• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 Cent Variant Registry

37 posts in this topic

how rare is this one.... 1803474-ComicBook0465.JPG

I guess I answered my own question....three in the census....2 8.0 1 5.5

but compared to others...where does this one fit in? I know 30 C vs 35 C variants aren't nearly as uncommon.

1803474-ComicBook0465.JPG.28237d732d2882e4a973b185dbd69655.JPG

The 3 copies of MSH 57 in the census: 2 @ 8.5 and 1 @ 5.0

( gossip.gif I have two slabbed copies CGC 8.5 and CGC 5.0 and the other 8.5 is Glenn Malloy's copy, also on his registry set).

Based on the board members that have or are attempting complete 30 cent variant sets, that's at least 7 more copies (not slabbed) and who knows if they have dupes confused-smiley-013.gif they are definitely hard to come across in high grade (9.2 and up for variants)

MSH 57 and 58 are relatively tough to get in comparison to the other titles, but are, IMO, easier to come by than the Western variants.

Just a quick list from my experience of toughest to come by (remember I'm still actively chasing high grade copies so I'm searching hiddens on ebay daily):

Kid colts

Mighty Marvel Western

Ringo Kid

Sgt Fury's

Two-Gun Kid

Chamber of Chills

Weird Wonder Tales

Tomb of darkness

Werewolf by night

Marvel SuperHeroes

Marvels Greatest Comics

Marvel TRiple Action

Adventures on the planet of the apes (6 and 7 can be really tough, 5's grow on trees confused-smiley-013.gif )

Marvel Adventures

Jungle actions

MDFs, Kull 16, Kazars

The rest are fairly more common. Other collectors may have different experiences, but remember that they may have been hooked up by another collector on rarer issues, making that issue for them easeir to acquire.

( gossip.gif I have two slabbed copies CGC 8.5 and CGC 5.0 and the other 8.5 is Glenn Malloy's copy, also on his registry set).

Based on the board members that have or are attempting complete 30 cent variant sets, that's at least 7 more copies (not slabbed) and who knows if they have dupes confused-smiley-013.gif they are definitely hard to come across in high grade (9.2 and up for variants)

MSH 57 and 58 are relatively tough to get in comparison to the other titles, but are, IMO, easier to come by than the Western variants.

Just a quick list from my experience of toughest to come by (remember I'm still actively chasing high grade copies so I'm searching hiddens on ebay daily):

Kid colts

Mighty Marvel Western

Ringo Kid

Sgt Fury's

Two-Gun Kid

Chamber of Chills

Weird Wonder Tales

Tomb of darkness

Werewolf by night

Marvel SuperHeroes

Marvels Greatest Comics

Marvel TRiple Action

Adventures on the planet of the apes (6 and 7 can be really tough, 5's grow on trees confused-smiley-013.gif )

Marvel Adventures

Jungle actions

MDFs, Kull 16, Kazars

The rest are fairly more common. Other collectors may have different experiences, but remember that they may have been hooked up by another collector on rarer issues, making that issue for them easeir to acquire.

thumbsup2.gifThanks for the information...I've only got 3 or 4 different ones that just happen to be in the collection...I'm not sure if I have any 35 cent variants, but haven't come across any yet....although I might easily miss it too.

Kid colts

Mighty Marvel Western

Ringo Kid

Sgt Fury's

Two-Gun Kid

Chamber of Chills

Weird Wonder Tales

Tomb of darkness

Werewolf by night

Marvel SuperHeroes

Marvels Greatest Comics

Marvel TRiple Action

Marvel Adventures

Jungle actions

MDFs, Kull 16, Kazars

I agree with most of the above and Carl has been at this longer than I. However, you left Rawhide Kid off the list and I would put that right below Kid Colt or at least even with MMW. I would also move WBN down to the Jungle Action range and move Marvel Adventures above MTA. Again this is based on my experience which may not be reality since as Carl says it just depends on how you were hooked up. I also had a heck of a time finding decent copies of Master of Kung Fu. They are not tough to find in low grade but decent copies always seem to elude me or go for out-of-this-world prices.

