• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vintage Staple question---also, replaced?

4 posts in this topic

What are the common features of vintage golden age staples, as well as possible signs for replacement? I have a Gold comic that I received the other day and the staples, although thinner, longer, and duller in tone than modern staples (Which makes me to believe they're vintage, but I could be wrong), are a bit "crossed over" to the sides of each staple on the stapled part. Very much UNLIKE the modern staples of today that seem to line up perfectly and come to a perfect, horizontal "meeting", so to speak. As this is my only Golden age "loose" comic, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. Unfortunately, I'm not picture capable at the current moment. Scanner is down....so, when you see a staple that is like that, is that a general sign of replacement?

Brent

GA staples can vary widely in size, appearance, bend etc. The "crossing over" you describe is pretty common overall.

General signs of either replacement or at least the staples having been removed and then put back (usually for some restoration process requiring the cover to be removed).

Check the centerfold. You should see an indent where the staples are. The shape of the indent should match the configuration of the staple. You will often see impressions of the legs in the paper as well. Again, check to see that the direction and length of the legs match the impression.

On the more esoteric end, if you can get a magnifier, check the staple for scrapes, scratches etc. These could be signs of either rough cleaning or poor handling (some folks use metal implements to remove the staples, which can leave scratches etc. I preferred fingernails.) Look for signs of the legs being bent and re-bent (in an attempt to match the existing centerfold impressions). These are some basic but effective tips.