• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Teen Titans

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone done a read or re-read of these two series lately?

Thanks to Arrow, I was motivated to dig them out of the boxes yesterday and I've set my sights on making them my next reading series. I was very sad to see my NTT #1 drown in the pipe burst 10 years back, but happy to see that it was the only book of the series to take any damage at all. Guess I'll be replacing that one soon.

I don't think I ever read NTT V1 past The Judas Contract, and I know I haven't read V2 past #30 or so even though I have through #106 which was when I stopped collecting all together (man, what a wacko completest I was). This should be fun!

Bosco, are we sharing a Copper Brain or something? lol

Copperheads unite! :headbang:

Annual 2 was first Vigilante ... hummmmmmmmmmmm .. No, I don't have all of those. Missing a chunk in the beginning of that run.

NTT was my favorite series of the 1980s. To my mind, NTT (1980) #1-50, Annuals #1-3 and NTT (1984) #1-5 are wonderful, essential reading, with both the Terra and Trigon storylines coming to their respective climaxes only after years of careful buildup. There were scattered good issues after that but both series seemed to drift a bit.

I've reread some issues occasionally, and for my money they still hold up today. Smart writing and a depth of characterization rare for superhero team books, and the Perez art is a pleasure to look at. In fact, my only regret is that these runs 'spoiled' me for the characters... it's hard for me to enjoy flashier, more generic treatments of characters like Starfire and Cyborg today.

Bosco, are we sharing a Copper Brain or something? lol

Copperheads unite! :headbang:

Annual 2 was first Vigilante ... hummmmmmmmmmmm .. No, I don't have all of those. Missing a chunk in the beginning of that run.

Shoot me a list...I have a bunch of these in high grade.

I always thought that Tanghal was the wrong inker for Perez. His inks definitely muted the pencils.
I prefer the Perez-Tanghal combination over most Perez inkers. I think he brought a really nice balance between the clean, strong contours of the foreground with the right amount of detail in the backgrounds. Perez could go overboard at times, to the point that while the eyes were impressed with all the linework, it was hard to tell what was going on. As printing techniques improved, Tanghal's thick lines weren't as elegant. The 1984 baxter paper series kicking off with 2 issues of Perez inking his own pencils was sweet.

I also liked Pablo Marcos' inks on NTT Annual 2. Marcos brought slightly more illustrative quality to the drawings, appropriate to the tone of the story.