• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Adventure Comics 247 or Justice League of America 1 ?

Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1

51 posts in this topic

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

+ 1 X 2....... I actually LOVE me some JLA 1...... Great cover and the story is well written and drawn..... BUT....... The Legion of Superheroes was and still is an extremely popular concept..... and I would have SO loved to see Smallville extended a couple more seasons to fully develop that angle. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Adventure #247 is still my favorite comic I own. I'm a big Legion fan (hence the name).

Honestly, I voted #247 for that reason and because it's a rarer book. I know interest in the Legion has tapered off over the years, but I would venture to guess there are far more copies of JLA #1 and even BB #28 floating around out there. The census for #247 is actually extremely low for a book of its importance.

In terms of shear importance to DC history though, I'd place the Silvers like this:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

5. Justice League of America #1

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Brave and the Bold 28 will overtake Showcase 4 in both price and popularity eventually, as it should. Just my 2c

So should Avengers #1 be more valuable than JIM #83 or TOS #39? Because that's the same thing, no?

Just the fact that there are many, many, many more copies of BB #28 out there tells me otherwise.

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

+ 1 X 2....... I actually LOVE me some JLA 1...... Great cover and the story is well written and drawn..... BUT....... The Legion of Superheroes was and still is an extremely popular concept..... and I would have SO loved to see Smallville extended a couple more seasons to fully develop that angle. GOD BLESS....

Adventure #247 is still my favorite comic I own. I'm a big Legion fan (hence the name).

Honestly, I voted #247 for that reason and because it's a rarer book. I know interest in the Legion has tapered off over the years, but I would venture to guess there are far more copies of JLA #1 and even BB #28 floating around out there. The census for #247 is actually extremely low for a book of its importance.

In terms of shear importance to DC history though, I'd place the Silvers like this:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Just noticed this list now, and can't help but think that 'Tec 225 is missing. The 1st appearance of Martian Manhunter, a founding member of the JLA & occassional challenger to Showcase #4's claim as the 1st Silver Age DC should definitely be somewhere on this list

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Just noticed this list now, and can't help but think that 'Tec 225 is missing. The 1st appearance of Martian Manhunter, a founding member of the JLA & occassional challenger to Showcase #4's claim as the 1st Silver Age DC should definitely be somewhere on this list

Wholeheartedly agree... Certainly more important than Green Lantern 1 or Flash 105.

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

+ 1 The TRUE beginning of the SIlver age A totally NEW super hero

detec225.jpg

Tec 225 is considered because it's clearly not GA, what with the code stamp, and because MM was a founding member of the JLA, but his appearance really wasn't any more the harbinger of a new era any more than Captain Comet's or The Phantom Stranger's were. Had it been three issues earlier, likely no one would consider it Silver Age.

On the other hand the re-invention of the Flash was a statement that the Golden Age heroes who hadn't survived were no longer relevant, and that if the universe of costumed heroes was going to grow, it would be new versions that take us there. It may have taken two or three years for the ball to really get rolling, but the direction was clear, and it was a path followed Marvel when they introduced a new Human Torch with no reference to the old, and initially ignored the post-war history of Captain America when reviving him.

Tec 225 is considered because it's clearly not GA, what with the code stamp, and because MM was a founding member of the JLA, but his appearance really wasn't any more the harbinger of a new era any more than Captain Comet's or The Phantom Stranger's were. Had it been three issues earlier, likely no one would consider it Silver Age. Yeah, there's that, and also the fact that Manhunter followed in the same vein as Superman ...Alien, last of his race, numerous superpowers, etc. Popular enough to be long-time back up feature in 'Tec before joining the League. Pre-dates Showcase 4. Perhaps the Flash re-vamp wouldn't have actually been approved if Martian Manhunter flopped? (shrug)

On the other hand the re-invention of the Flash was a statement that the Golden Age heroes who hadn't survived were no longer relevant, and that if the universe of costumed heroes was going to grow, it would be new versions that take us there. It may have taken two or three years for the ball to really get rolling, but the direction was clear, and it was a path followed Marvel when they introduced a new Human Torch with no reference to the old, and initially ignored the post-war history of Captain America when reviving him.

Tec 225 is considered because it's clearly not GA, what with the code stamp, and because MM was a founding member of the JLA, but his appearance really wasn't any more the harbinger of a new era any more than Captain Comet's or The Phantom Stranger's were. Had it been three issues earlier, likely no one would consider it Silver Age. Yeah, there's that, and also the fact that Manhunter followed in the same vein as Superman ...Alien, last of his race, numerous superpowers, etc. Popular enough to be long-time back up feature in 'Tec before joining the League. Pre-dates Showcase 4. Perhaps the Flash re-vamp wouldn't have actually been approved if Martian Manhunter flopped? (shrug)

Topically, this thread is converging with the Showcase #4 vs. FF #1 thread, but I will re-iterate my comment that that it's hard to imagine that Martian Manhunter had anything to do with the decision to revamp the Flash, and as Hepcat points out, Showcase and Detective were under different editorial control. Tec 225 is a key book, and I'm sure more than a few SA DC superhero completists start their collection with the issue, but it's like starting one's GA Tec run at #22, because The Crimson Avenger becomes a costumed hero, or collecting the Dr. Occult appearances as part of a DC GA hero collection. Legitimate choices for sure, but perhaps not broadly shared.

Tec 225 is considered because it's clearly not GA, what with the code stamp, and because MM was a founding member of the JLA, but his appearance really wasn't any more the harbinger of a new era any more than Captain Comet's or The Phantom Stranger's were. Had it been three issues earlier, likely no one would consider it Silver Age.

I totally agree that Detective #225 is a relevant pre-silver book, printed in that murky time between the initiation of the CCA and the re-intro of the Flash, which is the official start of the SA.

If Captain Comet stories were still in print at the time the JLA came out, I have no doubt that CC would have been a member. However, his membership in the JLA would not push back the start of the SA to early 50s (when CC first appeared in Strange Adventures).

PS. I think that time between the initiation of the Code and Showcase #4 should be known as the "Electrum Age".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum

I totally agree that Detective #225 is a relevant pre-silver book, printed in that murky time between the initiation of the CCA and the re-intro of the Flash, which is the official start of the SA.

If Captain Comet stories were still in print at the time the JLA came out, I have no doubt that CC would have been a member. However, his membership in the JLA would not push back the start of the SA to early 50s (when CC first appeared in Strange Adventures).

PS. I think that time between the initiation of the Code and Showcase #4 should be known as the "Electrum Age".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum

lol perfect!

Adventure 247 is a bigger imho but how much of Justice League 1's rise in the SA hierarchy of keys is accountable to BB 28?

If BB 28 continues to rise, will JLA 1 simply follow and pass Adventure 247?