• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

Hopefully I can answer some of the questions to CBTs liking as I submit quite a few books and I press myself as well.

So far this year I have gotten 160 books graded and of those 160 books a good 90% of them were expected to be 9.8s.

Of that 90% I had 5 9.9s and 2 10.0s(and no they were not GFT books lol)

As far as pressing. I do press a book that I know will be a 9.8 if it has a couple of non-cbcs or a dent on the cover.

only 1 of the books from the 9.9 and 10 group was pressed and it was a 9.9.

Also I might add, 3 of the 9.9s were 3D covers and cannot be pressed.

I don't see the problem in sharing how one spots a potential 9.9 or 10 because they are that had to pull because of all the slight problems a book can have. It's like telling people a 4 leaf clover has 4 leaves... the challenge is finding one.

Hopefully I can answer some of the questions to CBTs liking as I submit quite a few books and I press myself as well.

So far this year I have gotten 160 books graded and of those 160 books a good 90% of them were expected to be 9.8s.

As far as pressing. I do press a book that I know will be a 9.8 if it has a couple of non-cbcs or a dent on the cover.

awesome, thanks, this aligns to my feelings on it too. My other concern, is that I dont really want to handle these books as I dont trust myself to not affect the grade. I havent checked the insides, and the few subs I have done, only missed 9.8 on internal issues.

I don't see the problem in sharing how one spots a potential 9.9 or 10 because they are that had to pull because of all the slight problems a book can have. It's like telling people a 4 leaf clover has 4 leaves... the challenge is finding one.

Neither do I but there is no spotting a 9.9/10.0. There is only increasing your odds through experience or advice from those with experience. There is no recipe. (shrug)

Neither do I but there is no spotting a 9.9/10.0. There is only increasing your odds through experience or advice from those with experience. There is no recipe. (shrug)

I agree with this. You can increase your odds in knowing what you are looking for but there is NO way you can pull a book and go, I guarantee this will be a 9.9 or 10

So you couldn't identify the 9.9/10.0's? :baiting:

Has any brave soul felt so confident to ever send in a PreScreen set at 9.9 only? I mean cause they are just so highly skilled, Results?

You can't otherwise people would...

hey JJ, I'd love to have your thoughts on the main question. Would you ever press a book you thought was a 9.9, unless it had an obvious pressable defect to remove?

awesome, thanks, this aligns to my feelings on it too. My other concern, is that I dont really want to handle these books as I dont trust myself to not affect the grade. I havent checked the insides, and the few subs I have done, only missed 9.8 on internal issues.

This may sound silly, but I actually wear cloth gloves when I press books I am going to submit, I did especially with Peter Panzerfaust #9 and Xfiles Season 10 Hastings cover. Those covers picked up finger prints permanently.

No, he can't. Nobody can. CGC themselves can't do it.

Keep in mind that any claims to be able to spot a 9.9/10.0 is making a false claim. Dre has a great eye and experience. The OP referred to bulk submissions. Anyone who is good at determining high grade books tends to have a large amount of experience. The "bulk" is not in the submissions but in the number of books they have examined, submitted and compared to others.

I always told Beachbum that I was a big fan of his line "I only sell the cleanest books". This implied he looks at multiple copies and chose the "best". I enjoy the conversation I have on this topic.

Nobody can claim to "know 9.9/10.0's" because CGC does not know. Pick a book and submit it multiple times. Compare the grades. (thumbs u

My most recent example was cracking a blue 9.8 for sigs. It cam back 9.6. Acceptable grade drop for the sigs. Same book cracked for 3 more sigs and came back 9.8.

To claim you can call a 9.9/10.0 is to claim you can predict that 3 graders at some future time will agree with your assessment. When was the last time 3 people agreed with you about anything? ;)

:roflmao:

I know what a 9.9 and 10.0 looks like and I make sure to pull them when I spot them.

I'm not surprised when a book comes back 9.9 or 10.0

I always pull the cleanest copies regardless. Some 9.8s present better than others.

When I received Dre's book, they always bring the joy to my heart, because they are the cleanest book.