Good to see some variant talk again around here too. Hey Comicdey, what other variants to you have? Could you post them up? grin.gif

Hey thanks, that was quick. I always get excited talking about variants. Now that you posted up the Black Goliath I also had a devil of a time upgrading my BG #3 to a decent Fine. I must have bought 4 or 5 before I finally got a keeper. Now you are only 183 away from the full set. wink.gif

I may be 183 away...but it'd take an act of God to finish it.....as I'm not on the hunt....I like them...but I'm not focused that way right now.....

Saying that....I'm always willing to pick them up for a song if I can find them.

My favorite variant that I have is a color variation book.

Kid colts

Mighty Marvel Western

Ringo Kid

Sgt Fury's

Two-Gun Kid

Chamber of Chills

Weird Wonder Tales

Tomb of darkness

Werewolf by night

Marvel SuperHeroes

Marvels Greatest Comics

Marvel TRiple Action

Marvel Adventures

Jungle actions

MDFs, Kull 16, Kazars

I agree with most of the above and Carl has been at this longer than I. However, you left Rawhide Kid off the list and I would put that right below Kid Colt or at least even with MMW. I would also move WBN down to the Jungle Action range and move Marvel Adventures above MTA. Again this is based on my experience which may not be reality since as Carl says it just depends on how you were hooked up. I also had a heck of a time finding decent copies of Master of Kung Fu. They are not tough to find in low grade but decent copies always seem to elude me or go for out-of-this-world prices.

Good to see some variant talk again around here too. Hey Comicdey, what other variants to you have? Could you post them up? grin.gif

Nice catch! i'll answer this in the bronze thread and revive that old doozy. Maybe get some more experienced collectors to share their rankings.

Comicdey, thanks for sharing and I would say that you're at least off to a good start with the ones you have. the MSH is definitely a keeper thumbsup2.gif

I've got a very cool color (or lack thereof) variant of Marvel's Greatest 81 that is posted at the STL forum (If I recall). MY scan's too big to post up here unless I want to host it.

How rare are these:

ChamberofChills22CGC7.jpg

ChamberofChills23.jpg

Those are tough books. Not as rare as the westerns, but in the same range as the other horror books. NICE finds. thumbsup2.gif

How rare are these:

ChamberofChills22CGC7.jpg

ChamberofChills23.jpg

Those are tough books. Not as rare as the westerns, but in the same range as the other horror books. NICE finds. thumbsup2.gif

Agreed, the COC 22 is the tougher of the two as I have seen about 7 or 8 of the 23 on E-Bay over the years but only 2 or 3 of the 22. The SS slab is cool also... is that the only SS 30 cent variant? I don't seem to recall another. Very nice!

Ouch! That is a sweet book (the 22) and I do have my eye on it up on ebay. Good luck with the sale. chamber of chills is definitely tough to come by and the 22 rarer than the 23. I have not seen many in high grade (9.2+). Sorry to hear about the package shipping mishap. Usually packing these in mylar, cardboard sandwich and bubble wrap wards off any transit damage, but you never know what can happen

As for the only SS 30 cent variant, I know Beyonder Chris has a sweet Hulk 202 sig series he was selling in the forum only sales area. I never thought of going that route with this collection, but I could really see the challenge in trying to get this particular set sig seriesed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ouch! That is a sweet book (the 22) and I do have my eye on it up on ebay. Good luck with the sale. chamber of chills is definitely tough to come by and the 22 rarer than the 23. I have not seen many in high grade (9.2+). Sorry to hear about the package shipping mishap. Usually packing these in mylar, cardboard sandwich and bubble wrap wards off any transit damage, but you never know what can happen

As for the only SS 30 cent variant, I know Beyonder Chris has a sweet Hulk 202 sig series he was selling in the forum only sales area. I never thought of going that route with this collection, but I could really see the challenge in trying to get this particular set sig seriesed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, you saw it up on the 'bay did ya? I set a fairly aggressive reserve on it (if you want a PM as to what it is I'll tell ya).