• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Club Med variants?

4 posts in this topic

Hola.

I recently ordered a batch of Archie back issues off of ebay. I received them today and had a bit of a surprise. The copy of Archie #401 I received isn't the normal edition, but rather a free Club Med giveaway version.

There's no number or price on the front cover. Instead, the box where those usually appear has the comics code authority. In the upc box, instead of a bar code, there's a thing that says "ENJOY THIS COMIC COMPLIMENTS OF CLUB MED."

Now, the issue actually takes place at Club Med. So I am wondering if this was a one time deal worked out between Archie Comics and Club Med just for this special issue, or if Club Med had free variant editions of other comics.

Anyone know anything about this? Are there other Club Med variants out there?

Cool giveaway... I have never heard of it before and there are no copies in the Census so this may be pretty rare or very obscure or both! This is probably a one time deal just because I assume others would have turned up by now. Hmm, one more to keep an eye out for.

Thanks for sharing!

Here's a photo if anyone is curious. Which doesn't seem to be the case, but anyhow:

SAM_0932.jpg

Super condition and a neat find. I've never heard of this variant before. I'm guessing it is a one time deal. Club Med got to advertise their service on the cover of the regular issue too. (thumbs u From the description of the company, I suspect they paid good money for that "product" placement and the free issues to give away. Does anyone know if Club Med advertised inside Archie comics around this time period?