• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick Daredevil question....

29 posts in this topic

The Kevin Smith arc was a great read when it first came out, but doesn't stand the test of time. Smith's scripts are VERY wordy. The story beats are fine, but the heavy-handed text is a bit distracting.

Miller (Born Again) > Bendis > Brubaker > Smith > Nocenti > Diggle

Waid's current run is great, but differs in tone from the other writers.

A comic book, IMHO, should take more than 5 minutes to read... I guess if one was a fan of the big Claremont run on the X-Men, we'd like KS' scripts.

;)

-slym

I love the Claremont X-Men run, but there's sooooo much text in those. Every issue we had to be reminded of everyone's powers. You could literally not read the first two pages and still know what was going on.

[font:Book Antiqua]

I don't have read the Wait run yet,

he is a good writer, I enjoy his book Irredeemable.

But I like Daredevil more in the Edge side, dirty and dark.

The Smith, Bendis, Brubarker run is the best period for Daredevil after Miller (and Nocenti).

2c

By the way,

the stupid Marvel now is going to renumbering Daredevil again with another number #1

Mark Waid is still the writer, just another number 1 with more variants...

[/font]

:facepalm:

I have the Bendis and Brubaker runs and liked them both. I also like the Black Panther stuff that closed the title up.....different but good. It was fun seeing Black panther in Hell's Kitchen....

Well the Smith run has peeked my interest but I called my local library and it is not a book they carry., :sorry: A quick Google search told me it was reprinted in Daredevil Visionaries Kevin Smith is there another TPB version of it printed that anyone knows off??

Oh and thanks for all the quick comments and feedback, gotta love this place! :headbang:

I work for the library here in my county. While your local library may not have it, does your library have a sharing system? That is a group of libraries - within a county or several counties - agree to share materials. If one of the libraries within the system have a copy you can place a hold and it will be shipped to your local library for check-out. There's usually a nominal fee, about a buck, maybe less.

If not, ask your library about placing an Inter-Library Loan (ILL) hold. Many libraries throughout the country have an agreement to share materials throughout the state and even the country. Again, there'll be a small fee, but way cheaper than buying a copy.

A comic book, IMHO, should take more than 5 minutes to read... I guess if one was a fan of the big Claremont run on the X-Men, we'd like KS' scripts.

;)

I love the Claremont X-Men run, but there's sooooo much text in those. Every issue we had to be reminded of everyone's powers. You could literally not read the first two pages and still know what was going on.

I guess I just love reading...

:blush:

-slym

Last year I completed my full run of DD (finally) and read them all from V 1 issue 1 to the most recent. I have to say I was NOT impressed with Smith's writing. I generally like Kevin Smith, and I know he's a fan, but killing Karen Page was just plain lazy. It was a cheap way to create drama by squandering a sympathetic character. (Here's a can of worms - I feel the same way about how Miller treated Page during his run. . .)

If you do decide to read Smith's issues, prep yourself ahead of time by getting the Daredevil: Yellow miniseries. That got the bad taste out of my mouth that I got from Smith's treatment.

Bazborg