• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prediction: The movie announcement spike is going to lose effectiveness

26 posts in this topic

OK, here's the situation. At the last show I attended, I had to swap out my Strange Tales #110 to facilitate the purchase of a ASM 1. The ASM is whipped....but dangit, it's mine now! But before I left the convention, I decided I would hate it if I sold off my Strange Tales #110 and someone announced a movie about Dr. Strange. So I managed to find a beat up copy and I purchased it, not on speculation, but because Dr. Strange is so dang cool and a character I like to "own".

Why my paranoid purchase? Because I had a JIM 83 that I "temporarily" sold off to fund something else before the movie hype drove the cost way up. Same with a TOS39. So now I'm paranoid to sell off any key for fear of a movie announcement making them too expensive to buy back.

So then I started thinking...Hmm...maybe I should chase after books that already had a "movie pop", and dropped back to reasonable levels. So a "family purchase" for my kids recently included a pretty nice ASM 14. Then a week later, I heard that the Green Goblin will be in the next Spiderman movie.

But then I also read that they're trying to prep that movie arc for the Sinister Six, so there are other characters who already had their movies who may have another movie...will those pop again too? Should I chase them, or will I overpay?

Then it occurred to me that they are making so many damn movies now (because they are uber-profitable) that trying to predict who might be in what movie is getting to be difficult. I'm seeing that it's getting to the point where there are so many different movies coming with so many different characters that my money (and your money) is getting spread too thin. Yes, I like the idea of going into the Dr. Strange movie secure in the knowledge that I have a Strange Tales #110. I don't know why I like that...maybe I'm greedy...maybe I feel more connected with the character...but I do like that feeling. But it's getting to be impossible to have the feeling anymore. So many movies, so many characters. Perhaps I should just focus on what I like the most, without concerning myself about what movies are being made, and try not to overpay due to movie hype.

What do you guys think?

I think if you collect big SA keys and you don't already have Fantastic Four #1 it's time to buy.

I collect lower grades and I can tell you I paid more for my FF #1 CGC 1.5 than my Hulk #1 CGC 1.5; however, Hulk has gotten a huge bump since he was awesome in the Avengers movie. Now my Hulk book is worth almost double the FF #1.

If they make another FF movie that book will blow up too. Buy it now while the speculators are focused on other books. 2c