• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel or DC: who ruled the Bronze Age?

147 posts in this topic

Of course Marvel had its share of sub-par artists in the 70s. Much of Buckler's early work is hard to look at. I like Sal Buscema but I get why people don't. I have never been a fan of Herb Trimpe but others love his stuff.

George Tuska? :sick:

And of course, Marvel had Infantino on Nova and Ms Marvel.

For some odd reason both Marvel and DC continued to employ Colletta as an inker. :frustrated: Probably because he was prolific.

Vinnie saved Marvel and DC's arses numerous times by inking an entire book overnight to meet deadlines. Vinnie's line about giving the editors the option to have the book inked good or fast left them with no option in order to get it to the printers in time.

Pick up TwoMorrows book on Vinnie called Thin Black Line. Its an excellent read that highlights a good artist (yes, Vinnie was actually a good artists in the 1950's when he took his time, before he found his niche in saving editors on late books time and time again) making the decision to put books out quickly rather than care about his artistic reputation.

There's also several examples with photocopies of Kirby's work and the discrepancies/ommissions after Vinnie got through with the inking.

Couldn't disagree more. I love the Swanderson artwork that appeared consistently (without a lineup change every 6 months) on the Supes books for most of the decade. Love Aparo (in large doses) on B&B. The art on the Batman titles was spottier, but still serviceable. Dillin on JLA, again longterm consistency and serviceable.

I would have liked to see more than simply "longterm consistency and serviceable" Why settle for consistent mediocrity when you could be excited by the art?

I honestly can't imagine buying JLA week after week and being subjected to Dillin's competent yet thoroughly unexciting artwork.

I would have liked to see more than simply "longterm consistency and serviceable" Why settle for consistent mediocrity when you could be excited by the art?

I honestly can't imagine buying JLA week after week and being subjected to Dillin's competent yet thoroughly unexciting artwork.

In all fairness, you could probably say the say for some Marvel artists. For example, Don Perlin's work on Werewolf by Night and Ghost Rider was, as you say, competant but unexciting.

In all fairness, you could probably say the say for some Marvel artists. For example, Don Perlin's work on Werewolf by Night and Ghost Rider was, as you say, competant but unexciting.

Right, and that's why I said in another post that Marvel had its share of (my opinion) duds. Look at Ron Wilson's work for example. I would love to buy a bunch of Marvel Two-In-Ones as readers but I can't abide his work.

However, this is one Perlin cover that is awesome!

Werewolf_by_Night_Vol_1_36.jpg

I can't make an argument for it, but I enjoyed and continue to enjoy DC bronze superhero books much more than Marvel. I liked the fact that the DC stories weren't over the top with the hipster dialog, and I always loved DC's writers (Pasko, Maggin, Bates) much more than the Marvel writers who mostly just imitated Lee and Thomas.

In fact I remember being annoyed when Marvel writers took over DC books in the late '70's. I hated Gerry Conway on Superman.

I can't stand the artwork on most bronze DC superhero comics. It's just so ordinary. Not horrible, but certainly not eye popping either. Sure, you get the occasional Adams cover but think of how much better some of those books could have been had Adams been doing the interior art. Every so often, you'll be blessed with a Garcia-Lopez book. A few highlights are Grell on Legion and GL, Perez on JLA, and Marshall/Austin on Detective.

Aparo is best taken in small doses.

Action, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman art in the mid to late 70s is a wasteland. Flash has some nice Cardy covers but interiors by Novick :sick:

Ernie Chan (Chua) and Curt Swan were certainly competent artists but hardly dynamic. DC had some truly bad inkers such as Colletta and Springer. And don't get me started on Infantino in the late 70s/early 80s.

Infantino in the 60s = :)

Infantino in the later 70's/80s = :facepalm:

I'm with you there. I loved Nova from back then but the Infantino art on the later issues was just so distracting. That's what also stopped me from reading later issues of the Flash. I respect his abilities but just hated his later style.

I think its been well established on these boards that DC ruled the Golden Age, and Marvel ruled the Silver Age, but have we ventured into past discussions whereby we can say either Company ruled the Bronze Age?

It was an interesting period in comics:

-New artists such as Wrightson, Brunner, Kaluta, Rogers, Starlin, Miller, Byrne

-Marvels' overtaking DC in sales

-Multiple size/formats such as Treasuries, 100p giants, 52p giants, 1st graphic novel, etc

-Relaxed Comics Code leading to more Monster-themed titles

-The rise of the Magazines for the Big Two

-The DC Implosion

So, which publisher dominated?

