• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New sales numbers for November 2013. Surprises ???

59 posts in this topic

Voice in the Dark #1 will be a really interesting title at 10k. It's a considerably low run for an Image #1 while getting some rave reviews among critics & boardies. If Larime Taylor can keep up the quality as well as the deadlines, the #1 could have legs.

Not that low for a first-time creator/unknown on a new book. I was told to expect 3.5k, so blew that out of the water.

#2 dropped, as #2 usually does, but #3 is holding steady, maybe even bouncing back up a bit.

That's great news, Larime. I was thinking betweek 5-7K for the first issue.

10K is impressive, but not surprising given the quality of the content and effort you put in to get the word out. Keep up the great work.

It's funny you call yourself an unknown but based on the boards I would've thought otherwise. =D

For a #1 I'd be happy with just a simple intro to the characters and quality premise, but AVITD #1 gave that and way more. I'm looking forward to where the series is going and hope it picks up many readers along the way.

It's no surprise, but it's still interesting that the Top 4 biggest sellers from Dark Horse are all Star Wars books...

I'm not hating, I just cant believe Mind MGMT sells less than 6k an issue lol It's worthy of way more.

Manifest Destiny #1, 17,371

I think thats a nice number for that book. It probably won't appeal to everybody but people who like it, like it a lot. Good reviews and word of mouth to this point.

I was surprised with that number also, although factoring in international sales I'd guess it was probably around a 22,000 print run.

Another factor why it had a lower print run than recent Image #1 is it wasn't part of the offered "retailer returnable" incentive (like Velvet #1, Pretty Deadly #1 & Black Science #1) which would explain the second printing this month as people would have missed out.

Overall I think that its numbers will still grow in the coming months.

Any thoughts on the Valiant numbers? I've enjoyed most of their books so far and they seem to be doing a good job of marketing them, but I'm not seeing any new readers from month to month. I figured Unity #1 would have boosted some of the other books last month.

I think selling a "universe" in today's market is a no-win situation. Even Marvel and DC have loosened continuity greatly over the past 10-15 years because people are more interested in well written stories than whether or not Peter Parker was wearing the same pair of pants in two comics that took place on the same day. (Just for the record, I believe tight continuity and good stories are not mutually exclusive.) It's also a matter of economics for many readers. Do I buy the self contained titles that Image is putting out or do I buy the X-O Manowar title, knowing it'll crossover with other titles, etc. ala what Marvel and DC do? I know if I were a new reader, which way I would lean.

Valiant has put out their big guns and retailers and readers has responded ... with a mostly muted response. I think Valiant needs to be investing in new characters and trying to get people to like those characters. Introducing just old characters and titles was good for the first few titles, but after that, they should be mixing in new stuff. That might help them generate buzz and would not hurt with back issue sales which also helps them generate more buzz. A new X-O Manowar is all fine and good, but no collector is going to be looking at #1 of the new series as the first appearance, they are going to pick up #1 of the original series. Valiant in the 90s knew how to produce good stories and drive sales to new comics based on the collector market. New Valiant hasn't figured that out yet, instead choosing to flood the market with variant covers and second prints which IMHO killed collector interest.

You have to hand it to them though, their marketing machine does the full court press month in and month out. Unity #1 with is multiple covers and incentives broke into the top 25 titles for the month which is great for exposure. Unfortunately, it will probably settle into the 10 - 15,000 range by the 6th issue though.

Now we have some armor hunters thing upcoming this summer. The only problem with the advanced marketing for that event is the imagery they are using (X-O Manowar's broken helmet) has already been used twice now by VEI and I think it has lost its effectiveness. If that image didn't draw in new readers the first 2 times you tried it, why market using that imagery again? Time for something new, not something that was already done.

