• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Using eBay as a Price Guide

277 posts in this topic

What the store did doesn't bother me. The book didn't have a price on it when you took it up to the counter and asked. He figured out the price.

You don't have to buy it.

He's just mad that he wasn't able to get one over on the shop, and then sell the book for 5-10x what he paid for it. lol

QUESTION to the FORUM: How can LCS's avoid this problem and still be able to make price adjustments for overnight hot books? I guess don't price anything and look it up on a book by book basis in the back before quoting prices.

1. Dont put the hot new stuff online, unless you are prepared to keep a daily eye on the market. Its just to volatile. Put your more static (G/S/B) stuff online, but still keep an eye on the news. When you hear Ultron is the new movie vilian pull the books from your online inventory until you know what you want to list them at.

The fact that your example had issues 2-10 at cover, means they had gone almost a year without making updates. Thats crazy. They know whats hot, and were to lazy to make updates to their pricing database.

Like the OP, I wouldn't have bought the issue from the LCS, but at the same time the OP was trying to pull a fast one on the dude, which is just human nature… Everyone wants a good deal.

The shop should value the books higher, but not $20. I bet the OP would've bought a copy if they offered one for $10.

So I walk into a comic store about 20 miles away from me, never been there before so I wanted to check it out. I start digging through some boxes and come across like 6 copies of Alias 1 and a handful of copies of some back issues of New-Xmen and grab like 3 copies of each and bring them to the counter.

He looks at both issues and says...

"I can only let you buy 1 of these (Alias) and 2 of these to save some for other people (New X-Men)"

"Fine" I said

Store employee grabs the Alias 1 and picks up the Overstreet then immeditally puts it down and goes on the computer.

Gets back up, holds up the Alias 1 and says

"Um, this is like a $20 book, Do you still want it?"

"What's that an ebay price"? I said

"Yea" He said.

"I'm not payin ebay prices for it and he said "ok. these are $4 each (New X-Men")

I said , No I don't want those either and left.

That was the first and last time I'll ever walk in that store again.

If your LCS wants eBay prices, then list it on eBay!!!

Anyone else running into this problem?? eBay is the new price guide so it seems!

This is also from what I've read online reviews about were selling the new DC 3-D covers for $7 each on the same day they shipped.

I really don't understand why you are complaining. You grab multiples of unpriced hot books and are shocked when the store, a store you don't frequent, charges you going rates. It also sounds like you didn't make a counter-offer which just screams flipper.

If a book is in plastic, and is not priced, then assume it will be priced when you get to the counter. Simple. Also simple is if the book is priced then the store should honor the price. It is wildly_fanciful_statement that the store wouldn't honor their own price.

LCS hardly ever give deals, you have to catch them sleeping.

Good LCSs give good deals when it is in their interest (frequent customer discounts, pull box discounts, seasonal sales)

My old shop in Michigan always rounded way down when I threw a stack of back issues on the counter to buy. They'd ring up the prices on the pricetag, Say $48, and then say... "eh lets just make it $40"

Was I coming out far enough ahead to pay off my student loans? No, but I was coming out ahead of what it would cost to get the books online (and I didnt have to wait for shipping!)

QUESTION to the FORUM: How can LCS's avoid this problem and still be able to make price adjustments for overnight hot books? I guess don't price anything and look it up on a book by book basis in the back before quoting prices.

1. Dont put the hot new stuff online, unless you are prepared to keep a daily eye on the market. Its just to volatile. Put your more static (G/S/B) stuff online, but still keep an eye on the news. When you hear Ultron is the new movie vilian pull the books from your online inventory until you know what you want to list them at.

The fact that your example had issues 2-10 at cover, means they had gone almost a year without making updates. Thats crazy. They know whats hot, and were to lazy to make updates to their pricing database.

Seriously? Why would they update for every freaking fad? Just look it up at the time of sale and be willing to negotiate with the customer; everyone gets a good deal that way.

LCS hardly ever give deals, you have to catch them sleeping.