I just realized I forgot to consider digests. Some had great original material mixed in with reprints.

KIRBY DC Books..writing and art......Kamandi was always a great read and his block figures always seem to balance on the page.

DC needs to reintroduce a Kamandi title today!

Definitely an often overlooked gem from the Bronze age.

I can't make an argument for it, but I enjoyed and continue to enjoy DC bronze superhero books much more than Marvel. I liked the fact that the DC stories weren't over the top with the hipster dialog, and I always loved DC's writers (Pasko, Maggin, Bates) much more than the Marvel writers who mostly just imitated Lee and Thomas.

In fact I remember being annoyed when Marvel writers took over DC books in the late '70's. I hated Gerry Conway on Superman.

I can't stand the artwork on most bronze DC superhero comics. It's just so ordinary. Not horrible, but certainly not eye popping either. Sure, you get the occasional Adams cover but think of how much better some of those books could have been had Adams been doing the interior art. Every so often, you'll be blessed with a Garcia-Lopez book. A few highlights are Grell on Legion and GL, Perez on JLA, and Marshall/Austin on Detective.

Aparo is best taken in small doses.

Action, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman art in the mid to late 70s is a wasteland. Flash has some nice Cardy covers but interiors by Novick :sick:

Ernie Chan (Chua) and Curt Swan were certainly competent artists but hardly dynamic. DC had some truly bad inkers such as Colletta and Springer. And don't get me started on Infantino in the late 70s/early 80s.

Infantino in the 60s = :)

Infantino in the later 70's/80s = :facepalm:

I'm with you there. I loved Nova from back then but the Infantino art on the later issues was just so distracting. That's what also stopped me from reading later issues of the Flash. I respect his abilities but just hated his later style.

I have never been a fan of Infantino's art except when inked by Murphy Anderson.

But I agree, I respect his impact in the field and innovativeness.

Just need some confirmation regarding when the Bronze Age ended.

If it ended prior to 1984, then I would have to say Marvel dominated the 70s, but as we venture into 1984 - 1987, I would have to say there was a significant resurgence at DC, and that's when they regained their #1 status, albeit briefly, before the McSpidey's, Lee X-Men, et al entrenched Marvel at the #1 spot again.

Just need some confirmation regarding when the Bronze Age ended.

Ask five people and you'd likely get 5 different answers. (shrug)

I think 1984 is too late for the end of Bronze. A couple years earlier makes more sense for me.

Of course, I'm a big fan of a brief transition age that spans 1980-1984. Call it Cronze ;)

If it ended prior to 1984, then I would have to say Marvel dominated the 70s, but as we venture into 1984 - 1987, I would have to say there was a significant resurgence at DC, and that's when they regained their #1 status, albeit briefly, before the McSpidey's, Lee X-Men, et al entrenched Marvel at the #1 spot again.

DC in the mid to later 80s rocked. Lots of good stuff there. Giffen/Dematteis JL being among my absolute favorites.

Check out the Doom Patrol Secret Origins issue drawn by Byrne. Some of his best work ever, imo.

DC in the mid to later 80s rocked. Lots of good stuff there. Giffen/Dematteis JL being among my absolute favorites.

Yes, some very significant works by DC:

-Moore Swampy

-Miller DKR

-Moore Watchmen

-Byrne leaves Marvel to work on DC's Man of Steel mini, Action & Superman

-Re-launches galore! Justice League, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman

-Wolfman/Perez' Crisis on Infinite Earths

-Miller's Batman Year 1

Did I miss any?

I'm with you there. I loved Nova from back then but the Infantino art on the later issues was just so distracting.

At the time, Nova was a very popular character with kids and we viewed him as "our Spider-man", but when Infantino puked all other the character, we all dropped the book like a bad habit.

That was one of the dumbest moves Marvel ever did, as it totally killed the book and was certainly the main reason for the series' cancellation.

* I can even remember we all started buying MTU at that point, which was about when Byrne started the title, so it all turned out alright.

Yes, some very significant works by DC:

-Moore Swampy

-Miller DKR

-Moore Watchmen

-Byrne leaves Marvel to work on DC's Man of Steel mini, Action & Superman

-Re-launches galore! Justice League, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman

-Wolfman/Perez' Crisis on Infinite Earths

-Miller's Batman Year 1

Did I miss any?

Aren't we talking about the Bronze Age, which is 1970-80/81, and please don't get into that retcon revisionist, dealer-driven BS from OS where it almost drifts into the 90's. lol