• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Murry Orginal art in the form of a cell? Need help!

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a some orginal artwork located in what the person is calling it a cell He did art of Walt Disney comics I believe! he says its from 1962 or 1968 somewhere but wasnt sure at the time.I maybe should have put this in the marketplace but thought I would have more luck here.He talked about pages so am unsure how many are there.How much would something like this be worth any Ideas?

Thanks

Davidking623

Paul Murray? drew Mickey Mouse, I believe, in the 1970s. His comic art is more popular in Europe. Mickey original panel art is not hi-demand in USA or Canada compared to Uncle Scrooge ducks. Murray art rarely comes up for sale on eBay. May average $125-$150/page, if seller can find a buyer.

Don't know if he every drew any cels in late 60s. juggle.gif

Paul Murray? drew Mickey Mouse, I believe, in the 1970s. His comic art is more popular in Europe. Mickey original panel art is not hi-demand in USA or Canada compared to Uncle Scrooge ducks. Murray art rarely comes up for sale on eBay. May average $125-$150/page, if seller can find a buyer.

Don't know if he every drew any cels in late 60s. juggle.gif

Thanks!

Davidking623

Paul Murry started already in fifties and drew thousands of pages. He's quite popular. I think he is the second best Mickey Mouse artist and majority of Mickey stories in comic books from 1950-70 are done by him. Original pages doesn't seem very valuable though.

One example: http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=812&Lot_No=4156

I have never heard of cells done by Murry.

Paul Murry started already in fifties and drew thousands of pages. He's quite popular. I think he is the second best Mickey Mouse artist and majority of Mickey stories in comic books from 1950-70 are done by him. Original pages doesn't seem very valuable though.

One example: http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=812&Lot_No=4156

I have never heard of cells done by Murry.

Thanks so much Arty! I dont even know what a cell is as far as that goes! The person offering me this cell is a Grandson I believe and was handed down to him by Paul Murry himself.He is offering it to me at a 1000.00 dollars and am unsure of it would even value that! I would assume it is very rare but I dont really know that much about it is why I Thought a expert might know more and to ask here.He says there are quite a few pages to it but I didnt ask how many.I might have to get in touch with him again but wanted to know a little more about it before I did!

Thanks again,

Davidking623

Paul Murry's art from the 1970's is relatively common nowadays, even though it used to cost quite a lot more. I would estimate that 100-200 pages have turned up the last years, which have practically flooded the market. Older art from the 1950s/60s is rarer and may indeed have some value, if you are able to find it. (Not saying that Murry pages are *totally* worthless but affordable, depending on how attrative the specific page is).

/Germund

Yes, practically all Disney comic book art (except perhaps Carl Barks) is worth more in Europe, but I doubt the piles of D-coded stories Disney Auctioneers are selling at eBay will be worth as much in the future. The way to go has to be to bide your time for the right items and leave all average quality stories to somebody else. Disney Auctioneers have, a.f.a.I.k., not had any Murry art yet, but just a week ago or so they all of a sudden had two so called S-coded stories by Romano Scarpa up for auction, in addition to the D-coded ones from Egmont. Not very interesting stories per se perhaps, but the S-coded program (stories drawn in the US for the European market), involved some pretty nice artists, including Scarpa, Paul Murry, Tony Strobl, Al Hubbard etc

Anybody interested in Disney comic art ought to take a look at Heritage Auctions current offerings (also at eBay). Quite a few nice covers by Tony Strobl and others.

/Germund

Welcome, murryfan, and thanks for your info. Great to see another Disney fan

arriving! Thought you might enjoy the Halloween greeting below.

The art that Arty pointed to is from one of my favorite Murry stories. I can't

believe it sold so cheap! I remember enjoying Murry's best work almost as much

as Barks' when I was a kid.

ttsplash2.jpg

I dont even know what a cell is as far as that goes!

A cell is a "page" from an animated film or short...an animated movie consists of thousands of cells that are each just slightly differant than the other so that when "flipped" they project the illusion of movement...

A cell is truly beautiful when it is framed and matted....definatly a highly regarded genre..the best way to view a cell is to go to any Disney Store where they usually have several on display for sale that have already been matted and framed...

hkp,

Not even Murry pages from the Mickey Mouse serials in Walt Disney's Comics and Stories sell for higher amounts nowadays. I had pages from a several 1970's stories back when i still believed that was rare but at least two parts of the specific story you mention (The Golden Helmet) still exist (believe Carsten Laqua still has some). I actually believe (unconfirmed) that story is written by Carl Fallberg, who wrote most of the WDC&S Mickey serials in the 1950's.

And wow, the Trick or Treat splash page is gorgeous and it looks like it's the original artwork(?). Last time I heard anything about that splash it was owned by a collector here in Sweden. He was trying to sell it then, but that was probably ten years ago.

/Germund

Germund,

Nothing gets my collector's heart beating faster than inked Barks originals

from the (40s and) 50s. The Swedish collector (a really nice guy, btw.) finally

sold the TT splash to me last year, after I managed to convince him that it

would find a happy home among my other originals from the same period. If you

ever hear of any early pages/panels that are for sale, I would be very excited

to learn about it(!).