• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do YOU feel about the "price guide" in the OSPG?

137 posts in this topic

Just how are they supposed to keep all of the thousands of comics listed in the guide updated?

What amount of market research would make this possible?

Do they scour ebay for sold listings?

Do they canvass every comic seller in the world?

Thank about the enormity of what's being asked here and then ask yourself if it's possible. If you answer yes, then you're wrong

As I mentioned, they should keep track of whatever they put in their price guide. If they just want to keep track of keys, only publish prices for keys. If they continue to publish thousands of comics, they should be able to update them.

:shrug:

-slym

I am not referring to the articles, the ads, nothing else but the price guide itself - how do you feel about it? Pardons for not being clear enough, but not even info that can just be found in the PG section such as 1st appearances and such, just the actual prices of the comics as reported by Bob Overstreet.

I think my views are well-known at this point... however, it makes me wonder why so many prices are so off - can the OSPG people not take the time to make their price guide part relevant? Are there too many books to update now, since due to the internet, thousands of comics are being sold (and reported as sold) and they aren't changed in the next guide?

I was told once that OSPG doesn't change prices on all books because they don't change from year to year, but that, IMHO, isn't true. They have changed, at least once, and I get proof every time I use the OSPG and sell at 50% or lower than their listed price.

It is time for them to look into ALL the comics they cover, and not just the keys and hot-book-of-the-time. Do your job, please. If the PG is too much as it is, drop stuff out of it. But PLEASE, keep up with all the things you DO cover!

/ :signrant:

Time for some tough love

Get a full time job, maybe two

Get a girlfriend

Get some friends

Find some non-comic related hobbies

Take time away form the boards

That has nothing to do with the thread & what it is about.

Thanks for the advice.

-slym

Just how are they supposed to keep all of the thousands of comics listed in the guide updated?

Thank about the enormity of what's being asked here and then ask yourself if it's possible. If you answer yes, then you're wrong

As I mentioned, they should keep track of whatever they put in their price guide. If they just want to keep track of keys, only publish prices for keys. If they continue to publish thousands of comics, they should be able to update them.

-slym

they update them every year

I don't understand how anyone could complain about anything that makes it so easy to get underpriced books all over the country. It's un fathomable. The fact that the OSPG sucks is the greatest thing about it.

they update them every year

I call wildly_fanciful_statement. I hear people tell me that prices on a lot of books never change year to year, and by my personal experience, the prices are wrong by a LARGE percentage. I doubt seriously that X-Men #99 has changed at all in the PG for years, although I can't prove it because I don't have mulitple years' issues. And if it hasn't changed, then it hasn't been updated because THE PRICE IN THERE NOW IS NOT WHAT YOU CAN SELL IT FOR. Nowhere near it.

-slym

-slym

You hit the nail on the head. Just keep the hot keys updated weekly.

The top 20 in gold, silver, bronze, copper and modern.

Why can`t they at least do that?

I don't understand how anyone could complain about anything that makes it so easy to get underpriced books all over the country. It's un fathomable. The fact that the OSPG sucks is the greatest thing about it.

Not if you are an independant seller.

-slym

-slym

If you are an "independent seller", whatever the f that is, and you need the OSPG to do it, you FAIL at selling, independently of any other issues.

If you are an "independent seller", whatever the f that is, and you need the OSPG to do it, you FAIL at selling, independently of any other issues.

I know that now. I am a failure.

:(

-slym

They seem do a pretty good job updating coins,action figures, Magic the Gathering cards,Lego and baseball cards prices online.

Time for a comic book price guide to use 21st century technology like the other hobbies.

I think comics are a different beast than those things. I agree that OS needs an electronic presence, just don't expect a massive revision in the pricing. I'm fairly certain they don't have the staff to pull that off.

-slym

They do update them, once a year.

That has nothing to do with the thread & what it is about.

Doesn't invalidate what I said.

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome

*sigh*

-slym

I've been there Slym and I'm telling you there's a way out of it. It's pull yourself up by your own bootstraps time. As I said, tough love. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. :foryou: