• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And we have a winner...

87 posts in this topic

I used to sell on ebay. How long ago? Let's just say...before Harry Potter figures by Mattel came out (2000?).

In a toy store I found bootleg 6" carded HP action figures which looked like they were patterned after those done by Enesco (not sure how big they were). Trying to cash in on the HP mania, I put them on ebay with the title "Harry Potter enesco unbranded (name of character)." I did say on the description that they were merely "patterned after enesco figures." "Unbranded" was a term I saw a local seller used to describe his bootleg toys so I thought it was customary to do so.

I received a pm asking: "Are you sure they are by Enesco? Because they look fake."

My reply was: "Bootleg=unbranded=fake."

Sorry m'man, that listing title is misleading.

Gotta agree. If it's not Enesco then why the heck put "enesco" in the title?

"CGC it" anyone?

Uh...I think I'm getting undue flak here.

Yes, the title was misleading. But saying on the description that it was an imitation absolves me, I think. I'm not even sure if Enesco is popular. I know I added "figure" to the title when no HP action figures were yet available. Enesco made non-poseable figures prior so I thought the name would help me reach my target market, to stand out among all the HP merchandise listed.

Despite the low quality, I've received no complaints. So that pm seemed strange, if not funny.

"CGC it" is perfectly acceptable for me, even less deceptive than my title. By adding "it," the seller is saying it's not professionally graded. If the prospective buyer clicks it and sees it's raw, he might take a gamble or move on. The choice is his.

I've done worse title-pimping.

The Daredevil figure in "Spider-Man Classics" (Toy Biz, 2000) had a classic yellow variant, so rare that it usually fetched $100+.

When I put some Marvel Legends series 1 Iron Man gold variant (TB, 2001) on Ebay, guess what added to the title? You're right, "yellow Daredevil."

A local ebayer pm'ed me as to why I added such words when clearly my item isn't. I said I wanted lots of hits.

Got the (undeserved) hits alright. But the 3 Iron Man gold variants I sold reached just a quarter of the Daredevil price ($26 max).

Edit: added why I used the word Enesco.

But the issue is that by using words in the title that do not apply to the auction, you're just polluting the search results of everyone else. When I want to buy a "yellow Daredevil," and search for a "yellow Daredevil," and get your Iron Man Gold variant, I'm going to click on it to see why. And then click "back" in disgust. So yeah, you got a hit, but not a bid.

Same with "CGC it!" Sellers are trying to get people who want a graded comic to buy their raw comic, presumably hoping they bid by their mobile or something and don't look carefully. If I went the extra step of searching for "Super-guy #2 CGC 9.8," obviously I don't want a raw. If a raw was okay, I would have just searched for "Super-guy #2."

I haven't sold much on eBay yet, maybe there's some mystique behind pimping auction titles that I'm just too much of a rookie to understand. (shrug)

Not to mention the fact that this thread is about silly things eBay buyers do. You were misleading in your listing and the guy was absolutely right to question you, and was actual pretty nice about it.

I used to sell on ebay. How long ago? Let's just say...before Harry Potter figures by Mattel came out (2000?).

In a toy store I found bootleg 6" carded HP action figures which looked like they were patterned after those done by Enesco (not sure how big they were). Trying to cash in on the HP mania, I put them on ebay with the title "Harry Potter enesco unbranded (name of character)." I did say on the description that they were merely "patterned after enesco figures." "Unbranded" was a term I saw a local seller used to describe his bootleg toys so I thought it was customary to do so.

I received a pm asking: "Are you sure they are by Enesco? Because they look fake."

"CGC it" anyone?

Yes, the title was misleading. But saying on the description that it was an imitation absolves me, I think.

Well, you think wrong. Not only is key-word spamming against eBay policies, it's also the territory of the snake oil salesman.

"CGC it" is perfectly acceptable for me, even less deceptive than my title. By adding "it," the seller is saying it's not professionally graded. If the prospective buyer clicks it and sees it's raw, he might take a gamble or move on. The choice is his.

I'm sure you have.

And I also wonder what other 'small' misrepresentations you've been party to? Hell, if you can justify them to yourself through some convoluted grey logic, what's the harm?

"CGC it" anyone?

Yes, the title was misleading. But saying on the description that it was an imitation absolves me, I think.

Well, you think wrong. Not only is key-word spamming against eBay policies, it's also the territory of the snake oil salesman.

I'm sure you have.

And I also wonder what other 'small' misrepresentations you've been party to? Hell, if you can justify them to yourself through some convoluted grey logic, what's the harm?

A good rule of thumb: if you think you're doing something of which you need to absolve yourself, you're doing it wrong. (thumbs u

"CGC it" anyone?

I'm sure you have.

A good rule of thumb: if you think you're doing something of which you need to absolve yourself, you're doing it wrong. (thumbs u

Exactly, if you can say that "the title was misleading but......" then you're just being misleading.

And here we go again...sigh.

I have an FF1 listed at £2500, and I get an offer of £2501 - how is that even possible ?

Two messages from the guy -

is there any room for me to make a profit on this if i was to resell after giving u the offer agreed in principal. ?

look forward to doing business with u. i am new to this site and may have some comics of interest to u, i have a very good collection. if there is anything ur after, contact me and i will see if i can accomodate u.

followed by...

what condition is ur fantastic four issue 1 in my friend.

and which year is this copy ??

Are these people serious...or deluded...or what ?

Lord preserve us.

Apart from the fact that they sound as thick as a plank, I always do my best to avoid doing business with someone who can't type a message properly. A few spelling mistakes doesn't bother me but I always get a bad feeling if they barely even make sense then I get a bad feeling about them.

I only occasionally sell on eBay because I don't want the hassle of having to deal with scammers and thick people.

And here we go again...sigh.

I have an FF1 listed at £2500, and I get an offer of £2501 - how is that even possible ?

Two messages from the guy -

is there any room for me to make a profit on this if i was to resell after giving u the offer agreed in principal. ?

look forward to doing business with u. i am new to this site and may have some comics of interest to u, i have a very good collection. if there is anything ur after, contact me and i will see if i can accomodate u.

followed by...

what condition is ur fantastic four issue 1 in my friend.

and which year is this copy ??

Are these people serious...or deluded...or what ?

Lord preserve us.

Wow, I'm sure the money is tempting but I'd decline that offer. That's some sketchy stuff right there, and with eBay/PP, you'd be at this guy's mercy.

I'm going to hazard a guess that he has a feedback score of 5 or under as well - probably a new member, right? I saw your ad, and it's CGC graded with a large photo... I definitely wouldn't sell to someone who asked me what condition a book was in, in those circumstances!

Feedback of 2, new to ebay...as Speedy says, I'd be at his mercy and it's just not worth it. I still don't understand how it's possible to offer more than the buy it now price ? I seem to remember accidentally putting in a higher amount on something and a message popping up...dunno ?

The biggest number of Negs are always left during Christmas by absolutely-insane buyers who somehow think that the postal system can deliver something bought on the 23rd by the 24th, when in reality, actual mail delivery stops the week before Christmas - only tracked express parcels ever make it here.

A few years ago, I had some bi-polar psychopath lady from TN tell me "all of my other packages from Canada got here in 1 day".

I would recommend everyone shut down on eBay around 15th or so and let the jerks buy-then-Neg someone else.

A few years ago, I had some bi-polar psychopath lady from TN tell me "all of my other packages from Canada got here in 1 day".

I heard Santa pulls some extra income on the 24th doing side work for Canada Post.

:signfunny:

"CGC it" anyone?

Yes, the title was misleading. But saying on the description that it was an imitation absolves me, I think. I'm not even sure if Enesco is popular. I know I added "figure" to the title when no HP action figures were yet available. Enesco made non-poseable figures prior so I thought the name would help me reach my target market, to stand out among all the HP merchandise listed.

Despite the low quality, I've received no complaints. So that pm seemed strange, if not funny.

The Daredevil figure in "Spider-Man Classics" (Toy Biz, 2000) had a classic yellow variant, so rare that it usually fetched $100+.

When I put some Marvel Legends series 1 Iron Man gold variant (TB, 2001) on Ebay, guess what added to the title? You're right, "yellow Daredevil."

A local ebayer pm'ed me as to why I added such words when clearly my item isn't. I said I wanted lots of hits.

Got the (undeserved) hits alright. But the 3 Iron Man gold variants I sold reached just a quarter of the Daredevil price ($26 max).

Edit: added why I used the word Enesco.

I dont think "unbranded" is as universally understood as well as bootleg and/or fake.

unbranded is the word someone who doesnt want the stigma of "fake" or "bootleg" attached to their auction uses.

(Im not saying that's your intent, but I am saying that would be my assumption if I saw someone do it out in the wild)

and money where mouth is here are my most recent ebay title listings:

Superman: Red Son: The Deluxe Edition HC Mark Millar Hardcover OOP

House of Mystery 201 CGC 9.4 Kaluta Gothic Horror

Fantastic Four Omnibus by Jonathan Hickman Vol 1

Chamber of Chills #3 CGC 9.2 WHITE Marvel Horror

Secrets of Sinister House #5 CGC 7.5 Horror Cardy

every word was directly related to the thing I was selling, or was a word I thought someone who would be interested in my book would search for.

Keyword spamming is not allowed...on paper. Know of anyone who got suspended for doing this?

I'm sure you have.

I've said title-pimping so it's limited to just the title. I've always used the description to indicate if the item is "unbranded" or if it has any defect that I know of. That was why I've said I didn't receive complaints for these items. Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

Keyword spamming is not allowed...on paper. Know of anyone who got suspended for doing this?

I'm sure you have.

I've said title-pimping so it's limited to just the title. I've always used the description to indicate if the item is "unbranded" or if it has any defect that I know of. That was why I've said I didn't receive complaints for these items. Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

So basically, you'll do something you know is wrong - Keyword spamming is not allowed - so long as you think you'll get away with it?

And let's drop the 'title-pimping', shall we, and call it what it is - misrepresentation in order to secure personal gain.

Well if it's only a rule "on paper" then that's fine!

At best, what you're doing is very annoying for people who are searching for something else.

At worst it's shady.

Either way, you're unlikely to convince people in this thread that it's acceptable behaviour.

Also, if you can't imagine people buying off ebay without reading a description then you lack imagination.

"Absolves" is probably the wrong word to use. It was the first word to come to my mind to describe the situation.

If the buyer doesn't know that "unbranded" is an euphemism for fake, then using "patterned after" should make it pretty clear in my description.

I guess most of the buyers just didn't care if they were fake.

Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

:roflmao:

I have logged on to ebay and bought something with 10 seconds to go, what I got was not CGCd as advertised as in the title.

I claimed, got a refund and left neg feedback for wasting my time (thumbs u

So basically, you'll do something you know is wrong - Keyword spamming is not allowed - so long as you think you'll get away with it?

And let's drop the 'title-pimping', shall we, and call it what it is - misrepresentation in order to secure personal gain.

Yes to the first question. Ebay put that rule to discourage people from (to quote an earlier poster) "polluting the search engine." But it's mostly lip service.

You could say I'm after maximum exposure, which does not equate to a higher price, sadly. So my "personal gain" is just that: maximum exposure.

At best, what you're doing is very annoying for people who are searching for something else.

Either way, you're unlikely to convince people in this thread that it's acceptable behaviour.

It's a bit annoying when other sellers do it, I admit. But since I also do it, who am I to complain?

I'm not trying to convince people that it's acceptable, just trying to explain why other sellers do it, myself included. At least that's my point of view.