• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagofleas asked... by Tnerb

10 posts in this topic

...and I answered.

Journal 550

I was nerve wracked when I had my 9.6 ASM 129 cracked. By any collectors standards having this book attain a 9.6 with three signatures is paramount to being a holy grail. I was asked if I had the chance to add a fourth, would I? I told him originally I would, and that was after thinking about it for a few seconds. Now, four invoices later, I'm not so sure.

The first two signatures on my ASM were via facilitators. The third was traveling cross country (And I must add a heartfelt Thank You to RonnyLama for which this never would have happened). The latest scrawl was added at ECCC. I was relieved when I found out that it retained its 9.6. The relief I felt equaled the disappointment after I found out my 9.4 dropped to an 8.5. Another invoice has begun to trouble me. One that I even feared to look at.

Out of fourteen books turned over to get signatures at Baltimore (for this invoice), a majority of them were for signatures on some of my New Mutants by one of my personal favorites, Sal Buscema. Three cracked 9.8 slabs dropped to a 9.6. So devastating was the news I immediately went to eBay to see if any of the issues were available for purchase.

None of the books from this invoice went through CCS, although one of them, issue 85, I meant to turn over along with 15,16, and 17 (this invoice also included The Incredible Hulk 271) but, I forgot. The first Liefeld New Mutants issue worried me the most. Fortunately, it was one of my 9.8's that are on their way back to me. The invoice was marked shipped/safe late in the day. A side nite must be added...yes CGC is behind, but they have extended hours until ten at night to get more done. This dedication is one of the reasons why, even with drops in the grades they previously were, make me dedicated to getting more books graded.

Now I will have to wait until I get them back, box them up, and ship them back...or will I.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Ps... Random book quote...

"And I would have you believe, my sons, that the same Justice which punishes sin may also most graciously forgive it"

14731.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I'm sorry to hear that as well. I don't know though man, a book from 1978 in CGC 9.6 condition with a signature is pretty nice. Plus the cost of pressing and resubmitting...and it's like throwing away the money spent on the first slab. Makes me want to press everything so as not to risk the drop in grade (which I'm sure is what CCG was hoping we'd think when they purchased CCS). The Spidey book looks familiar, like I've seen it on eBay or something...hmmm. Hope your books sell so you make it to ECCC!

sig.jpg

The Sienkiewicz cover set is now 114 items away on the Full Set request list.

It's coming Ronnylama. They just have a lot to input and create before they get to it.

Like you though, I'm frustrated with the long time frame. Turnaround times are nothing compared to the length of time to get a full set request done right now.

:frustrated:

I may be wrong, but in my opinion, these drops in grade may have nothing to do with handling, but more to do with interior degradation than cover/exterior degradation.

It is possible, these comics, at raw stage, were high 8's or low 9's, and with pressing, got the bump up to 9.4, 9.6, or 9.8, depending if the flaws were superficial and easily remedied by pressing. But if interior degradation at its most earliest stages (page yellowing, rusting on staples, foxing, loosening of staples, mold), had begun prior to pressing and grading and went undetected, once the comic is encapsulated, it retards the degradation process somewhat, enough to protect the comic from most harm. However, the moment that comic is removed from encapsulation and reintroduced to the humid and acidic nature of our climate, interior degradation may accelerate, and no amount of pressing or dry cleaning is going to help and therefore, as Surfer has mentioned, it becomes a pretty hefty price tag with mixed results.

Here's an analogy: I look at it like going to the dentist. One year you go for a check-up and all teeth are fine. Next year... there's a cavity suddenly! And your like... but I take care of my teeth? How's that possible? Sometimes the first time around, they don't catch it because the decay is at a very early stage... essentially undetectable. But all that decay needs is a little push. And that push comes from bacteria, humidity, acid, and a number of other atmospheric and external conditions that accelerate the process of decay. In my opinion, and I don't know if this true or false, but it may also be possible, the process of pressing also helps accelerate such decay, if heat and water is used.

I definitely don't want to discourage you, but I believe, on a microscopic level, with the sensitive nature and make-up of newsprint paper, things can happen that none of us are prepared for. And this may be some of the things graders may see and detect that we can't.

And, in my opinion, I also feel, graders are not taking very detailed notes during the grading process. I firmly believe, detailed notes about the totality of the comic must be taken. However, this inevitably will slow the process of turnover time... potentially hampering it to a painful crawl... but I think detail grader notes should be done for any comic over 10 years old.

Anyway... my opinions.

Hopefully grades come back better for you.

Good luck.

SW3D

And, in my opinion, I also feel, graders are not taking very detailed notes during the grading process. I firmly believe, detailed notes about the totality of the comic must be taken. However, this inevitably will slow the process of turnover time... potentially hampering it to a painful crawl... but I think detail grader notes should be done for any comic over 10 years old.

I wholeheartedly agree. As mentioned in a recent post of mine from earlier this week, my friend bought grader's notes for a book of his from 1965 that came back as 7.0. For $10, he got a measly SEVEN WORDS. You can sum up everything that made a book a 7.0 with one seven-word phrase? C'mon graders, be a little more transparent with your reasoning.

In my opinion you should never submit a bronze age or early copper age 9.8 graded book for a signature session...it's too risky!!!

Spine stress comes out even if you don't handle the books!

And honestly speaking 0.2-0.4 is in my opinion the systematic error of grading...so the same book submitted 5 times may get 9.6 three times and 9.8 two times...

A part from this, when I bump into superhigh-grade silver age books with a yellow label I feel very sad for seeing such a nice book spoilt.

I feel that 9.6-9.8 comic books from silver and bronze age should remain in their slab for eternal preservation...but that's just my humble opinion...

Ciao!

Federico

The New Mutants I submitted was from my own collection. At the time I submitted it I still did not have a 9.8 copy and I was still learning. I knew my copy wouldn't attain a 9.8 and I was pleased that it received a 9.4. If I remember correctly, I think I graded the book a 9. As far as any instant decay, I have to disregard that. These aren't thousands of years old, or even centuries old. And this book in particular is only about to hit the thirty year mark.

I will get the notes because a drop from a 9.4 to an 8.5 is something to look into. I also have to find the original photos too and see if a mark on the spine was there before because i don't remember it. Either way. The book is home and ten more are on the way. Thank toy to everyone who replied or commented.

And as for the dentist analogy...I hate dentists and now I am reminded...it is time to make an appointment. Thanks Screenwriter3D