World's Finest, Adventure with Fless Sandman covers, early Newsboy Legion Star Spangled, more Tecs, and some Actions. I'd shy away from keys at first, till you've laid your foundation.

I would love to add a Star Spangled #7! I've always thought Guardian was one of the more underrated characters of the GA, and I've always been intrigued by the Newsboy Legion & Suicide Slums as a reflection of Kirby's own adolescence.

It is a great book with great art :cloud9:

Here's the second "book" added to my collection. Picked this up this morning.

FLASH COMICS #1 (11th Page Only) (CGC NG Restored Trimmed)

About the only way I was ever going to get a piece of this one. But at least it's the Hawkman splash! Pumped to have picked up this little piece of history.

k1tc.jpg

x8ed.jpg

Good luck with the hunt, Cosmic Boy - it takes fortitude to start a DC Golden Age collection nowadays.

I hope you continue this thread over time as it's fun to watch another hobbyist build his collection from the ground floor.

Oh, good to see All American #25 in your Top Ten list - it's a great book (my copy would come back as a PLOD due a tear seal, but I love it just the same) that generally doesn't get a lot of love at the moment (IIRC, you moved the Larson copy to Pons?).

Good luck with the hunt, Cosmic Boy - it takes fortitude to start a DC Golden Age collection nowadays.

I hope you continue this thread over time as it's fun to watch another hobbyist build his collection from the ground floor.

Oh, good to see All American #25 in your Top Ten list - it's a great book (my copy would come back as a PLOD due a tear seal, but I love it just the same) that generally doesn't get a lot of love at the moment (IIRC, you moved the Larson copy to Pons?).

Yep. I once had the Larson AA #25. Probably a dumb move to have unloaded it, but things come and go. Hindsight is what it is. I enjoyed owning it for a while, and it has a very good home now.

I started in a similar fashion. I had a decent collection of silver and bronze. Sold most of it and started on a Golden adventure - with focus on Flash Comics. I'm now 81 into the run, and the chase is definitely a piece of the allure of that title for me. It's not just a money battle. You really have to find them first.

In fact, the single page you bought was mine until I put it up for auction on ComicLink a couple months ago (it since made its way to eBay). It was the closest thing to issue #1 I thought I'd have. Then...I actually bought a full, unrestored copy.

Best of luck to you.

Congrats on the new collecting focus & inspiration. Collecting Golden Age is fun! :grin:

I'm assuming you are only going after the Superhero DC Golden Age issues. I forget the exact number, but there are approximately 1400 DC Superhero issues from 1938-1950. Pacing yourself is a good idea.

Also, key issues & early issues go up faster than later issues, I'd focus on some of those first. I've always been a "quality over quantity" kind of collector.

I'd rather have Flash Comics #1 than Flash Comics #60-80 for the same price.

Here's the second "book" added to my collection. Picked this up this morning.

FLASH COMICS #1 (11th Page Only) (CGC NG Restored Trimmed)

About the only way I was ever going to get a piece of this one. But at least it's the Hawkman splash! Pumped to have picked up this little piece of history.

k1tc.jpg

x8ed.jpg

First appearance of Hawkman :applause:

It was mine for years, then his, now mine again :)

The first (and so far only) book in my Golden Age DC collection.

DETECTIVE COMICS #40 (1st Joker Cover) (CGC Qualified 2.0)

Great start! :applause:

Their innovation, colors, vibrancy... Golden Age DC comics are the backbone of this genre. And it's taken me a long time to realize I was denying myself that fact. But now, I truly believe that they are capable of reinvigorating my collecting spirit. So in short, that's what I'm going to chase.

I said much the same thing some 12 or so years ago. In that time, I've amassed a po'boy collection of early Actions, Supermans, Detectives and Batmans. They are awesomely cool books that I'm thrilled to own in any condition... and indeed, my screen name was chosen as a wink and a nod to that philosophy. I still get excited when a new one rolls in.

Looking forward to watching your collection grow!

I'm right there with you now! I'm all in. Even willing to sell my AF #15 if something really tasty comes up. Say, a More Fun #73 for example. Probably my ultimate grail book alongside Action #13 (which I'll never sniff).

Stay tuned tomorrow as I've got a neat little piece coming into the collection!

..... only one mistake I see in here.... the part about the Action 13. You WILL own a Action 13...... you just don't have it YET. Some advice Judy gave me.....(the most awesome girl on the planet :cloud9: ) ...... you can be frugal and buy lots of cheap stuff that you kind of want..... or save up for that really nice item. You'll probably end up trying to sell off most of the cheap stuff eventually. Just like the SA ...... get the grails first. ..... and remember, a grail doesn't have to be a key. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Have you decided on a focus? Or is it too early to decide.

Interesting question. Superman and Batman for sure. But I'd like to pick up all of the minor and major keys I can afford.

I know I'll never be able to sniff my biggest grails: Action #1, 7, 13 and 'Tec #27, 29, 31, 33. Well, at least not until I win the lottery.

My goal was to raise 10k in seed money and see where that took me. Looking for value and depth, but not picking anything up at random to start with. I want to start with the most important books I can get a hold of on my budget.

My Realistic Top 10:

1. More Fun #73

2. Action #23

3. More Fun #55

4. Adventure #61

5. All-American #61

6. Superman #3

7. Superman #4

8. Adventure #48

9. All-American #25

10. New York World's Fair 1939 (might be out of my budget)

A healthy smattering! (thumbs u

Great list! I like each and every one of them

+1 (but don't sell the AF15) :tonofbricks:

Their innovation, colors, vibrancy... Golden Age DC comics are the backbone of this genre. And it's taken me a long time to realize I was denying myself that fact. But now, I truly believe that they are capable of reinvigorating my collecting spirit. So in short, that's what I'm going to chase.

I said much the same thing some 12 or so years ago. In that time, I've amassed a po'boy collection of early Actions, Supermans, Detectives and Batmans. They are awesomely cool books that I'm thrilled to own in any condition... and indeed, my screen name was chosen as a wink and a nod to that philosophy. I still get excited when a new one rolls in.

I'm right there with you now! I'm all in. Even willing to sell my AF #15 if something really tasty comes up. Say, a More Fun #73 for example. Probably my ultimate grail book alongside Action #13 (which I'll never sniff).

..... only one mistake I see in here.... the part about the Action 13. You WILL own a Action 13...... you just don't have it YET. Some advice Judy gave me.....(the most awesome girl on the planet :cloud9: ) ...... you can be frugal and buy lots of cheap stuff that you kind of want..... or save up for that really nice item. You'll probably end up trying to sell off most of the cheap stuff eventually. Just like the SA ...... get the grails first. ..... and remember, a grail doesn't have to be a key. GOD BLESS...

That's sage advice!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, jimbo. But I've got a little girl's college fund to be thinking of too, so I don't really envision ever dropping 8-10k on a book.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, jimbo. But I've got a little girl's college fund to be thinking of too, so I don't really envision ever dropping 8-10k on a book.

..... she's going to get a full ride scholarship, bro ..... and that's when you're going to get the 13...... sorry to spoil the surprise. GOD BLESS...