• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comic Books

68 posts in this topic

I Mailed out a box priority the other day with $5,000 insurance (the highest amount allowed to be purchased) and asked about signature confirmation, it was not included, and you could purchase it for $2.70. As such sig confirmation is not necessary for insurance.

I Mailed out a box priority the other day with $5,000 insurance (the highest amount allowed to be purchased) and asked about signature confirmation, it was not included, and you could purchase it for $2.70. As such sig confirmation is not necessary for insurance.

As they are two separate services I was afraid that this would be the case.

We will see how the insurance claim plays out but it does not sound good.

Speaking of long odds, how about this?

LCS owner took the slab from the thieves, looked it over, bought it, scanned it and listed it on ebay. What are the odds that the police could get any useful finger prints off of the slab?

This doesn't add up to me. ALL packages sent insured by the USPS REQUIRE a SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION before it is delivered.

Not sure where you got your information but I believe any insured package over $200 requires signature, otherwise it does not.

That is what I was told last week.

I hate to say it but you should initially seek recourse from the seller. It's their responsibility to ensure that you receive the books and entrusting USPS to deliver is suspect at best.

Sellers should always do a signature confirmation unless they're willing to accept full responsibility for loss or theft.

best of luck tracking the stolen books down. The slab is easy and should be returned. I suspect you'll never know where the raw books end up.

Should the seller send along a guard dog to protect the books while they sit on a stoop?

If the books come on a day the buyer is home, its okay, but if the buyer goes out for a few minutes, the onus goes back to the seller?

Columbia Comics believes that the seller is always 100% responsible for everything, even stuff that is completely out of the seller's control. I agree that sellers should stand by their deals but how in the world is any seller responsible for some low life who steals the package off your front stoop? :screwy:

I stand behind what I said. The seller is 100% responsible until the item is in the buyer's hands.

If this had happened to me, then I would have no choice but to immediately issue a refund and then seek alternate means of recooping the loss, which I should bear.

I'm not saying it's the seller's fault. If the USPS employee left the package unattended, then its possibly their fault. I've had several parcels left on my doorstep. I always cringe at the thought of them being stolen. And I'm not saying the OP (which I believe is a true and honest guy) is making this up. Still, he did not get the merchandise he purchased. What else is there to debate?!?!

This doesn't add up to me. ALL packages sent insured by the USPS REQUIRE a SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION before it is delivered.

Not sure where you got your information but I believe any insured package over $200 requires signature, otherwise it does not.

According to seller package was insured for exactly $200 (I do not know whether or not this includes the free $50).

If signature confirmation was required, it is not on the tracking so USPS would have screwed up by leaving it on the porch.

Given the varying opinions the question as to whether a signature confirmation was required seems to be unanswered.

If you purchase insurance, you lose the free $50.00 insurance that is given.

LCS owner took the slab from the thieves, looked it over, bought it, scanned it and listed it on ebay. What are the odds that the police could get any useful finger prints off of the slab?

I was thinking of this clip from Superbad:

The LCS bought the one slab which they listed on ebay (this is how I found out they had been approached). LCS bought the slab but passed on the following raw books

Where I live, there is a condition to attaining proper business license allowing the store owner the opportunity to solicit/buy used goods, requiring the store owner to keep a log of what was bought and to report those purchases to local police (very similar to what pawn shops are supposed to be doing).

Do you know roughly how soon after they bought the slab did the book end up on eBay? I'm not 100% of the amount of time, and these conditions could be different in other cities/states, but I thought the item had to sit for a certain period of time before it could be resold.

The LCS bought the one slab which they listed on ebay (this is how I found out they had been approached). LCS bought the slab but passed on the following raw books

Where I live, there is a condition to attaining proper business license which allows the store owner the opportunity to solicity/buy used goods from patrons that requires a log be kept and reporting of those bought items to local police.

Do you know roughly how soon after they bought it did they stick it up on eBay? I'm not 100% of the amount of time, and these conditions could be different in other cities/states, but I thought the item had to sit for a certain period of time before it could be resold.

Book delivered 1:30PM 11/15

ebay offer declined 11/19

I would say that thieves took the book to LCS on 11/15 or 11/16 and that it was on ebay by 11/17.

I doubt it took the thieves long to visit the comic store once they saw what was in the box. Owner said he pretty much put the book up right away.

Where I live, there is a condition to attaining proper business license which allows the store owner the opportunity to solicity/buy used goods from patrons that requires a log be kept and reporting of those bought items to local police.

Do you know roughly how soon after they bought it did they stick it up on eBay? I'm not 100% of the amount of time, and these conditions could be different in other cities/states, but I thought the item had to sit for a certain period of time before it could be resold.

I would say that thieves took the book to LCS on 11/15 or 11/16 and that it was on ebay by 11/17.

I doubt it took the thieves long to visit the comic store once they saw what was in the box. Owner said he pretty much put the book up right away.

When reporting to the police, I would make them aware of this. I'm pretty sure there are rules in place exactly for reasons like this, and although I'm sounding like a stickler, those rules are intended to slow things down for the movement of stolen goods.

Not suggesting the LCS knew anything, but usually when things are moved that quickly it makes you wonder whether they had a feeling they might have been stolen.

When reporting to the police, I would make them aware of this. I'm pretty sure there are rules in place exactly for reasons like this, and although I'm sounding like a stickler, those rules are intended to slow things down for the movement of stolen goods.

There are rules for pawn shops. Not sure abt comic stores

There are rules for pawn shops. Not sure abt comic stores

On the contrary. Here where I live (and I not only know this because I looked into it a few years back, but also know this is still in effect because I was having this exact conversation with a new comic shop that recently opened in the area) there is a special permit/license you need to acquire to buy goods from patrons. As mentioned, there is a protocol that needs to be followed. The store asked me to be there appraiser as they've had to turn down several patrons already, and they are still in the process of being approved for the permit/license.