• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2013!

231 posts in this topic

This Heritage purchase hit all the high notes I was looking for. I used to own a copy of this ish, but sold it back in '05 to pay for a plasma TV. The TV is wearing out now, and I'm thrilled to own a nice copy of this book again.

TOS39cgc.jpg

What the ?? I thought all un-witnessed signatures on the cover got a green label from CGC? And this book was just recently graded.

It's a lovely copy, BTW

Blue label = name counts as writing on the cover and a defect lowering grade

Green label = name is a name, unwitnessed, but is graded as if it's not a defect lowering technical grade.

What the ?? I thought all un-witnessed signatures on the cover got a green label from CGC? And this book was just recently graded.

It's a lovely copy, BTW

You have the choice. Higher qualified grade (as in 9.6 but it has a name written on the cover) or CGC can take the "cover writing" into account when grading it, and downgrade the book.

so its probably more like a 9.2 book that has an unverified Stan Lee signature on it.

Since so many sellers shy away from anything but Universal labels (anti-purple or green), many people choose to get a book slabbed universal and take the grade hit rather than have the non-blue stigma.

Having a signature all the way back from '75 is AWESOME.

I'm not saying for sure he signed it at SanDiego Comicon but here's something signed from the con:

143262.jpg.4bbd01f0792aacfa41f07692ab828fae.jpg

Blue label = name counts as writing on the cover and a defect lowering grade

Green label = name is a name, unwitnessed, but is graded as if it's not a defect lowering technical grade.

The confusing thing is by CGC's rules if the signature was the book owner it wouldn't be considered a defect, and the book would grade higher...and still be universal.

comix4fun... you have no idea how jealous I am! I love that book!!! Do you know the story behind Curt's message on the page?

Do you mean the inscription?

Stu Neft is a big OA collector, you can see his CAF here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=1284

I like how there's no mention on the page of the story's writer... I wonder who it was.... hm;)

comix4fun... you have no idea how jealous I am! I love that book!!! Do you know the story behind Curt's message on the page?

Do you mean the inscription?

Stu Neft is a big OA collector, you can see his CAF here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=1284

I like how there's no mention on the page of the story's writer... I wonder who it was.... hm;)

lol

Yeah it looks like the stat with his name fell off over the years.

This Heritage purchase hit all the high notes I was looking for. I used to own a copy of this ish, but sold it back in '05 to pay for a plasma TV. The TV is wearing out now, and I'm thrilled to own a nice copy of this book again.

TOS39cgc.jpg

That is incredible Bob!

8.0 WHITE and signed by Stan Lee (worship)

Number 1

With the Idea of owning a Marvel 1 so out of reach I really wanted to try and find a nice number 2 , I was lucky when a Boardie message me about this copy when he saw comments I made about wanting one

No CT or added pieces added just some tear seals and a spine split seal

EBBA41DA-2B86-4669-8B9B-A4647A7DD92D-616-000001EFFCB2D2AB_zps6f73aa15.jpg

Number 2

when I saw this book put up forsale I had to have it! traded some cool books to get it but I love having it in the box

CB8278FF-06A2-4AB3-AC3D-914583E4BE68-616-000001F00FFD4438_zps1e475efd.jpg

Number 3

OA from Basil Wolverton

no real story , just luck'd into this one lol =)

wolverton_framed2_zps884343d5.jpg

I pretty much switched exclusively to OA, but here are my three:

WD #1 Cover Recreation from Tony Moore:

10218964236_80e1ae5f68.jpg

YTLM gets the breakfast club treatment from Pia Guerra:

9666249670_dfe9fabe9f.jpg

Not comic related, but I finally got my Banksy that I regretted not buying back in 2008.

11012741513_0f363e504e.jpg

Very difficult as ever….but maybe these three

1) Cover to What If 2…One of my fave run of comics, always remember this one and loved the cover.

image_zpscdb0fc46.jpg

2) CS 22 - always wanted a high grade copy - second highest graded will do!

crimesuspenstories22_zpsc36fe181.jpg

3) Thunda 1 cgc 9.6 - a great book, this is the highest graded copy, always regretted not getting the 9.4 prior highest graded, obviously it was not meant to be, so I could get this perfect puppy instead

thunda_zps987606f3.jpg

also managed to cross a bunch of other books and art of the list. but for the moment these are the top three