Good LCSs give good deals when it is in their interest (frequent customer discounts, pull box discounts, seasonal sales)

My old shop in Michigan always rounded way down when I threw a stack of back issues on the counter to buy. They'd ring up the prices on the pricetag, Say $48, and then say... "eh lets just make it $40"

Was I coming out far enough ahead to pay off my student loans? No, but I was coming out ahead of what it would cost to get the books online (and I didnt have to wait for shipping!)

Now that was a good LCS! (thumbs u

Seriously? Why would they update for every freaking fad? Just look it up at the time of sale and be willing to negotiate with the customer; everyone gets a good deal that way.

I may have truncated Ryan's example too much, his scenario was an ONLINE sale.

My opinion is if you are listing a book online for a price, you should sell it for that price.

And as you said "why update for every fad?" look at the first part of my statement. Just dont put the new relases online for sale. That way you dont have to keep track of them for your online sales.

Backstock has been sitting in their store for years and years and then someone comes up to the counter with it and now they want some insane eBay price for it? Wasn't selling for cover price in the box for the past 3 years now they want stupid money for it? If I wanted to pay that, I'd go on ebay myself!

? Didn't you say you've never been there before?

Is this store in Rocky Hill?

:juggle:

I never thought i would see the day when people think Ebay is overpriced for comics .

I just started selling books at a local trade center and thats how I plan to figure out my prices . Using Ebay as a template .

Factoring in shipping , condition , then taking into consideration Ebay and Paypal fees . I honestly dont know how you get a better gauge of comics worth than Ebay . They usually go back 3 months I think ? Now automatically taking the highest price doesnt seem right . If three copies of a book sell for $20 and one goes for $50, that shouldnt automatically make the book $50 .

Thats just my thinking .

And if anyone is in the Metro Detroit area message me for info on my comics booth .

I had the exact same scenario as the op with the same book about 2-3 weeks ago except the issue was in their storage section. Clerk looked the book up and I took it for the $20. I've gotten some good deals and had some credit with them so I didn't see an issue (no pun intended ) with them maximizing their profit. I want them to be around and if they use technology like buyers do why not. I use GPA and eBay prices when they ask too much, so fair is fair.

I may have truncated Ryan's example too much, his scenario was an ONLINE sale.

My opinion is if you are listing a book online for a price, you should sell it for that price.

And as you said "why update for every fad?" look at the first part of my statement. Just dont put the new relases online for sale. That way you dont have to keep track of them for your online sales.

(thumbs u

Seems pretty straightforward: If the books weren't priced, what they did was fine. If they have a sticker on them, I expect them to honor the price even if it's greatly undervalued. And if they don't, they'll never get my business again.

Sounds like a case where both the seller and the buyer need to better understand the business.

To the buyer: Yes E-bay makes a difference, the price guide means less and less these days. Get with the current times. E-bay and GPA matter. Flipping is fun, but not every store wants to help you make money.

To the store: put prices on books that you display in your boxes. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for an angry customer.

I hate going in the sloppy stores like that. I can remember many times where the store wants to raise the sticker price, or has it at cover price, only to tell you no. A price increase at the counter is a great path for failure.

Keep up with your stock. Its your business to keep up, not the buyers. Otherwise yes you will have angry flippers who will gladly flip you the bird.

Well, I'm sure every one of us here has scored some nice deals from an LCS and flipped them. Seeing an unmarked book, though, you should assume the guy is going to price it at the counter in some manner; buying multiples of a book, or even just one random old book (only #1, not the first few or whatever) is a good tip-off to the manager that you think you found a deal. I don't see any problem at all with them checking eBay or whatever to get a fair price.

I think the more serious error here is not trying to play ball at all. He says it's a $20 book - and he even said "You sure you still want it?" instead of just entering $20 into the cash register - a response of "well, that's eBay. I'll give you $10 for it," and going from there probably would've been a better idea.

And this is Alias #1. It's not Hulk 271 or Preacher 1 or GOTG second series 1; something that has been hot and has been abuzz for awhile. Expecting shops to keep up with instantly hot things is just a little bit crazy. Most LCSs I've ever been to are hanging on by the skin of their teeth in this economy and in competition with the internet. An extra $10 that you may have made in casual speculator flipping means more to that guy's bottom line, I'm sure.