• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a modern non fight and tight book last?

51 posts in this topic

I was just thinking. Can a modern comic book that is NOT a fights and tights comic be sustainable for 600 to 700 issues? Marvel and DC has history and shared universes on their side in which we see new characters introduced along side some of our personal favorites. Over the course of time these books gain readership and eventually these characters become more recognizable to the public. The flip side contained books and universes don't get the exposure outside of us collectors who know about the book. I am just rambling I could probably write more but it sucks typing on a cell phone.

Absolutely. With each passing year, The BigBloatedTwo's output of floppies become less and less important.

The big two are the big two for a reason. The shared universe and characters people love and care about are a huge part of it. Other books that could run that long, need to become part of the mainstream culture, like the characters from the big two that sustain popularity. Archie is a good examples, will zombies still be interesting to people in 50 years? that's hard to say, certainly some will always care.

I think for walking dead to get to 700, you'd have to have some form of "new generation" etc.

im not saying the big two arent going anywhere. Yes, The shared universe and characters people love and care about will always be popular, but they are just re-hashing the same mess over and over and over again.

When was the last time the big two introduced a (literally) new character that anyone cares about?

im not saying the big two arent going anywhere. Yes, The shared universe and characters people love and care about will always be popular, but they are just re-hashing the same mess over and over and over again.

When was the last time the big two introduced a (literally) new character that anyone cares about?

well, there are lots of diamonds in the rough, but i agree, the flag ship titles and cross over events do tend to be paint by numbers. I cancelled all the avengers titles when I started pulling Image books.

I am certainly more of a marvel guy, and I am fairly far behind in my reading of all comics. But young loki and ruckas punisher were probably my two favourite comics of 2012, both revolved around new characters.

Time will tell, and you can definitely see that the majors (especially Marvel) are looking to expand into less "tights/fights" based cosmic storylines.

I'm not sure if its a question of whether anything non genre can make it to the 600-700 mark, but can any new property, hero or not that comes to prominence now will last that long.

All the big two seem to know how to change is race and sexual orientation.

Have a go http://marvel.com/games/play/31/create_your_own_superhero

Which brings us back to a lack of creativity. If I'm a writer or artists, there is no way I'm giving Marvel or DC my best stuff when I will reap nothing down the road for the effort. This is the main reason I started reading Image comics and the like. The reigns are off and creators can let loose all that they have in them.

What will Carl Grimes look like in Walking Dead #700 lol

Little has more lives than a house full of cats.

He'll be a vampire, but reformed, ala Blade or Spike/Angel.

Also look out for a Future timeline Carl to come back in time and play a major role around 650.

And of course the clones....

Loki and Punisher are anything but new.

Who are the new characters? (im asking honestly)

sorry was afk, kid loki is not quite the same as actual loki, and Rachel Cole is the main character of Rucka's punisher. Punisher is just part of the palette on which it was drawn.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Kid_Loki_%28Earth-616%29

http://marvel.wikia.com/Rachel_Cole_%28Earth-616%29

im sorry, but "Kid Loki" sure sounds like Loki, maybe a younger version or his son.

Same goes for Rachel Cole, could be his Daughter. Same outfit. Wolverine has a daughter too, i think.

Thinking about it some, i SUPPOSE one could argue that "Talon" is a "New" character

totally unoriginal FFS.