• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jesus in Golden Age Comics?

39 posts in this topic

From 1942-1943 the Standard Publish Company printed a three issue series called The Life of Christ Visualized. I was wondering if anybody knows of any other Golden Age depictions of Jesus in comics, whether reverent, irreverent, or simply creative suggestions of Christ? Thanks.

LifeofChristVisualized03.jpg

From 1942-1943 the Standard Publish Company printed a three issue series called The Life of Christ Visualized. I was wondering if anybody knows of any other Golden Age depictions of Jesus in comics, whether reverent, irreverent, or simply creative suggestions of Christ? Thanks.

LifeofChristVisualized03.jpg

These are gorgeous books, and come in two distinct packages, one a shallow rectagonal cardboard box, and the other a fold-over mailer, both with the same graphics.

I'm assuming they were also available as individual issues, if memory serves the copyright dates stretched over two or three years.

Also, look for another three issue set of comics from the same publisher, "New Testament Visualized"

Here are two of them.

BibleTalesForYoungFolk2.jpg

ClassicsIllustratedSpecial-Jesus_zps2bfbfbca.jpg

The Bible Tales for Young Folks are very well done. It was one of the few bound sets in Stan Lee's File collection. They include stories by all the Atlas greats. The # 2 pictured above is one of my favorites with a cool Everett story about John the Baptist..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

OK, the Topix books arrived in Italy today! :whee:

I don’t know the date of the Atlas book and the Classic Illustrated, but maybe chronologically this is the first life of Jesus, after the one posted by the OP? It surely predates Treasure Chest, which started in 1946.

From Topix, January 1945 issue:

2gWr24Ah.jpg

And this is the "cover" (they had no cover, and are very slim books, without staples – these were apparently bounded).

GlwyXnHh.jpg

The coolest thing I have found so far is a life of St. Benedict, whose splash panel shows the bombing of the Montecassino abbey from the Allies, which happened just a few months before the comic came out (in early 1944):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cassino

The Bible Tales for Young Folks are very well done. It was one of the few bound sets in Stan Lee's File collection. They include stories by all the Atlas greats. The # 2 pictured above is one of my favorites with a cool Everett story about John the Baptist..... GOD BLESS...

Wow, Everett (and Jerry Robinson?) – it seems less common for early religious comics to have great artwork, with due exceptions – would love to see the Everett story. The graphic design of that Atlas book is also pretty modern, which is the publishing date?

The Bible Tales for Young Folks are very well done. It was one of the few bound sets in Stan Lee's File collection. They include stories by all the Atlas greats. The # 2 pictured above is one of my favorites with a cool Everett story about John the Baptist..... GOD BLESS...

Wow, Everett (and Jerry Robinson?) – it seems less common for early religious comics to have great artwork, with due exceptions – would love to see the Everett story. The graphic design of that Atlas book is also pretty modern, which is the publishing date?

....circa '53 if I recall...... and all are well worth seeking out. If no one beats me to it, I'll try to photograph a few this weekend...... Shores, Benulis, Colan, Anderson, Sinnott, Maneely, .....the gangs all there. GOD BLESS....

I have never seen a pre-Marvel age Colan, and Maneely is awesome – thanks!

Colan's work becomes very similar to his Marvel style as early as 1953.... some of my favorite Colan work is from '56-'58 in the Atlas war genre..... inked with a Drucker style but unmistakenly Colan. Check out www.atlastales.com and click on titles, click the title you want and thumbnails of every cover in that title will appear. You can then click a specific cover to get that issue's content..... some provide scans of splash pages also. GOD BLESS....