• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracks in CGC Holders

28 posts in this topic

Last night I took out my CGC collection (which consists of 346 books) to check for any cracks within the holders. To my surprise, 27 books had some form of crack on the slab. Some were very minor (1/4 inch line crack near the label), while overs had a 5 inch long crack along the back of the holder. None of these cracks have affected the books, but I'm still worried. I will probably re-submit 24 of the books for re-holding within the next couple of years since they have the old label anyway, but 3 of the books have the recent label. One of which I just received back from CGC with a 1-inch crack on the front cover.

I also checked for any SCS action. Most of my 9.4 and above books are o.k., except for one. I have a 9.8 book with a slightly stubbed corner. I can't imagine CGC giving it anything higher than a 9.6, so SCS is definitely to blame. If I decide to sell this book in the future, I will definitely mention the ding in my description tonofbricks.gif Thank goodness the book only cost me $35.

Did you notice these cracks when you first got them, or did they develop while being stored away confused-smiley-013.gif

Good question. I would say that 18 of them I kind of knew about. However, some of the minor cracks on the remaining 9, I had not noticed before. Perhaps they were there when I purchased these books (I'm not sure). The one book I do remember cracking myself was Daredevil # 192 CGC 9.8. I place my CGC books in these long boxes and in two columns. Since I was running out of boxes, I tried to squeeze more books into one column to make room. A week later I noticed the crack, which was caused by the pressure exerted from the other holders. Nowadays, I give my books a little more breathing space.

I've got one slabbed book with a crack running all away across the back, thanks to a bum packaging job from an ebay seller. Seller was willing to offer a full refund, but I didn't want to give the book back. Asked him to refund $11 for reholdering in return for positive feedback, and he refused. I've already sent the book back out for reslabbing. frustrated.gif

I store mine in CGC boxes (about $4 a box), they will hold 32-35 in a box pending if there are any GS books. I only have one thats cracked in the back, totally my fault. The boxes keep them nice and secure and nicely organized.

I've got one slabbed book with a crack running all away across the back, thanks to a bum packaging job from an ebay seller. Seller was willing to offer a full refund, but I didn't want to give the book back. Asked him to refund $11 for reholdering in return for positive feedback, and he refused.

Did you give him a neg?

I store mine in CGC boxes (about $4 a box), they will hold 32-35 in a box pending if there are any GS books. I only have one thats cracked in the back, totally my fault. The boxes keep them nice and secure and nicely organized.

Where can I get these boxes?

No, I didn't give him a neg, only because he did offer a full refund, but I wanted to keep the book as it went for a very good price, cracked slab or no. But I told him I wouldn't leave positive feedback, either. And I'm wary to buy from him again.

No, I didn't give him a neg, only because he did offer a full refund, but I wanted to keep the book as it went for a very good price, cracked slab or no. But I told him I wouldn't leave positive feedback, either. And I'm wary to buy from him again.

I avoid giving negative feedbacks beacuse of retribution, and neutral comments seem like a waist. Therefore, if I'm dissatisfied I just don't leave a feedback. However, it's a pain to see that item in your feedback list for 90 days.

Therefore, if I'm dissatisfied I just don't leave a feedback.

Sorry, totally disagree with this.

As a seller, I make it a point to leave feedback, just common courtesy. I cant stand it when feedback is not returned, for whatever reason.

As a buyer, if I am dissatisfied, I will try to work it out with the seller, and leave feedback accordingly. If it means receiving a neg, so be it, but I am not going to sugarcoat it.

Hell, if the feedback system was used properly, alot of BS could be avoided.

Therefore, if I'm dissatisfied I just don't leave a feedback.

Sorry, totally disagree with this.

As a seller, I make it a point to leave feedback, just common courtesy. I cant stand it when feedback is not returned, for whatever reason.

As a buyer, if I am dissatisfied, I will try to work it out with the seller, and leave feedback accordingly. If it means receiving a neg, so be it, but I am not going to sugarcoat it.

Hell, if the feedback system was used properly, alot of BS could be avoided.

Agreed, but my only negative feedback occurred when someone sold me a restored X-Men #1. I overpaid by $800 and the guy would not take it back. Of course as soon as I left a negative feedback, he did the same in retribution even though I paid the next day. The system should definately be changed to a point where if someone does everything correctly they should not be punished. If I left a negative feedback for everytime I got screwed by the seller, I'd have a bad rating because of retribution. If I decide to sell my books later on with a 95% rating, who's going to buy them?! I want to play by the rules, but I'm not sure how. Give me some pointers.

Give me some pointers.

I wish I knew.

Some of the things I do are,

1. Buy from people I have bought in the past and was pleased with.

2. Make sure you have a good scan/description of the item you want to buy.

As far as a seller with 100%feedback, this means nothing to me, as long as Ebays feedback program stays the same.

Lets just say there are lots more people like myself, who have collections out there and dont advertise it, I didnt want to trade or sell my collection to my LCS knowing it is worth more than I will be offered. So of to Ebay I go selling. I see what certain books are selling for and put up mine with no success, why? because the trust factor is not there because of improper feedback.

Sorry to rant, but I have bought books from 100% Powersellers for top dollar that wasnt worth S H I T, again because of improper feedback system....

Awwww the point I am trying and probably failing to make is just be truthful with feedback crazy.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Give me some pointers.

I wish I knew.

Some of the things I do are,

1. Buy from people I have bought in the past and was pleased with.

2. Make sure you have a good scan/description of the item you want to buy.

As far as a seller with 100%feedback, this means nothing to me, as long as Ebays feedback program stays the same.

Lets just say there are lots more people like myself, who have collections out there and dont advertise it, I didnt want to trade or sell my collection to my LCS knowing it is worth more than I will be offered. So of to Ebay I go selling. I see what certain books are selling for and put up mine with no success, why? because the trust factor is not there because of improper feedback.

Sorry to rant, but I have bought books from 100% Powersellers for top dollar that wasnt worth S H I T, again because of improper feedback system....

Awwww the point I am trying and probably failing to make is just be truthful with feedback crazy.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Again, I agree with everything you said. However, which seller would people be more likely to trust and bid on, someone with 500 feedbacks at 100%, or someone with 500 feedbacks at 95%? What the 100% rating tells me is that for the most part, the seller aims to please. Otherwise, he'd have at least 1 bad feedback. When I start selling books, I'll try to be as truthful and fair as possible with my grading, shipping, return policy, etc. However, I don't want to start that venture with a 95% feedback rating. Ebay should separate feedback ratings between buying and selling.

I avoid giving negative feedbacks beacuse of retribution, and neutral comments seem like a waist. Therefore, if I'm dissatisfied I just don't leave a feedback. However, it's a pain to see that item in your feedback list for 90 days.

Why don't you wait for the last possible day (last hour or so) to leave the other party a neg. Chances are they won't be online to see it until it is too late. Kinda sneaky. I have done it to a seller before. Man was he pissed when he found out he couldn't send on back my way because it had been over 90 days.