• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eGay Fight against crime bid war

63 posts in this topic

Richard, if you meant the most coveted crime book (since I believe FAC 20 came out in 1954), do you really believe this book is more sought after than CDNP 22?

Yes. CDNP #22 is a bigger key in the traditional sense ( 1st issue of genre launching title), but my instincts tell me more collectors are looking for FaC #20, The cross-over appeal to PCH collectors a part of it. Based on the cover-centric nature of crime and horror collectors I'd be willing to bet that CDNP #24 is more sought after than #22, and someone with access to GPA may be able clarify, but I believe #24 may sell for more than #22 in a given grade.

Well, I've no idea who has the other 7.5 but here is mine for comparison.

KGrHqRHJBYFHKZ0oeO8BR2FfFedkg60_57_zps65ea84f4.jpg

...and here is my CDNP#24 - structurally better than the FAC, but hammered by a very light bc stain.

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

My sense of it is that the later book has caught up with the earlier in value and demand.

Actually curious to know which issue fellow boardies prefer?

I personally find it difficult to separate them.

...and here is my CDNP#24 - structurally better than the FAC, but hammered by a very light bc stain.

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

My sense of it is that the later book has caught up with the earlier in value and demand.

Those are sweet copies! That FaC looks nicer than a 7.5, and is clearly a better looking book than then the raw one that just sold. Are you asking which we prefer of the above two, or CDNP 22 & 24? I love them all, but I'd rank FaC #20 higher as the cover isn't cluttered with text and a sidebar and the stories are more brutal.

both cool. congrats on the wonderful books. Matter of taste but I prefer CDNP 24 to the FAC20

Interesting. The current trend may support your contention but I would point out that there is only one "first crime book" while there are a a few classic decapitation covers, one of which is more common in relative terms but superior in its historical place (and a nicer cover imho). I agree that "cover-centricity" happens to be a primary factor for PCH collectors (I happen to be one of them) but there are certain books that while lacking the degree necessary to have the "classic look," make up for it in terms of historical significance and are the exception. CDNP 22 is one of those rare books that has yet to reach the status it deserves. Still, while CDNP 22 is the "Action Comics" of Pre Code Crime and currently undervalued, if a 7.0 copy of CDNP surfaces on the market, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for much more than the $4999.00 asking price for the CDNP 24 currently on Ebay.

CrimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

Those are sweet copies! That FaC looks nicer than a 7.5, and is clearly a better looking book than then the raw one that just sold. Are you asking which we prefer of the above two, or CDNP 22 & 24? I love them all, but I'd rank FaC #20 higher as the cover isn't cluttered with text and a sidebar and the stories are more brutal.

To be clear, I mean the two I posted. And you make a good point, though I find them both equally expressionistic. What I find spooky about the FAC is the look of near tranquility on the girl's face!

Interesting. The current trend may support your contention but I would point out that there is only one "first crime book" while there are a a few classic decapitation covers, one of which is more common in relative terms but superior in its historical place (and a nicer cover imho). I agree that "cover-centricity" happens to be a primary factor for PCH collectors (I happen to be one of them) but there are certain books that while lacking the degree necessary to have the "classic look," make up for it in terms of historical significance and are the exception. CDNP 22 is one of those rare books that has yet to reach the status it deserves. Still, while CDNP 22 is the "Action Comics" of Pre Code Crime and currently undervalued, if a 7.0 copy of CDNP surfaces on the market, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for much more than the $4999.00 asking price for the CDNP 24 currently on Ebay.

Could you supply a link? I cant see it and I'm curious. I'm in the UK and Ebay now appears to block access to US only listings - very frustrating!

I would agree that CSS #22 has a far superior cover than FaC #20 as well as being a more culturally significant book, and if weren't comparatively common I don't doubt it would sell for far more than FaC #20. I'm with you on CDNP #22 being undervalued in terms of it's "keyness" ( especially since I already have a copy), but we've also entered an era where first issue keys that don't also introduce a significant continuing character are losing the competition to the major "classic covers" of their particular genre. This extends to Superhero books. Look at Pep #34, it's worth far more than Pep #1 or Pep #17, and it's not because it's the 13th appearance of Archie in the title.

Could you supply a link? I cant see it and I'm curious. I'm in the UK and Ebay now appears to block access to US only listings - very frustrating!

You're right - never realized that they did that. Wonder how long they've been doing it. Another beneficial move from the folks at the bay.

FAC 20 is the most difficult of the three books to get, followed by CDNP 24 then CSS 22. CSS 22 is by far the most common of the three.

I don't think it will ever be in the same league as the first two mentioned, simply because its always easy to get a copy whenever you want. Or wait a little while and find one in the wild for much less.

You're right - never realized that they did that. Wonder how long they've been doing it. Another beneficial move from the folks at the bay.

For a while now Andy. I only realized when a friend told me he'd listed some books and I couldn't find them. For a while, clearing eBay cookies restored the listings - about 5000 of them, but they've gotten wise to that!

The other helpful thing they've done is encourage sellers to sign up to a universal shipping program which automatically calculates and charges the buyer for import duties, including for the UK. The only problem is, there are no import duties on printed paper items to the UK! And the seller has no means to adjust the invoice.

For a while now Andy. I only realized when a friend told me he'd listed some books and I couldn't find them. For a while, clearing eBay cookies restored the listings - about 5000 of them, but they've gotten wise to that!

The other helpful thing they've done is encourage sellers to sign up to a universal shipping program which automatically calculates and charges the buyer for import duties, including for the UK. The only problem is, there are no import duties on printed paper items to the UK! And the seller has no means to adjust the invoice.

The global shipping program (which involves the buyer paying about 30% of the price of the item for non-existent import duties that cannot be calculated in the U.S. anyway) is the worst thing ebay has done to UK buyers. It's certainly slowed down my purchases.

Richard, the examples you provide definitely support your position and I'd add Suspense 14 being more significant than the first issue. Nevertheless, here are two first issues with no major first appearances of a continuing character that continue to rank higher than subsequent major classic cover books: Vault of Horror 12 is a bigger EC key than CSS 22 while Witching Hour 1 surpasses issue 13. Moreover, the modern book, Walking Dead 1 is much more valuable than any subsequent classic cover book in this horror series.

CDNP 22 is not just a major key, but a book that changed the course of comic book history. It's a incredible major key that doesn't require a ist app. of a continuing character. And it has not come close to achieving its potential - so hold on to your copy.

- Interesting that what I call the "22-22 Pre Code Era" started with issue 22 and later came to an end with another issue numbered 22.

Flex- your book is so much nicer than that 7.0 - an excellent example supporting the adage "buy the book, not the grade."