• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Comic Books

68 posts in this topic

I've never heard of such a rule in the States for a comic shop. Would this apply at shows?
i know some states require a finger print when you resell your items (Wisconsin) but not sure if this applies to all resales (mine was some video games at best buy)

Is there a comic book dealer association or something like that where this could be brought up to them.

I think with some of the items being sold and the high $$$ you would hope comic book dealers would be taking precautions for whenever an item they buy turns out to be stolen unless their insurance covers that type of loss

LCS owner took the slab from the thieves, looked it over, bought it, scanned it and listed it on ebay. What are the odds that the police could get any useful finger prints off of the slab?

Petty theft the police will not use the resources to care.

Perhaps but I plan to stop at the LCS tomorrow, pick up the slab, and bring it to the police station to have with me when I file the police report.

If the book is there already it would be more likely that they would bother to try to get the fingerprints.

On a related note, if they did dust for prints is there any chance that the book inside the slab gets damaged in any way from this process?

LCS owner took the slab from the thieves, looked it over, bought it, scanned it and listed it on ebay. What are the odds that the police could get any useful finger prints off of the slab?

Perhaps but I plan to stop at the LCS tomorrow, pick up the slab, and bring it to the police station to have with me when I file the police report.

If the book is there already it would be more likely that they would bother to try to get the fingerprints.

On a related note, if they did dust for prints is there any chance that the book inside the slab gets damaged in any way from this process?

How much are these comics worth compared to how much the package was insured for?

Its just powder, a wand and some tape if they find any. Dont see how it would damage the book inside

How much are these comics worth compared to how much the package was insured for?

Asking price for all of the books was around $330-350 in total (VCC posting is no longer there).

Seller and I agreed to $250.00 shipped, amount was paid through Paypal.

Books were insured for $200.00 without paying an additional $2.70 for signature confirmation.

LCS owner listed the slab by itself on ebay for $199.00 or best offer. It has been a couple weeks and despite three offers no one has paid the full $199.00 asking price yet. The listing should have been pulled by now.

Its just powder, a wand and some tape if they find any. Dont see how it would damage the book inside

If the powder got in the case it might not be good for the book. I am not sure how likely that would be.

On the other hand, finger prints may be the only way I ever see the raw books.

Asking price for all of the books was around $330-350 in total (VCC posting is no longer there).

Books were insured for $200.00 without paying an additional $2.70 for signature confirmation.

LCS owner listed the slab by itself on ebay for $199.00 or best offer. It has been a couple weeks and despite three offers no one has paid the full $199.00 asking price yet. The listing should have been pulled by now.

So the seller then messed up just because he only insured it for $200 (meaning the postal worker can just leave the package), and not the $250 you two agreed upon.

If the seller would have just insured it for $250-300 then USPS would have needed a signature anyway.

Seller could have prevented this very easily.

So the seller then messed up just because he only insured it for $200 (meaning the postal worker can just leave the package), and not the $250 you two agreed upon.

If the seller would have just insured it for $250-300 then USPS would have needed a signature anyway.

This is exactly why this whole "free shipping" nonsense needs to stop.

To ship even two slabs with $300 insurance, tracking and a signature confirmation, it would cost me between $40-$50 to a US address. Anything over that and the price probably escalates to roughly $10 for each additional slab, so with 5 slabs, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it cost the person close to $50 to ship, as it would probably near $70-$80 for me.

With a pre-arranged deal of $250 shipping included, why is the seller obligated to insure for more than $200 if the shipping amount represented $50 from the total $250 that was paid for all 5 books?

To ship even two slabs with $300 insurance, tracking and a signature confirmation, it would cost me between $40-$50 to a US address. Anything over that and the price probably escalates to roughly $10 for each additional slab, so with 5 slabs, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it cost the person close to $50 to ship, as it would probably near $70-$80 for me.

With a pre-arranged deal of $250 shipping included, why is the seller obligated to insure for more than $200 if the shipping amount represented $50 from the total $250 that was paid for all 5 books?

Doesn't matter to me.

Just saying seller didn't spend an extra $2.70 to get $50 more insurance that includes a signature upon delivery which could have prevented all of this.

I always ship books for less than the value of an auction.

For example I just sold a book worth $500, but I only insured it for $300.

I still get the $300 insurance, but I get a signature so the postman can not just leave it on the doorstep. Only thing I am risking is $200 from lose or damage, but the only damage 99.9999% of the time to a CGC book is a cracked slab that I just needs to be re-holdered.

Let's try to stay on topic.

As a seller I ship by priority mail box and use signature confirmation for amounts of $200 or greater. I offer insurance as an additional service at the buyer's option and expense.

I am not a big fan of postal insurance for several reasons the first of which is that the USPS should take responsibility for their negligence instead of charging extra to insure that they will not damage the goods that they have accepted as a courier.

Also, others who have had bad experiences may feel differently but given the high percentage of packages that USPS delivers unharmed, it may make more sense to self insure rather than pay the significant amount that they charge for the service.

Compared to the insurance, signature confirmation at $2.70 flat rate seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially on shipments in excess of $200.

As a seller I ship by priority mail box and use signature confirmation for amounts of $200 or greater. I offer insurance as an additional service at the buyer's option and expense.

I am not a big fan of postal insurance for several reasons the first of which is that the USPS should take responsibility for their negligence instead of charging extra to insure that they will not damage the goods that they have accepted as a courier.

Also, others who have had bad experiences may feel differently but given the high percentage of packages that USPS delivers unharmed, it may make more sense to self insure rather than pay the significant amount that they charge for the service.

Compared to the insurance, signature confirmation at $2.70 flat rate seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially on shipments in excess of $200.

This ought to be good.

