• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look suspicious to anyone?

12 posts in this topic

I believe he is one of the folks who won some of the Thrillings off ComicConnect a couple of years ago then tried to sell them on ebay. I don't know if he ever manged to sell any of them tough.

Looking at the first ebay listing, it looks like he had a reserve on the book and it did not sell. The listing says he has relisted it.

There was no reserve on it - I had been watching the listing. The final bid showed up in green as a "winning bid"; that's why it threw up a red flag for me when I saw it relisted. It's more obvious in this list:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=chalcusx&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Hmm...the winning bidder has a feedback score of 467, and chalcusx has a feedback score of 246. If the winning bidder has 4% activity with chalcusx, that mean they've had at least 10 transactions together if it's 4% of Patrick's transactions, a least 18 if it's 4% of the bidder's transactions.

Either way, for a transaction to go kablooey between eBayers with an established history doesn't look too good.

Here's one interesting article I pulled up on shill bidding. In at least one case there was apparently a ring; I guess a bunch of art dealers were trying to do one another a solid by bidding on each other's items.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/tech/00/06/biztech/articles/07ebay-fraud.html