• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VIrginia Comicon

26 posts in this topic

I didn't make it to the Alpaca show but like the 2nd day of the VA comicon it was probably easier to get around. 2nd day was great from my point of view:

1. Zero line to get in

2. Less crowds to compete with for dealer stock and could take my time inspecting the grade

3. less elbowing in the tiny booths

4. Max 5 person line to get Rob's sig which allowed for time to hang and chat and zero line for any of the other sigs,

5. since it was the day of the costume contests, a lot more hotties and cool costumes.

6. And plenty of time to circle back to schmooze with Yaya Han.-Priceless

I probably missed out on some of the comics that got picked through the day before but I found more than enough to fill some sizeable gaps in my list and at 2nd day negotiated discounted prices. Best of all, no rush. I did a full circuit noting the booths that interested me most and compared pricing then made a 2nd circle buying spree, leisurely took my purchases back to the car 2-3 times and still had time to meander and check out and enjoy the scene. Very cool comicon.

Here's what I was able to take photos of before my phone's battery died. Sans flash due to low battery so the images are kind of dark.

Coolest costume dude in the place...that is until he tripped and face planted towards the end of the con and couldn't get up. lol Forced to do the walk of shame outside of costume. :sorry: Sorry I didn't get a photo but I felt pretty bad for the guy.

IMAG2091_zpsdc3ac05c.jpg

I mean he was seriously writhing around face down on the ground for like 5 minutes until they helped remove the parts.

What's a con without a batmobile. I didn't realize they were charging for photos when I took this but got the hint when the guy moved the sign that had the price list on it directly into my line of sight -doh! doh!

IMAG2093_zpsbccc29ba.jpg

These guys won a prize, I think $200, for the costume contest. Joker and Harley were constantly in character throughout the show with great chemistry so props for the effort.

IMAG2094_zpse9a862cc.jpg

Personally, I thought there were better entries present like...

Her. :luhv: She was my personal favorite and I didn't even have to stalk her to get the photo. I turned around after paying and nearly spewed all my comics all over her. I couldn't tell if I was looking at a real superhero or a well dressed one. The pose shows she's a sweet grrrl.

IMAG2095_zps7dcc054d.jpg

More cool characters. Sorry about the blurry photos. It was only my second decent sized con and I'm getting better at prepping for them. next time I'll bring my real camera.

IMAG2096_zps918f14dd.jpg

A very dark haired Thor and lacadasical Loki. Since I'm not a hot chick or a 5 year old kid, they were probably less enthusiastic to pose for me. But....

IMAG2097_zpsc112d7b6.jpg

...Then THE HULK joined the party and brought the life and action pose out of them! "HULK POSE!!!"

IMAG2098_zps7870bbab.jpg

Party tip #157: when things start getting dull at the party, just add HULK!

And talk about spicing up a party. :cloud9: Never hurts to invite her either. Professional Cosplayer Yaya Han! Rrroaowl!

IMAG2099_zps12d2afaf.jpg

This photo seriously doesn't do her justice. I'm surprised she allowed me to take it with such a low quality camera phone that clearly fails to capture every stunning detail. My only critique (please don't attack me Yaya -er ok go ahead and pounce) is that the costume was not among her most flattering and creative. Her Chun Li is uncanny! And her Jessica Rabbit had me twitter-pated.

This dude just looked cool. Props for the only ninja turtle worthy of a pic at the show.

IMAG2100_zpsfb3c749b.jpg

Ah and sadly my only pic of Liefeld that I was able snag after recharging my camera phone. (wonder how long before this becomes a meme hm )

No he's not digging through long boxes of 90's drek looking for a potential raw NM 98 CGC 10 candidate to press and sub. He's raffling off a NM98 VF copy.

Or could be he's trying to build a fire.

Either way he peace'd out shortly thereafter with his son. I couldn't help but laugh when I heard this exchange between he and his son.

Son: "Dad, do we have to go find the winner and bring the comic to them?"

Liefeld: "No, we can go."

Son: "Oh GOOD!" with a bit of fatigue in his voice.

IMAG2101_zpsc62f2344.jpg

That's my con report. As you can see, the place was pretty bare but had lots of vendors and dealers. Not as big as Baltimore con but had plenty of stock and action to burn out my eyes and drop a chunk of change. :insane: . Day 1 I hear was a mad house. Day 2 better IMHO.

After-action report:

On my way back up to NoVa, my truck broke down. Transmission blown, barely made it to the right shoulder playing vehicular Frogger with the 18-wheeler semis. And here I was so happy about getting such great deals on comics. Overall cost of this con: $2700 in a new Transmission or donated truck. Still haven't decided. Wait, lets do a poll!!! with a couple of extra options of course.

Nice report, Loadstone.

I must have been standing right near you when the cool costume dude face-planted. Oh man, I felt so mortified for him. But I will say it was nice to see so many people run over immediately to try to help him. I'd never seen someone fall over in a costume and not able to get up. I thought that only happened in movies!