I watch the monthly sales and it really doesn't correlate with what I see in sales locally at the LCS>

15 Avengers 23 $3.99 Marvel 66,501

16 Uncanny X-Men 14 $3.99 Marvel 65,655

17 Detective Comics 25 $3.99 DC 64,392

18 Superior Spider-Man Annual 1 $4.99 Marvel 63,595

19 Uncanny Avengers 14 $3.99 Marvel 60,750

20 Superman Wonder Woman 2 $3.99 DC 60,185

21 Unity 1* $3.99 Valiant 60,003

22 New Avengers 12 $3.99 Marvel 58,807

23 X-Men 7 $3.99 Marvel 56,968

24 Saga 16 $2.99 Image 54,593

25 Green Lantern 25 $2.99 DC 54,322

26 Batman And Two Face 25 $2.99 DC 53,374

27 Damian Son of Batman 2 $3.99 DC 51,840

28 The Star Wars (Lucas Draft) 3 $3.99 Dark Horse 50,346

29 Action Comics 25 $3.99 DC 46,550

I saw the sales of Unity, Superior Spiderman, Saga that would put it up in the top thirty. The rest I didn't see. ARe these sales matching up to your LCS experience?

I think that pretty deadly, manifest destiny, voice in the dark, Umbral have smaller then expected print runs about 15-20,000 each....

To me it means that speculation has moved away from image making it ironically ripe for speculation....

I found this and a couple of other articles on Investcomics iste. It is a rundown of all titles that were new for 2013 for Image and how they are progressing...or not :grin:

http://investcomics.com/features/image-comics-every-new-series-of-2013-number-ones-sales-figures

There are also charts for DC and Marvel. Very nice bit of info. :applause:

How does the fact that many "monthly" titles AREN'T monthly impact these numbers?

For example:

One title puts out 6 issues in a 12 month period, averaging 12,000 copies per issue.

A second title puts out 12 issues in a 12 month period, averaging 8,000 copies per issue.

The first title sold 72,000 comics in 12 months.

The second title sold 96,000 comics in 12 months.

For the 12 months we're reviewing, the second title sold 33% more comics.

The first title appears to be the bigger "hit", since they average 50% more comics per issue than the second title.

Which represents better sales numbers?

I found this and a couple of other articles on Investcomics iste. It is a rundown of all titles that were new for 2013 for Image and how they are progressing...or not :grin:

http://investcomics.com/features/image-comics-every-new-series-of-2013-number-ones-sales-figures

There are also charts for DC and Marvel. Very nice bit of info. :applause:

"Jupiters Legacy #1 comes out easily as the #1 best selling new Image comic of the year and the only new title with sales over 60,000 with a whopping 105,000 copies ordered due to 4 covers and a high profile writer and artist."

sure way to put a book in dollar bin, but this first super hero I read in last 20 years that is interesting. #3 is very good, but not being a monthly book will kill itself.

"Sex continues to drop every single issue but the sales drop is fairly low and readership at #8 is still more than 50% of #1."

couldn't believe that many people want SEX.

EOW, five ghosts,Sex looks like the winner of the year for new books.

How does the fact that many "monthly" titles AREN'T monthly impact these numbers?

For example:

One title puts out 6 issues in a 12 month period, averaging 12,000 copies per issue.

A second title puts out 12 issues in a 12 month period, averaging 8,000 copies per issue.

The first title sold 72,000 comics in 12 months.

The second title sold 96,000 comics in 12 months.

For the 12 months we're reviewing, the second title sold 33% more comics.

The first title appears to be the bigger "hit", since they average 50% more comics per issue than the second title.

Which represents better sales numbers?

This is why apples should only be compared to apples. Whether title two sold 33% more than title one is pretty irrelevant in judging how each book is doing over time.

For that, each book should be compared unto itself. If Batman started out the year at 140,000 and ended it at 120,000, while Saga started at 40,000 and ended at 60,000. Saga is clearly doing far better than Batman, in terms of itself and change over time.

I think my local shop ordered 10% of the HQ run, he's going to get stuck with a ton of then and then they will sit like dead weight in my comic cave for 10 years after I fish them out of the 3 for $2 box