:popcorn:

-slym (learned his lesson long ago)

What we are talking about is very much on topic.

Seller can only recoup $200 for USPS, so the difference for you to be made whole again is up to you 2.

Nothing else really to discuss anymore.

Doesn't matter to me.

Just saying seller didn't spend an extra $2.70 to get $50 more insurance that includes a signature upon delivery which could have prevented all of this.

I still get the $300 insurance, but I get a signature so the postman can not just leave it on the doorstep. Only thing I am risking is $200 from lose or damage, but the only damage 99.9999% of the time to a CGC book is a cracked slab that I just needs to be re-holdered.

The notion of inadequate coverage doesn't apply as well in this case. It's made confusing by the fact the OP appears to be claiming the insurance only covered a portion of the total value (if I recall he mentioned 80%).

Based on the information provided, that appears to be incorrect.

The final sale price, not including the shipping cost, is what should have been the coverage amount. What the seller was originally asking has nothing to do with the sellers obligation to cover the insurable amount based on final sale value.

This will be discovered during the insurance claim process anyway as any communication used to complete the transaction would have produced the "$250 shipped" as the final price, and the amount appearing on the shipping receipt would be deducted from the total price to determine the final sale value for coverage purposes.

Overpaying for insurance does not make the item eligible for any overage exceeding the final sale amount.

I think with some of the items being sold and the high $$$ you would hope comic book dealers would be taking precautions for whenever an item they buy turns out to be stolen unless their insurance covers that type of loss

In Ohio, the comic shop owner is not responsible for buying stolen items unless it can be shown that he/she likely knew they were stolen (has something to do with the pawn shop laws in this state). HOWEVER -- a decent shop will take all of the precautions it can.

We photocopy the driver's license of the seller, which is attached to their signature on a declaration that they have the legal rights to the property being sold, to which I also attach any hand-written notes about the books I took while looking through them.

It also helps that we have a $20K multi-camera security system, images off of which have proven useful in 2 stolen property cases. Sometimes I just turn down books altogether for no other reason than that something smells funny... and once the would-be sellers leave, I have a staffer sneak out and get the license-plate # just in case I later find out the books were indeed stolen, even if I didn't buy them.

Still... if all of this doesn't work and we inadvertently acquire stolen property... it is a royal hassle. I even testified before a grand jury last year (that's an experience!),

Doesn't matter to me.

The notion of inadequate coverage doesn't apply as well in this case. It's made confusing by the fact the OP appears to be claiming the insurance only covered a portion of the total value (if I recall he mentioned 80%).

The final sale price, not including the shipping cost, is what should have been the coverage amount. What the seller was originally asking has nothing to do with the sellers obligation to cover the insurable amount based on final sale value.

This will be discovered during the insurance claim process anyway as any communication used to complete the transaction would have produced the "$250 shipped" as the final price, and the amount appearing on the shipping receipt would be deducted from the total price to determine the final sale value for coverage purposes.

Overpaying for insurance does not make the item eligible for any overage exceeding the final sale amount.

Yes, but you again over complicating a simple transaction with your jargon.

The OP paid $250 for these books he will want to be made whole again. All that USPS will pay is $200 and maybe the cost of shipping (as I got that before).

So $50 is the difference here. My point is the seller could have avoided all of this with either adding a delivery signature or insurance over $200 bucks which he did neither. If I was the seller I would assume I would owe him $50, or hope the stolen books are recovered.

The notion that the cops are going to get fingerprints, and make this a high priority of their day is highly unlikely.

Seller and OP after they receive the $200 claim money form USPS (good luck with that happy horse of hoops you have to go through) will have to civilly agree where the difference is to made up and how much.

In Ohio, the comic shop owner is not responsible for buying stolen items unless it can be shown that he/she likely knew they were stolen (has something to do with the pawn shop laws in this state). HOWEVER -- a decent shop will take all of the precautions it can.

We photocopy the driver's license of the seller, which is attached to their signature on a declaration that they have the legal rights to the property being sold, to which I also attach any hand-written notes about the books I took while looking through them.

It also helps that we have a $20K multi-camera security system, images off of which have proven useful in 2 stolen property cases. Sometimes I just turn down books altogether for no other reason than that something smells funny... and once the would-be sellers leave, I have a staffer sneak out and get the license-plate # just in case I later find out the books were indeed stolen, even if I didn't buy them.

Still... if all of this doesn't work and we inadvertently acquire stolen property... it is a royal hassle. I even testified before a grand jury last year (that's an experience!),

Good points Bookery

Agreed upon price was $250.00 including shipping charges (asking price was higher). When shipping the package, the seller decided to pay to insure 80% of the price or $200.00.

Since I was successful in locating the slab my potential loss at this point is limited to the raw books.

If the post office does come through and pay the insurance claim for only the raw books the fun part will be figuring out the partial amount of the payment.

Should the post office come through with the full $200 I will give any excess to the LCS owner once I have been made whole.

Agreed upon price was $250.00 including shipping charges (asking price was higher). When shipping the package, the seller decided to pay to insure 80% of the price or $200.00.

Since I was successful in locating the slab my potential loss at this point is limited to the raw books.

If the post office does come through and pay the insurance claim for only the raw books the fun part will be figuring out the partial amount of the payment.

Should the post office come through with the full $200 I will give any excess to the LCS owner once I have been made whole.

Cool.

Now this thread is finally over.

Yes, but you again over complicating a simple transaction with your jargon.

Huh?

You're the one accusing the seller of dropping the ball for not covering the "full" final value amount.

I'm saying you have to deduct the shipping amount from the "$250 shipped" in order to arrive at the required insured value.

There is no point overpaying for insurance because the claim process will figure this out anyway.