• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutely "Must Own" McFarlane Covers?

62 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed Jeff Purves art for the "Mr. Fixit" Hulk.

I think his Hulk run is underrated because he followed McFarlane who became a superstar of the biz. 2c

Hulk 354 is still one of my favorite Hulk covers.

imagejpg1_zps7edbd643.jpg

Gotta love his X-Men/Spidey Marvel Tales covers. :cloud9: Look great in 9.8.

1zpjqtd.jpg

2r55eeo.jpg

Come to think of it, Spider-Man looks out of place on both covers? Am I the only one who thinks he is too small to "fit" into these pictures?

Have to be honest but the art blows? Love Hulk #341 and some of the Spawn stuff but in general his artwork is sub par IMO. The faces look wrong, so do the body shapes and his penchant for ultra busy covers is painful to the eye at first sight. Pretty much sums up a lot of what was wrong with junk from the 90's. :shy:

Gotta love his X-Men/Spidey Marvel Tales covers. :cloud9: Look great in 9.8.

1zpjqtd.jpg

2r55eeo.jpg

Come to think of it, Spider-Man looks out of place on both covers? Am I the only one who thinks he is too small to "fit" into these pictures?

Have to be honest but the art blows? Love Hulk #341 and some of the Spawn stuff but in general his artwork is sub par IMO. The faces look wrong, so do the body shapes and his penchant for ultra busy covers is painful to the eye at first sight. Pretty much sums up a lot of what was wrong with junk from the 90's. :shy:

Looking back at some of McFarlane's work, I have to agree with his own assessment of his work, which is that he thought he wasn't as good as people thought he was. I think his talent is in design and layout, which really helped catch the eye. When he used thick panel borders it always made the work look nicer, I think.

I might put Invasion #1 on the list

It looks like McFarlane, but it's a Bart Sears cover.

Wow. So it is. It's been over 25 years since that book came out and I never realized.

I absolutely love it. It's beautiful, classic McFarlane, from 1988, the period before he started phoning it in (as you can see on the Marvel Tales covers.)

And, the best part about it? #1 and #2 are 80 pages each of gorgeous McFarlane art in each one. Page after page of it.

Cheap.

This is going to sound silly considering how comic production is these days, but for a while ASM 314 was one of my favorite covers on any comic. There was something about the snow (lacking ink outlines) that did it for me. Nothing special these days, but it stood out when it came out.

It's a great cover. Nobody does draping like McFarlane. Sounds odd, but it's completely true. Despite the fact that MJ's cloak/jacket looks like silk, which would be odd in the snow, the way it drapes on the front steps is pretty spiffy.