• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else run into these kind of ITP's?

24 posts in this topic

there's a particular type of insufficiently_thoughtful_person that wants attention so badly they haunt comic stores and bulletin boards saying stuff like: Brandi 10 • 26Feb08 12:41pm

My boyfriend has the first issue of Superman dated 1938 with the green car on the front ..... his father left it to him , it is in mint condition kept in those protective sleeves since he was young ...as well his father left him the entire Silver Surfer Collection... any idea where we can find out what that is worth?

Like theyre so clueless about everything and have never heard of google. They also act like they're too dumb to see the '#1' on the cover...everyone is supposed to gasp in shock and have spasms....some dude tried this at my buddy's comic store and almost popped a vein when my buddy didn't bite and kept saying 'I would have no idea what it's worth i'd have to see it'...HAHAHAHA CHECKMATE.

Nope.

BTW, marking out one letter in a 'bad word' here is considered masking of offensive language. You might want to edit/censor yourself before a mod has to do it for you. (They usually hand out a strike at the same time.)

:)

-slym

Nope.

BTW, marking out one letter in a 'bad word' here is considered masking of offensive language. You might want to edit/censor yourself before a mod has to do it for you. (They usually hand out a strike at the same time.)

I even edited my thread title!

;)

-slym

Nope.

-slym

YIKES! thanks for the heads up! ps here's how I dealt with one ITP recently:

You've all run into them. Non comic readers who see you reading a comic and strike up a conversation which inevitably

leads to the old ' Yeah, I used to have all those comics -Spiderman #1, Avengers #1 X Men #1-but my mom sold them at a

yard sale for $200 when I went to college.' You're supposed to gasp in shock at this incredible story. Here's how it went down recently the last time it happened to me:

The guy had just told me how he had #1 - 50 of Spiderman, Avengers, X Men. I wanted to let him have it this time because I'm

sick of these liars. So I gathered info first.

"Wow that's amazing. Were they in good condition?" I asked.

"They were in mint condition. I bought them when they came out and only read them once then put them in plastic bags. No one

and I mean no one was allowed to touch them."

"How old are you?"

"32"

"How could you have bought Spiderman #1 when it came out when you hadn't been born yet? It came out in 1962. You were born

in 1980."

"Oh I mean I bought them at a comic store when they got them."

"Oh. How old were you when you bought them?

"15. I was REALLY into comics. All my money went to comics."

"I bet. The comic store had complete runs of Spiderman, X Men and Avengers?"

"Well, I would buy them as they came in until I had complete runs."

"Hmm. In 1995, when you were 15, Spiderman #1 in mint condition was selling for about $40,000. Complete runs as you described

would be over $100,000. You must have been rich. And your mom must have known the value of these books, if her son was

spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on them....it seems hard to believe she would sell them at a yard sale for $200"

At this point the buffoon was becoming uncomfortable and soon mumbled something and left. These type of ITP's who don't read

comics and have a minimal knowledge of them are stupid to think they can trick an afficianado-but they never stop trying.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! Call these people on their BS

Some people are just very unknowledgeable. I had someone tell me they used to own a Thor #1 from trhe 60's. I just replied back "it must have been an annual because there is no Thor #1"

On the other hand, when I tell people I have X-men #1 - 350, I'm telling the truth. Not everyone is lying.

DG

true-but if i quizzed you about where you acquired them your story wouldn't fall apart like third world toilet paper....also you would never say you 'had' them but mom sold em in a yard sale.....wtf are all these yard sales anyway? everyone lost their valuable comics to these apocryphal sales but i have yet to see one.....

I have a Thor 1

rub some cream ointment on it

We've upgraded retorical comments.

ok here goes-loki tricked the thunder god and he was mighty thor about it....