• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

This always sounds like a good bet to me. Anyone who thinks they have the skill we'll meet at a con, you pick 30 9.9/10.0's and submit them under my account. I'll pay $100 per 9.9/10.0 and the skill guy pays me $100 per every 9.8.

Any takers?

This make no sense at all. you can go through all 100 books (LTD) or 500 or 1000, there is not a single book higher than 9.8 due to printing and handling. 9.9 10 are much much less.

So far I submitted 112 books myself. got 5 9.9 back, 4 of them I knew before they were submitted. 1 was pleasant surprise, I thought it was a 9.8.

when you guys take less than a minute exam the book, 9.9 and higher is a shot.

Do you see any limitations other than "at a con"? When someone finds 30 books they believe to be 9.9/10.0 then we would submit them. The idea is not to limit the amount of books to choose from. Both people that commented that it makes no sense made certain assumptions. It also does not have to be 30 of the same book.

The "bet" is simply to submit 30 books that are believed to be 9.9/10.0 and measure the results vs CGC grading. I thought I was being nice saying 9.9/10.0 as opposed to identifying which are 9.9 and which are 10.0.

You'd lose that bet and lose your shirt on it.

It's sounding more and more like a bet. :baiting:

Throwing in the grading fees as well?

We have to come up with the parameters of the bet. Specifically for grading fees I would say whoever loses pays grading.

We would need

1) Timeline

2) rules on which books

Just to start.

lol so now we're making "rules" - you're starting to catch up with the flaws in your original bet

"A fool and his money are easily parted"

lol

It would take me ten minutes to get over to storage to grab 30 CGC 10.0s in my collection (all Marvels and Image to boot)

I'd crack all 30 thirty out and bring them to the show and submit them.

Easy win - Branget's bet was flawed from the start.

Which is exactly one of the scenarios which necessitates some parameters. (shrug)

We are testing your ability to call a 9.9/10.0 and not your abili to crack one out. I guess I'm not a fool since I still have my money?? And the idea that you suggested this makes me want to ensure there are quite a few rules and witnesses. (thumbs u

You claim you can tell. Why not put it to the test?

Because it is a stupid bet.

You are going to come up with parameters to tilt it to your side regardless and how would you know I was cracking out the books unless I told you so. No one could tell.

And by the way I love the argument "no GFT books". As with any print run books are going to be what they come off the press looking like. I went through 250 copies of Hit List 2 at WW Austin to find 20 9.8 candidates. Poor bastards after me couldn't find 9.8 copies after that. Kevlar only pulled 2 from what was left when he got to the show.

I pull 9.9s and 10.0s from the Grimms because I look for them like anything else. You see a lot of them in my sales thread because they're out in the open. You don't see all the 9.9s & 10.0s I get for Marvel, Image, and DC since they mainly go to my 9.8 subscribers.

The bet was not stupid dude. The parameters would be to prevent cheating and properly test your claim that you can call a 9.9/10.0. That's it, that's all, nothing else. :eyeroll:

Here's what I'm going to say in the matter and walk away... to the post office to ship my boxes, then walk my dogs...

I have nothing against Jeff (Branget) even though I think he comes off as an "arrogant know it all" when he makes blanket statements like he has in this thread.

Grading is a skill. A few years ago I discovered I had the skill to pick out 9.8 and higher books. My 9.8 pre-screen success rate is somewhere around 97 - 98%. I miss a few books here and there - I can't help it the way Marvels and IDWs are produced these days.

I find in life when someone is good at something (whatever it may be) others who are not as good will tend to try to knock that person down to make sense of the situation or make them feel better about themselves. I was warned about this a long time ago by a very wise man here on the boards with the initials of "J.J." lol

All I can say is I KNOW what 9.9s and 10.0s look like and I look for them patiently when I'm pulling books - regardless of publisher.

And I don't do it by bulk submissions of one cover either . I just got my first two 10.0s for Big Dog Ink (Campbell covers). I subbed two books - and got two 10.0s. I picked those two books for a reason.

If it makes you feel better by thinking or saying it's done by bulk submissions or pure luck well good for you.

All I know is what I know, and what I do.

Here's what I'm going to say in the matter and walk away... to the post office to ship my boxes, then walk my dogs...

I have nothing against Jeff (Branget) even though I think he comes off as an "arrogant know it all" when he makes blanket statements like he has in this thread.

Grading is a skill. A few years ago I discovered I had the skill to pick out 9.8 and higher books. My 9.8 pre-screen success rate is somewhere around 97 - 98%. I miss a few books here and there - I can't help it the way Marvels and IDWs are produced these days.

I find in life when someone is good at something (whatever it may be) others who are not as good will tend to try to knock that person down to make sense of the situation or make them feel better about themselves. I was warned about this a long time ago by a very wise man here on the boards with the initials of "J.J." lol

All I can say is I KNOW what 9.9s and 10.0s look like and I look for them patiently when I'm pulling books - regardless of publisher.

And I don't do it by bulk submissions of one cover either . I just got my first two 10.0s for Big Dog Ink (Campbell covers). I subbed two books - and got two 10.0s. I picked those two books for a reason.

If it makes you feel better by thinking or saying it's done by bulk submissions or pure luck well good for you.

All I know is what I know, and what I do.

I recommend Dre and his submission service all the time. We talk at many conventions through the year. I've asked him at cons to prescreen books for me. There is certainly nothing personal and he runs a great business. He is also an excellent grader. I could call him one of the best.

I made a blanket statement that nobody can call a 9.9/10.0 and they can't. If someone was convinced that they could then they could take $3k from a fool. I picked 30 books because that's the max per invoice.

I mentioned parameters because how many does someone have to "get right" to make the claim that they can spot a 9.9/10.0? 5 out of 30? 15 out of 30? 30 out of 30?

There are also some books in the past that have many 9.9/10.0's because of cover stock. Locke and Key comes to mind. No need to include those because everyone gets 9.9/10.0's. lol

I'll mention one last time about your "stats" Dre. 97-98% pass rate does not mean you were right 97-98% of the time. There may be many CGC 9.8's that did not make your prescreen. This is also why I was very fond of "I only sell the cleanest books".

If anyone wishes to bet for a heroes donation just shoot me a PM. (thumbs u

Dre has great grading skills. He can not call a 9.9/10.0 with any accuracy.

Why?

Dre is not CGC

Grading is subjective

It's just the name of the game. :banana:

I cant believe these guys are even sharing this much.

Its like advertising directly to your competition. There are more wolves reading this thread then anybody else.

I don't do slabs (for all types of sane reasons), but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't advertise anything in here to help my competition.