• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eGay Fight against crime bid war

63 posts in this topic

If this book gets graded at 8.0 or better...

That seems unlikely...

No chance of it. It has a stain on the front cover, it's just not easy to see. CGC won't miss it.

That seems unlikely...

No chance of it. It has a stain on the front cover, it's just not easy to see. CGC won't miss it.

If you mean the discoloration at the bottom of the manhole, that's a printing defect not a stain. My copy has the same one. Still not a VF to my eyes, though the way CGC has been grading some books lately, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see it slabbed with an 8.0 label. It looks an easy 7.0 to me.

Hasn't this book sold for over 2K in around VG at least once? Given some of the crazy prices for HTF pre-code keys in better than 6.0, I'm not really that surprised at the price.

There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a raw book unless I knew the seller and her/his business practices. I just don't understand why a seller wouldn't have a book like FAC 20 CGC graded.

There is no way I would spend that kind of money on a raw book unless I knew the seller and her/his business practices. I just don't understand why a seller wouldn't have a book like FAC 20 CGC graded.

Makes you wonder, right? hm

Be interesting to see if it turns up on the Census soon (as a 7.0, 7.5, 8.0 or whatever). I don't see a buyer at that number not being a guy who is shooting for a "highest graded" copy.

That seems unlikely...

If you mean the discoloration at the bottom of the manhole, that's a printing defect not a stain. My copy has the same one. Still not a VF to my eyes, though the way CGC has been grading some books lately, I wouldn't be completely surprised to see it slabbed with an 8.0 label. It looks an easy 7.0 to me.

Aren't there stains to the corners of the back cover too? Looking closely at the LLC of the back, it even looks like the interior pages might have gotten nicked (if not worse) with the stain.

It's a pretty copy even so, but mind-boggling to me that someone would roll the dice at this price point.

That seems unlikely...

Aren't there stains to the corners of the back cover too? Looking closely at the LLC of the back, it even looks like the interior pages might have gotten nicked (if not worse) with the stain.

It's a pretty copy even so, but mind-boggling to me that someone would roll the dice at this price point.

I agree those would be the most likely reason it wouldn't achieve the advertised grade. They may be foxing/dirt that looks worse in a scan that brings out contrast, but even if straight up stains, CGC doesn't seem to be as tough on them lately as they used to be, at least in the lower mid-grades, not sure if that holds true in the upper mid grade range though. Maybe the high bidder and underbidder aren't that concerned about what CGC would call it, and knew it was probably going to be a long time before they'd have another shot at a copy that looks near this good. The book is the most coveted pre-code crime book out there from what I can tell. There is always a CSS #22 for sale, not so with this book.